• +
  • « First
  • Last »

God Any christians on the forums?

#1096 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 04:18 PM

QUOTE (Slade @ Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And in retrospect, pointing out flaws in making scientific inquiry into a spiritual belief system doesn't count as a personal attack, which has already been said, but I missed reading some of the posts where said accusations were going on.

Which is why I didn’t get upset at the questions, but the derogatory term used to describe my ancestral beliefs. Again, I’m over it. By all means, inquire away.

QUOTE (Otal Nimrodi @ Mar 14 2006, 03:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Muh... This MAY just be a fever of 104 (that's farhenheit, not celsius)

Feel better Otal. Feed a fever, feed a cold, feed avian flu, feed botulism.

#1097 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• Viva Phillippena Radio!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Body Disposal.

Posted 14 March 2006 - 10:45 PM

I would like to make the statement:

I support Shiites whole-heartedly... I appose sunni's completly...

Hense I am against HAMMAS and all its forms.

#1098 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

If Sailor Abbey is offended, I apologise.
But it was never my intention to call anyone names.

#1099 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 03:27 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 14 2006, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I would like to think that a civilized person should have something resembling respect for other people/culture’s spiritual beliefs enough to not be so blatantly insensitive. Its just polite.

I agree. However I still would like to say that the Oscar-winning pimp song from HUSTLE AND FLOW is shit; it's not even good rap, and it vaguely glamorises a terrible terrible profession. Just SAYING that, for some reason, I open myself up to declarations of racism, even though I never said that pimping was exclusively a black man's profession. I use this analogy to point out that when people choose to be offended, and yes, it's a CHOICE, they often supply their own ammunition. Getting back to the point though, it's a shit song, really. It's just fucking terrible. Pretty much evefyone in North America ought to see the Hughes Brothers' documentary AMERICAN PIMP. If I were the Minister of Education, I'd be showing it in grade school. It's about time we stopped glamorising pimps. We're being inundated with this faux-urban slang, and it's soooooooo annoying. It's getting so looking good and dressing nice is "pimp," like it's an adjective for "attractive" or "stylish." Fucking enough already, please.

As for human sacrifice, Julius Caesar wrote about them in De Bello Gallico. However, what he was describing sounds to me more like a form of execution: murderers were sacrificed to the Gods. He may have had limited exposure, and possibly I haven't read enough, but I am just applying a skeptic's reading to what I have seen. Strabo, in his Geography, wrote more generally of sacrifice, for prophecy and fertility, and he mentioned nothing that I could see of punishment. Strabo's writing however references use of weapons that the Celts didn't use, so like Tacitus, we may be dealing with an author not writing from personal experience. Julius Caesar however was there. Both wrote of the Wicker Man, with the animal and human burning. Physical evidence of the burnt sacrifices, naturally, will never turn up, but the culture and history of the Wicker Man has endured among the celtic poeple, so I doubt these Romans made it up. Men have turned up in bogs whose bodies show evidence of what may have been ritual violence. Whether it was sacrifice to Gods or mundane torture who knows. The Danes in their own writings did speak of human sacrifice, so they for one I believe. However naturally they were speaking of Danes and not Celts.

In my opinion this is all immaterial to whether the Celts had a line to the ancients and to the spirit world, but if someone wants to follow their religion and still apply modern morality to it, I can understand one wanting to deny sacrifice, or at least to say that sacrifices, if they occurred, were a part of the secular reality of a different time and place. In defence of Druidism, MC, I'd like to point out that classical Hebrews stoned women to death for adultery, but they don't do that now. They abandoned that aspect of their religion as secular morality changed and shaped them as a people. The same can be said of modern Druids, that essentially they do nothing much that their classical counterparts may have done, while retaining all of the beliefs they suspect their ancestors may well have had. The big leap however is when you take Medieval Studies, and reenactments, and following those make the leap to believing that there is a spirit world and make claims that you have contacted it.

Slade: You are right when you say that subjective beliefs can't be argued. I tried to point that out with the comments about musical taste and all that. But belief systems ought not to be subjective; people should believe in things for which there is objective proof. Like for instance I believe in Twinkies, and I think they are horrible and don't understand why people eat them. The first half of the previous sentence contained an objective statement, the second half a subjective one. I wouldn't want to build a belief system on subjective leanings, but only on objective learning. The subjective statements are what show my character, but I wouldn't try to use them to make claims about the world. "I like the Druids, and I read about them, and I like to dress up and play with Ouija boards" are all therefore statements that can be the subjects of conversation, or they can be ignored. "I have spoken with spirits" is on the order of saying there is intelligent life on Mars. I am going to want to know more. The claimant can't provide any more information, except as a medium, which frankly isn't enough. I need to see the Martians for myself. Failing that, I am free to say that the claim is false. I don't need to prove it wrong; it needs to be proven right.

