Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

In Defense of the Ewoks I feel for the little guys

#16 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:02 PM

Vader: The Force is with you young Wicket, but you are not a Jedi yet.
Wicket: E chu ta!
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#17 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:35 PM

ROTJ has its strengths and weaknesses, and one of them is that it borrowed a number of mid-1980s trends. This is most obviously seen with the Vader Shuttle which was inspired/cashed in on the transformable robot toy trend that hit big at that time. I know the X-Wing does something similar, but its not as brazen, or noticed as with the shuttle.

Another trend was cashing in on the Care Bears, a popular multi-colored teddy Bear line. Monchichis were a similar furry toy line, and Lucas should have spared the "little people" the agony of the hot suits and dressed them up like Hummel figurines with rosy cheeks going into combat against the Empire. That, and the Emperor's used car salesman's non-descript pitch for the Dark Side sunk the picture on one level, although ROTJ makes me recall a happy time in my life whenever I see it, when my dad and I would go to the movies together. Whenever I glance at the PT, I generate nothing but contemptable feelings towards them.

I'll probably buy more special packagings of the OT and see ROTJ gladly when its mastered in 3D form, as Lucas plans to do, but I won't see the PT, even if its a better done series.

#18 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:00 AM

to me, the ewoks had the ability to defeat the stormtroopers on their own, although that outcome was unlikely. however, since the adiaunce must necessarily believe in the force, then it is no problem to say the ewoks were the benefactors of devine intervention.

but i suggest the idea with a certain degree of humor.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#19 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 12:16 PM

1. It wouldn't have made any sense if the second Death Star was being constructed around Kashyyk. Kashyyk was a well known planet, thus the Rebels would have found out about the construction of the second Death Star a lot sooner. The objective of the Empire was to construct the Death Star in a discrete location.

2. It is unlikely the Empire would choose a planet full of Wookies (who to me seem like a warrior type race) to place a shield generator. Obviously the Empire could expect some type of resistance. I was given the impression in ROTJ that the Empire didn't know Endor was inhabited.

3. Kashyyk was included in ROTS, and from what I've read so far most people didn't like that. Why would it be more acceptable to have Kashyyk in ROTJ than in ROTS?

4. The Ewoks didn't really defeat the Storm Troopers. The battle was heavily in the Empire's favour until Chewbacca took control of the AT-ST walker.

This post has been edited by Storm: 01 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

#20 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 03 July 2005 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jul 1 2005, 01:16 PM)
3.  Kashyyk was included in ROTS, and from what I've read so far most people didn't like that.  Why would it be more acceptable to have Kashyyk in ROTJ than in ROTS?

People didn't liked it because Kashyyyk in ROTS was completely useles and didn't add anything to the plot. In ROTJ, Kashyyyk would be more useful. And Kashyyyk it only appeared for some miserable TWO minutes when people were expecting it to be the greatest SW land battle EVER.

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 03 July 2005 - 09:05 PM

#21 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 04 July 2005 - 03:30 AM

"the ewoks had boobie traps already set up."

An excellent reason for why the Ewok fight sequences suck so badly. When did the Ewoks find the time to set up these elaborate booby traps? Why do the Imperial walkers, with impeccable timing and direction, walk right into them?

Remember this also. We were treated to many shots of stormtroopers yelling and collapsing under no worse than the the blows of (probably fake) stones. Three squads of stormtroopers give up without firing a shot just because Han Solo (all by himself) is aiming a blaster at them and a few dozen fuzzies - er, Ewoks - are up above waving their un-aerodynamic and blunt spears in the air. There's not a scrap of credibility in the whole battle.

#22 User is offline   Storm Shadow Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

You couldnt have Kashyyk in in ROTJ anyways, in ROTS Mace says "Kashyyk is a system we cant afford to lose", and he's right. Because when the Empire is formed, they enslaved the entire planet and made use of the Wookies technical abilities by forcing them to help build the Death Star. So in essence, ROTS did serve a purpose, although alot of people wouldnt know it if they arent up on EU lore too much so I wouldnt blame them for dismissing the inclusion of Kashyyk as a useless plot device.

#23 User is offline   Harvey Globetrotter Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Apathy.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

QUOTE (Darth Player @ Jun 30 2005, 01:35 PM)
ROTJ has its strengths and weaknesses, and one of them is that it borrowed a number of mid-1980s trends. This is most obviously seen with the Vader Shuttle which was inspired/cashed in on the transformable robot toy trend that hit big at that time. I know the X-Wing does something similar, but its not as brazen, or noticed as with the shuttle.

Hey, I love Imperial Shuttles. In fact, I think they're the most aesthetically pleasing of all ships in Star Wars. I don't think that the movable wings were any attempt to cash in on anything. If they were I think we would have seen more of them, and they would have done more interesting things than they did.

#24 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:14 AM

The Alexander the Great battle was the battle of Guagamela and he won mainly due to superior tactical foresight and the fact that King Darius pussy footed it out of there as soon as every battle looked dicey...

Now if the ewoks had set up such tactical advantages, rather than log crushers or log AT At tripper uppers (when indeed did they set them up, that makes no sense) then the battle could have been a rather nice lesson in passion over technology (like when the Joker in the original Batman movie shoots down the Batplane with a pistol). Instead we get teddy bears - frikken teddy bears - defeating armoured guys twice their size (cloned superwarriors remember) with rocks. I personally as a NZer am disgusted that Jake Heke could be beaten by teddies with large stones.

After Jar Jar (offensive on so many levels, emotional, logical - Senator Jar Jar anyone? - racial) the ewoks are the most annoying creatures in the Star Wars universe.

That said I did own an Ewok toy once and it kicked arse, although when we recreated the Battle for Endor we used to put little tomatosauce and toliet paper bandages on them, even at 6 we knew the true cost of war.

A final sidenote, I always felt sad for that one Ewok who dies, but one day my dad said "Trust me, he's not the only one to kark it, there would have been heaps, that's just the only one you see." That seemed to fix things for me, weird and harsh but true ...

#25 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:48 AM

QUOTE (Patrick Bateman @ Jul 6 2005, 09:14 AM)
After Jar Jar (offensive on so many levels, emotional, logical - Senator Jar Jar anyone? - racial) the ewoks are the most annoying creatures in the Star Wars universe.

I'd actually consider putting the ewoks ahead of Jar-Jar in the annoyance stakes for the following reasons;
1- There's hundreds of the little feckers. (The rest of the Gungans, while faintly ridiculous, don't bug me half as much for some reason).
2- They got their own series.
3- Jar-Jar's movies are already annoying in themselves. ROTJ has the making of a much better film. I can live with the inconsistencies and the easy cop-out plot devices, but the ewoks just eat at my very soul.

#26 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 01:51 PM

...But I love 'em.

#27 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:38 PM

Dr. Doom rocks! thumbsup.gif

I bet Doom's suit has more protection than a stormtrooper suit.

#28 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 06 July 2005 - 03:46 PM

To be fair my union jack boxer shorts offer more protection than the stormtrooper suits.

#29 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Jul 6 2005, 08:46 PM)
To be fair my union jack boxer shorts offer more protection than the stormtrooper suits.

Just to test that, this night I'm sending my 3 best Ewoks to your room.
And with some rocks, too. devil.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#30 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 06:58 PM

At least we had the drumbeat scene, with a sense of pending doom (with a chirpy widdle soundtwack) where Han and the boys, shudder, may have taken the ewoks too lightly.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size