• +

In Defense of the Ewoks I feel for the little guys

#31 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (Hari Seldon @ Jul 6 2005, 10:18 PM)
Just to test that, this night I'm sending my 3 best Ewoks to your room.
And with some rocks, too.  devil.gif

Right then! Let battle commence!

#32 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:28 AM

The movie is suppose to be serious. As soon as I saw the Ewoks appear with sticks and stones from out of the shrubs, I knew two things

1) The battle was going to be softcore at best

2) Strom troopers armor was about to move down to an even lower notch on the defensive scale.

So much bad came from the Ewok fight scene. Tarzan yell, emascualtion of the empoerers "FINEST LEGION", annoyoing Ewok chirps, and recently civillian pointed out, they're just a cheap copy of the black tribal people portrayed in early jungle movies.

At least Warwick Davis got a lick out of it.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#33 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 July 2005 - 01:06 PM

People go on about the numbers of Ewoks versues Storm Troopers in ROTJ but what I want to know is WHY were there so few Storm Troopers taking part in the final battle scene. In ATOC, there are more Clones getting into those ships at the end of the film than EVERYONE who took part in the final battle in ROTJ, this includes Ewoks, Storm Troopers, humans etc. Did they send in the clowns in ROTJ instead of the clones?

Also, one of my favourite lines in ROTJ, is when The Emperor tells Luke "an entire legion of my best troops awaits them" meaning his friends. The storm troopers, the ones who can't hit anything from 20 paces away are his best troopers! And who beats them? The cudlly bunny, wunnys! Classic.

#34 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 02:29 PM

And who beats them? The cudlly bunny, wunnys!

That just goes to show you how bad ass Ewoks are tongue.gif

#35 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 04:36 PM

I just thought I would mention again that the Ewoks don't win that battle unless Chewbacca takes control of the AT-ST walker.

And what is the problem with the Tarzan yell? I just don't get it. If it reminds you too much of something from Earth, then maybe Star Wars shouldn't have been done in English.

This post has been edited by Storm: 08 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

#36 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 08 July 2005 - 07:40 PM

Exactly. "My best troops await thee. By that of cousre I mean a whole hoard of guys who can't shoot straight, have inner ear problems leading to poor balance and covered in armour unable to protect from gravel. Those troops. Be afraid be very afraid."

"What!! The Care Bears are coming!!!!! Here comes huggie! Run mother fuckers run!!!!"

#37 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 08 July 2005 - 08:04 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jul 7 2005, 06:28 AM)
The movie is suppose to be serious.  As soon as I saw the Ewoks appear with sticks and stones from out of the shrubs, I knew two things

1) The battle was going to be softcore at best

2) Strom troopers armor was about to move down to an even lower notch on the defensive scale.

So much bad came from the Ewok fight scene.  Tarzan yell, emascualtion of the empoerers "FINEST LEGION", annoyoing Ewok chirps, and recently civillian pointed out, they're just a cheap copy of the black tribal people portrayed in early jungle movies.

At least Warwick Davis got a lick out of it.

OK, has anyone here viewed the old film "Zulu" . Well basically these British colonial forces are stampeded by Zulu warriors with traditional weapons in the epic battle scene. I think Lucas was influenced by this. The Ewoks with their sheer numbers, knowlege of the terrain, traditional silent weapons (no noisy and cover revealing blasters) and indecipherable language had the obvious upper hand. Personally, I loved the Ewoks, a proud and noble savage, that looks just as handsome as a stuffed wall mount preferably behind glass with pheasant in a scenic motif.

#38 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 02:55 PM

I agree, the ewoks are indeed comparable to the Zulu Warriors. If it were for the fact I believe George secretly posts on these threads I would suggest a Zula v Ewok trilogy, or was that an Easter special back in the 80's starring Mr T and Randy Savage
"I pity the fool uh chut"
"I see something over there, ohhhhhhhhhhhh yeah!!!"

#39 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jul 8 2005, 01:36 PM)
I just thought I would mention again that the Ewoks don't win that battle unless Chewbacca takes control of the AT-ST walker.

And what is the problem with the Tarzan yell?  I just don't get it.  If it reminds you too much of something from Earth, then maybe Star Wars shouldn't have been done in English.

I agree with you 100%
I never had a problem with the tarzan yell

#40 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 July 2005 - 03:36 PM

Although with that yell he kind of gave the game away, making it more difficult to sneak up (figuratively of course, that ATAT is kinda big) on any more stormtroopers, he may as well have sprayed PROPERTY OF REBEL ALLIANCE on the side and given the fucker new rims

#41 User is offline   Ham Salad Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:Racing my ship, the Millenium Falcon in the annual Kessel Run. Rescuing princesses and Jedi from the clutches of the empire. Not paying my gambling debts to Jaba. <br /><br />Shooting FIRST, and asking questions later!<br />

Posted 09 July 2005 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Giff @ Jul 9 2005, 03:29 PM)
I agree with you 100%
I never had a problem with the tarzan yell

Please, Chewie is a half a wrung up the evolutionary ladder. He gets too much credit. The Ewoks would have thought of something else. They would have had a team huddle and gotten that witchdoctor ewok and Wickett to do...something. They weren't helpless, for chrissakes they had fire, stone tools and loin clothes to cover their unfurry bits.

#42 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 10 July 2005 - 02:04 PM

look at it this way, if someone told you a bunch of marines were beat-up by a bunch of teddy bears, you would either: assume there is more to those teddy bears than there seems. or, call that person a 'F'n liar, and assume the story is bogus.

both are perfectly logical conclusions, however, one assumption allows you to enjoy the story, the other does not.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#43 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:43 AM

And if you were letdown by any golden turd Lucas hands you, it is your duty to tell everyone that it smelled better than you had hoped.

#44 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:00 PM

im just saying there are (at least) two equally acceptable ways of looking at this situation.

i see the gold, while all you see is the turd.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#45 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 01:42 PM

Cool. Bask in its glow.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size