Chefelf.com Night Life: Contradiction in the Jedi Organization? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Contradiction in the Jedi Organization?

#16 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:30 PM

so apparently most of you havent even seen episode II, cause anakin plainly states that jedi are ENCOURAGED TO LOVE. love is not against the jedi code, not at all. the code is never fully put forth in the film, only tid bits. it is never said that marriage is forbidden, or child-baring. it seems to me that what is unacceptable to the order about anakin's marriage is that he places esteem on padme HIGHER than the code, himself, and the whole galaxy. marriage is about choosing one person to be the most important person in your life; if the jedi are to hold all life sacred and equal, then how can they choose? thats what obi-wan is talking about while pursuing dooku, that anakin would choose the one over the many. in denying wedlock, jedi are not like catholic priests, but like buddhist monks.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#17 User is offline   Darth Borba Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 03:53 PM

I don't even know what EU stands for, maybe I'm not up on the message board lingo enough, but really... These new movies have too many people doing extensive research just trying to put together plot holes.
I mean sure, we can figure some things out on our own, but some of this stuff is riduclous. It's just stretching things way too far if you ask me.
And come on, there were three whole movies to explain this stuff. And too many things just don't get together with the originals. He had 18 years to get this right and he blew it like nobody's business. We waited 18 years for THIS?

I don't know if I would have liked any new star wars movies, but I didn't even like the Phantom Menace the first time I saw it when I was 14, I knew better then, and I know better now.

Yes, Lucas is a moron for ruining something as great as Star Wars. He even ruined the DVD versions of the classics.

The original question of this thread isn't a very relevant one, if you ask me, but it is annoying when hardly anything makes sense and you have to talk to people that have watched cartoons, read lots of novels and even wrote their own scripts just to get a very far-fetched explanation defending a very mediocre movie with cool light sabres and stupid names and costumes.

Yes, new Star Wars pisses me off that much.
My girlfriend has a Darth Maul lego keychain that will surely burn on the 4th.

#18 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (xenduck @ Jun 30 2005, 09:30 PM)
so apparently most of you havent even seen episode II, cause anakin plainly states that jedi are ENCOURAGED TO LOVE.

Anakin said this in ep. II

Yoda on the other hand, in ep. III unsure.gif .....
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#19 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:56 AM

...says nothing contradictory.

#20 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 02:08 PM

I thought Anakin's "you might say that Jedi are encouraged to love" was his misinterpretation of the principle of compassion, illustrating how he tends to twist things in ways that will benefit himself.

Padme says, "I thought love was forbidden to a Jedi." Is she right?

I think the problem here is that we all are confusing love, sexuality, and attachment, which do not always have to exist together. It's possible to have sex without love and attachment; it's possible to love without sex and attachment...

...is it possible to have sex with love but without attachment? It's pretty hard. Could this be at the root of the rule not to marry? (I think marriage is plainly forbidden. "If the Council finds out that we're married....")

I understand "attachment" in the sense of clinging, desiring permanence in something that is temporary. You can love someone and not be attached -- meaning that you cherish the person while she is here but then accept it when she is gone. It's an attitude. "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be all in the name of the Lord." (I'm quoting a Judeo-Christian source simply to illustrate how common this spiritual mindset is)

Someone else pointed out that in the Expanded Universe products (EU), it is mentioned that Jedi were not always celibate but eventually became that way. The reason seems clear to me -- it is hard to stave off attachment when love and sex are both concentrated on one person. Marriage is forbidden.

Incidentally, I think movies that enable us to you have discussions like this are actually fun.

#21 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:31 PM

QUOTE (DarthTherion @ Jul 1 2005, 02:08 PM)
Incidentally, I think movies that enable us to you have discussions like this are actually fun.

i agree more completely with that sentiment (and the entire post).
marriage isnt a bad thing, but can very easily lead to bad things (bad in general, but especially for a jedi). the jedi are pragmatists, the simple answer is to ban marriage out-right. however, it remains an open question whether anakin or padme was most accurate about the acctual code.

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:03 PM

QUOTE (DarthTherion @ Jul 1 2005, 02:08 PM)
Padme says, "I thought love was forbidden to a Jedi." Is she right?

when did she become an expert?

#23 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 07:58 PM

The Star Wars prequels have more contradictions than you can shake a lightsaber at.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#24 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:01 PM

Let's see. 1, 2, 3, Ow! I lopped off my own hand!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size