Chefelf.com Night Life: The Palpy-Windu-Ani scene was silly. - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

The Palpy-Windu-Ani scene was silly.

#16 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:28 PM

QUOTE (showmethemoney @ Jun 27 2005, 04:41 PM)
I agree, another great mixture of scifi-buddism-and western (the duels)
Dragon ball Z it's great! thumbsup.gif

I actually *cough cough* confess I was a friggin' fanatic of DB and DBZ... By the time DBGT was on, my patience had run out... rolleyes.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#17 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:48 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Jun 27 2005, 08:14 AM)
And David Prowse played a body guard for a rich guy.

Ian McDiarmind played a butler!

Liam Neeson played a war profiteering womanizer who saved some Jews during WW2!

David prowse played a body guard to two rich guys...
clockwork orange, and in the BBCs 'hitch hickers guide to the galaxy' as 'hot black's' (rock star lead singer of 'disaster area' who was spending the year dead for tax reasons) body guard...

Ian McDairmid was the butler of a conman in 'dirty rotten scoundrels' and part of a conspiracy in sleepy hollow... deception seems to be his game.

Liam Neeson and slave liberation... no stretch there...
but he's played characters all across the board, but he's usually some kind of hero...

#18 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 27 2005, 06:48 PM)
David prowse played a body guard to two rich guys...
clockwork orange, and in the BBCs 'hitch hickers guide to the galaxy' as 'hot black's' (rock star lead singer of 'disaster area' who was spending the year dead for tax reasons) body guard...

Ian McDairmid was the butler of a conman in 'dirty rotten scoundrels' and part of a conspiracy in sleepy hollow... deception seems to be his game.
Liam Neeson and slave liberation... no stretch there...
but he's played characters all across the board, but he's usually some kind of hero...

Christopher Lee - Dracula

Okay, so he can play a count! But he's played hundreds of other characters, and not just those two and Sarumon in LOTR. He's going to play King Hagard in the live-action version of "The Last Unicorn" as well.

My point was that few of these people are type-cast (though Star Wars may have ruined Carrie Fisher and Mark Hamil). Hayden played a punk kid in "Life as a House."

Saying Mace Windu is a "bad mother f***er" is completely unjustified until AOTC. Even then it's questionable. He just kills one bounty hunter with no force powers and says "this party's over" and "I don't think so." He's not Jules from Pulp Fiction, he's not Shaft. He's a Jedi! Yet everyone EXPECTED him to be a badass Negotiator type just because of his past roles.

Did these folks see him in "Unbreakable"? Or Die Hard III? Maybe Jurassic Park? Or anything else he's been besides these 2 (or 3) movies and the PT?

Nope, it'd be like everytime you see Sean Connery in a movie going "Heh.. look it's James Bond, I wonder if he'll order a martini shaken not stirred?" Funny once sure, but not a logical assumption.

This post has been edited by KurganX: 28 June 2005 - 10:57 AM

#19 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 28 June 2005 - 12:38 PM

QUOTE (Hari Seldon @ Jun 27 2005, 02:28 PM)
I actually *cough cough* confess I was a friggin' fanatic of DB and DBZ... By the time DBGT was on, my patience had run out...  rolleyes.gif

I still love Dragonball for it's humor. And yeah, Palpatine really put me in mind of Gollum after his face melted. I kept wanting to say, "My preciousss" or "Ribbit" since he sorta talked like a frog, too.

EDIT for my sounding like an idiot.

This post has been edited by rock_dash: 28 June 2005 - 12:40 PM

I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#20 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Hari Seldon @ Jun 27 2005, 07:28 PM)
I actually *cough cough* confess I was a friggin' fanatic of DB and DBZ... By the time DBGT was on, my patience had run out...  rolleyes.gif

sleeping.gif Everybody's patience run out by the times of GT.

#21 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (showmethemoney @ Jun 28 2005, 06:38 PM)
sleeping.gif Everybody's patience run out by the times of GT.

Those final fights from DBZ were just too damn long! Geez.
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#22 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (KurganX @ Jun 28 2005, 10:56 AM)
Okay, so he can play a count! But he's played hundreds of other characters, and not just those two and Sarumon in LOTR. He's going to play King Hagard in the live-action version of "The Last Unicorn" as well.

he was king hagard in the first version...
and i heard about this years ago...

when the hell is it comming out?!?

-----------------------

but going back to your point... i think what your saying is true to an extent, but i also think SLJ suffers from 'jack nicholson' syndrome...

as many different types of characters he plays people can't get past the insulting, confident, womanizer smart ass mould.

#23 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:39 AM

All the time Mace is on screen, I can't get past the fact that I'm watching Sam Jackson. I don't know why this is, I don't get it with Ewan McGregor or Harrison Ford, who are similarly high profile actors.

The fact that we know certain aspects of the films were written in at the request of the SLJ just makes it all the more difficult to suspend disbelief.

#24 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 01:52 AM

There is not Mace Windu.
It's Samuel L. Jackson!
There is not character there, nothing.
Just an actor telling nonsense and nodding to yoda.

Lucas know that, he uses Lee for Count Dooku bicouse he is allready a Count (Dracula) And biocuse he need a cool jedi he ask for Jackson.
But Count Dooku is dracula and Jackson is the cool guy. Just new names.
And it works pretty well. the problem is when Lucas tray to actually write and develop a character.

#25 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:03 AM

I saw some of Jurassic Park the other night. SLJ wasn't in That movie; it was some character played by him.

#26 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jun 30 2005, 04:03 AM)
I saw some of Jurassic Park the other night. SLJ wasn't in That movie; it was some character played by him.

Before Pulp Fiction and Shaft (ugh), of course. Spielberg couldn't use him otherway as a secondary actor.
And in spielberg there ARE characters, even brief ones ARE.

I thik when an actor is too much identified in a role, it tooks at least one good (and succesfull, i think) movie with the new kind of role to change that.
But directors know this and sometimes it used wisely.

#27 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 03 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

QUOTE (showmethemoney @ Jun 30 2005, 01:52 AM)
Lucas know that, he uses Lee for Count Dooku bicouse he is allready a Count (Dracula) And biocuse he need a cool jedi he ask for Jackson.
But Count Dooku is dracula and Jackson is the cool guy. Just new names.
And it works pretty well. the problem is when Lucas tray to actually write and develop a character.

Jackson, begged to be in TPM when he heard it was being made.

#28 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:48 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 4 2005, 12:58 AM)
Jackson, begged to be in TPM when he heard it was being made.

Another reppentant actor! unsure.gif

#29 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:14 AM

QUOTE (Lord Melkor @ Jun 24 2005, 07:39 PM)
It was great at the beginning ( I liked how Ian delivered "are you threatening me"  and "I am the Senate' lines) but when Ian started to make those ridicolous facial exp​ressions, and than he acted like Golllum and transformed, I felt slightly embarassed for expecting so much of this movie. The way he and Mace were shouting at each other actually reminded me of children arguing "He is the traitor! No he is!" Who else felt like this, especially not total bashers?

This scene was lost for me when Mace went to arrest Palpatine. It verified to me what an idiot Lucas was for mixing up politics and the Sith in the figure of Palpatine. Is it me or isn't their something absolutely ludicrous about even wanting to arrest someone whom your Order has considered for over a 1,000 years to be the embodiment of evil? Haven't the Jedi taken some sort of oath that they will get rid of the Sith by any means possible and then here Mace is wanting to arrest the guy?! Doesn't this make the so called cool and evil Sith Master, I don't know, that much less cool and evil?

#30 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 05 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

Agreed. Kind of like taking Lucifer to court for tax evasion.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size