• Last »

Favorite boss

#1 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:34 PM

I don't know about you, but I think the best boss from any game I've played is Bitores Mendez from RE4.
When you fight him his upper body splits from his lower body and his spine bloats and stretches out to form this:

I tried to find a better picture of him, but I couldn't.

Anyway, after you waste him, he splits in half, and surprise! He keeps going with only his upper body, jumping through the rafters of the burning barn and swinging like an ape.

Runner up for me also comes from RE4; the U3 monster.

He basically looks like a big slug with scythe-arms that's fucking scary and invincible.

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 23 June 2005 - 10:38 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#2 User is offline   HMC Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 23 June 2005 - 10:53 PM

#3 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 25 June 2005 - 05:38 AM

I have to give points to Irenicus from Baldurs Gate 2, but don't have time to explain why. I'll get to it later.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#4 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2005 - 06:59 AM

I've always like the "Metal Slug" series big bosses, with all those changes after you shot them long enough... although right now I can't pinpoint any specific one.

I also liked one in "R-Type"... I think it was a huge spaceship with lots of big, medium and smaller cannons. You had to go around it, shooting the cannons and the reactors and stuff.

rolleyes.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#5 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 25 June 2005 - 11:06 PM

Bowser is the most classic boss.

But the best boss for a videogame is The Great Mighty Poo from Conker Bad Fur Day. That boss was hilarious!
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 26 June 2005 - 04:04 AM

Mighty Poo was an excellently made boss, but pretty much that entire game was gold.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:41 PM

Yeah. I loved Conker Bad Fur Day. I'm going to buy the Xbox version to play Xbox Live.

And I forgot the best boss ever: Sephiroth from Final Fantasy VII.
(Mighty Poo gets the award for the Most Creative Boss though.)

#8 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 26 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

*Sigh* We've done this before. Bowser lost out due to incapability to pull off the 'kidnap princess, lure fat plumber, kill fat plumber' plan multiple times. And sephiroth has about as much personality as a moody goth and is about as interesting to fight as one (only the goth is a hell of a lot less tedious).

In terms of good writing, I'd still say Servok (BG) tans Irenicus' pansy ass any day.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#9 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:45 PM

We're not having a WWF match between the bosses, if that's what you're thinking. I just wanted to see what everyone's favorite boss was.

Post a link to the thread you're talking about?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#10 User is offline   mrtimp Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

I will say sephiroth, lets hope no one gives me crap about it as its just my opinion.

#11 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:14 PM

Now 2 votes for Sephiroth! He rules!

#12 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:01 AM

Sephiroth? With his summon spell, that lasted a full 3 minutes and did a WHOPPING 2000 damage. No.

Props must then go to the goldfish off of Earthworm Jim 2. (first level boss)
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#13 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:43 AM

The other thread was based more on a villians personality, whereas this one is more just cool appearance, as far as I can tell.

I'll set the scene for my Irenicus battle(the one in hell). Irenicus stands in the middle, surrounded by four powerful devils. He then takes the form of the slayer, granting him powerful physical strength(on top of his already overpowered magic)and an incredibly high regeneration. So, as the fight goes on, I start taking down his minions, but he kills a couple of my troops and mazes Haer Dalis, and casts hold person on my main character. I think I had Keldorn and somebody else tanking. They were doing a lot of damage, but quite soon the second person dropped. I was holding my breath, Irenicus was nearly dead, but Keldorn was also just holding in. If Keldorn died, Irenicus would regenerate his healt and finish off my incapacitated characters. Everything was hanging on Keldorn killing Irenicus. On the verge of death, Irenicus lashes out and kills Keldorn. I yell out an obscenity at the top of my voice. Then, with all hope lost, Haer Dalis escapes from the maze. He appears directly behind Irenicus, looks around disorientaed, then just casually stabs him in the back. Irenicus drops dead and I won the game. Hence, to my mind, that is the greatest boss battle of all time.

Coming in close second and third(in no particular order though)would be the time that I finished Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door just a breath from death, and the time I finished Half Life with zero armour and one health. I nearly missed the ending sequence as I thought I'd died.

#14 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:50 AM

Kirbs: Haha, yeah, he was a great boss to fight. I wish I'd thought of that one.

Sephroth: It takes more than killing a main character and having a big sword to make a favorite boss in my opinion.

My favorite boss of all time...? I need to think for a moment. The Mighty Poo does get props, especially for his song, and the ending to that game brings tears of joy to my eyes. Nothing like mixing Super Mario 64 and Aliens with a little broken fourth wall. Maybe I'll think of something later...

Edit: Close calls? I beat FFVI with under 100 health and only Cyan left. Thankfully I had given him dragoon boots, so he managed to dodge the instant kill and "drop you down to 1 hp" spells right before the "do 5 zillion damage to all party members" spell, and then after it missed him, came down and took Kefka out.

This post has been edited by Slade: 27 June 2005 - 02:52 AM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#15 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:00 AM

I recently changed my mind (again) for the best boss ever....

THE NINJA from Metal Gear Solid! ph34r.gif
He kicks ass!

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 27 June 2005 - 03:01 AM

• (5 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size