Chefelf.com Night Life: War of the Worlds - Chefelf.com Night Life

Page 1 of 1

War of the Worlds Well, Wells, Welles.

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

Just to see if anyone's interested. Reviews are linked at the Matt Drudge website.

#2 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

This actually looks like a great movie. It looks really scary too.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#3 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:34 PM

It's Spielberg. I think "Minority Report" proved it for me that he's past his prime. Plus Tom Cruise gets on my nerves.

#4 User is offline   Icey Icon

• n00b
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Being infested by parasites. Fighting members of the Kennedy family, kidnapping the President's daughter. Moaning.<br />

Posted 29 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

And there is little or no connection to the book/musical/radioplay, propably, beyond the opening words.

Tom Cruise propably bombs the bejeezus out of the Martians in the end too.

Funny story: The working title was Indepenence Day 2: This Time It's Personal.

#5 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

Tom Cruise is the only thing that makes me not want to watch the movie. They should have casted another actor...
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#6 User is offline   Jane Sherwood Icon

• Hello Master
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Far too many to list in this tiny space...

Posted 29 June 2005 - 05:16 PM

Funny, that's what my mother's been saying about it. I don't really care, but she's excited about it because she used the War of the Worlds radio broadcast in her English class (she's a teacher). Her only problem is that she's pissed off with Tom Cruise because he's been such an ass-hole.
Check out my crappy drawings!

Chyld is an ignorant slut.

"I don't have to conform to the vagaries of time and space; I'm a loony, for God's sake!"
- Campbell Bean (David Tennant), Takin' Over the Asylum, 1994
XD

#7 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:24 PM

I was actually indifferent to Cruise until the other day. Hes in Japan promoting War of the Worlds (translated as Uchu Sensou- `War in Space’. Yeah, good job fellas), and he was walking down the red carpet to the (world) premiere in Tokyo. There was a show on TV which chose one high school student to interview Fanning, Speilberg and Cruise, and the kid who won was understandably nervous as hell (he coundnt speak English). But Cruise was really good to him, encouraging him to ask his own questions, and giving him a lot more time than he gave to the other stooges lined up to question him. He just came off as an all round good egg, not as a faceless publicity stunt.

#8 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 11:39 AM

yah but tom cruise looks good in this.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#9 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 30 June 2005 - 12:26 PM

QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jun 30 2005, 11:39 AM)
yah but tom cruise looks good in this.

OK, Tom Cruise has suceeded in making himself the focal point of the film. Now, the film itself? Cruise is Cruise, like him or not, but the movie itself is an amalgamation of everything wrong in the movie business today: stars instead of characters, lazy fat-cat directors, redundancy of script, plot and design, unoriginality...on and on.

Cruise is neither the good nor the bad element in this total piece of crap being served up by Spielberg.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:15 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jun 29 2005, 10:24 PM)
I was actually indifferent to Cruise until the other day. Hes in Japan promoting War of the Worlds (translated as Uchu Sensou- `War in Space’. Yeah, good job fellas), and he was walking down the red carpet to the (world) premiere in Tokyo. There was a show on TV which chose one high school student to interview Fanning, Speilberg and Cruise, and the kid who won was understandably nervous as hell (he coundnt speak English). But Cruise was really good to him, encouraging him to ask his own questions, and giving him a lot more time than he gave to the other stooges lined up to question him. He just came off as an all round good egg, not as a faceless publicity stunt.

are you still in japan?

#11 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 4 2005, 01:15 AM)
are you still in japan?

I cant explain it. I bought a ticket back to England, boarded the plane and fell asleep. but when I woke up...I found myself back in Japan again...

#12 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 08:39 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ Jun 29 2005, 10:24 PM)

I used to like Cruise alot until recently, I think the cruise that berated Matt Laurer and came off as a narcassistic, condescending ass is closer to the real man than the one that was overly nice on camera to a kid who did not speak english.

I have a friend here in NYC that worked as an extra on War of the Worlds, and he said Cruise was surrounded by 20 handlers non-stop and no one was allowed to speak to him. This man has been a white hot, ridiculously rich celebrity for the better part of 20 years now. Reality has long left this man's consciousness.

#13 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

I don't know what to think. But if you ask me, I would rather listen to the radiocast from the thirties. I heard it once, and liked it. And no, I did not hear it in the thirties.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#14 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 04 July 2005 - 04:40 PM

QUOTE (Private Zod @ Jul 4 2005, 08:39 AM)
I used to like Cruise alot until recently, I think the cruise that berated Matt Laurer and came off as a narcassistic, condescending ass is closer to the real man than the one that was overly nice on camera to a kid who did not speak english.

I can't feel sorry for Lauer. It's great to see a talking head posing as a journalist get taken to task by an actor who is not playing his role. Lauer, and all these tv buffoons who just spew the lines force fed them, need to be held responsible for their misinforming of the masses.
I loved it, in fact, I like Cruise more for it.

The next Today show sweeps program: "Where in the world are Matt Lauer's facts"

winning guess: in the cue card guy's hands!

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size