Sailer: I am not asking you to prove it right. You have told us that in your personal experience you have encountered objective proof to back up your beliefs, but that this is proof that cannot be shared or displayed. This sort of thing is common to statements of religious revelation, like the testimonies of various Spanish girls who have seen the Virgin Mary. I call this "proof" then subjective; hardline skeptics will call it "delusion," while I simply say it is unconvincing. Even Slade calls your objective proof subjective, suggesting perhaps that it exists only in your own mind. He can speak for himself on that one; maybe that's not what he meant.

Regardless, they should take that Oscar back and give it to Dolly Parton, despite her own history of glamorising whorehouses. tongue.gif
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#1100 User is offline   Dr Lecter Icon

• Almighty God Of All Morals
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 10:00 AM

The day that no one questions my atheism is the day that I stop attacking all of these spritual and religious things. As far as I can see: if they don't try to make me believe in any of it, they can belief whatever the fuck they like. As long as no-one tried to tell me that some dude created the world, and expectly me to believe it, they could belief that the universe was created my gnomes for all I care. All I'm trying to do is point out to people that they shouldn't treat their beliefs as fact, because of the whole defination of what belief means. God damn I wish I didn't go to a 75%+ Catholic school. They let a muslim join so they wouldn't look so catholic anymore, but its just a front.

#1101 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 15 March 2006 - 11:24 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Mar 15 2006, 03:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As for human sacrifice, Julius Caesar wrote about them in De Bello Gallico. However, what he was describing sounds to me more like a form of execution: murderers were sacrificed to the Gods. He may have had limited exposure, and possibly I haven't read enough, but I am just applying a skeptic's reading to what I have seen. Strabo, in his Geography, wrote more generally of sacrifice, for prophecy and fertility, and he mentioned nothing that I could see of punishment. Strabo's writing however references use of weapons that the Celts didn't use, so like Tacitus, we may be dealing with an author not writing from personal experience. Julius Caesar however was there. Both wrote of the Wicker Man, with the animal and human burning. Physical evidence of the burnt sacrifices, naturally, will never turn up, but the culture and history of the Wicker Man has endured among the celtic poeple, so I doubt these Romans made it up.

Diodorus Siculus, as well as Sopater of Paphos, whose work is later referenced by Athenaeus of Naucratis, described a Celtic practice of sacrificing prisoners to the gods after a battle.

Strabo and Diodorus describe human sacrifice, saying it was never done without a Druid present. Since it is understood that Druids were thought to be the mediators between Gods and men, their presence may have been necessary to be sure the sacrifice was acceptable to the divine. In no way do these accounts suggest it was the Druids themselves who performed the sacrifice.

It is argued that Caesar’s accounts of ‘wicker men’ as a means of sacrificing criminals and prisoners of war by the Galatian Celts are so close to Strabo’s that they were probably quoting the same source - Poseidonios.

These sources come from Greek and Roman culture which is well known to have implemented human sacrifice, and we have to wonder why they found it so distasteful all of a sudden.

And even if the accounts are true, there is no evidence that the Irish Druids every practiced human sacrifice.

#1102 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 March 2006 - 04:55 PM

I'm not sure Caesar's writings showed distaste. Certainly if they did, it would have been for the differences in philosophies, the lack of awesome buildings and paved roads, etc. Going from Rome to Britannia would have been like travelling from New York to Kandahar. It would be hard for a guy with conquering on his mind not to want to conquer people who seemed so backward by comparison. Anyway I mentioned those citations only to say I don't know that we have any written history of human sacrifice. It may have happened, and maybe it was Druids who did it, but I don't know of any evidence for it.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#1103 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 15 March 2006 - 08:10 PM

QUOTE (Spoon Poetic @ Mar 11 2006, 01:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I agree with Slade - do NOT play with things you don't understand, and be prepared to have to deal with more than you bargain for. I learned the hard way.

Just remembered, sorry to bring this up again: Last of all, I forgot to ask, how did you learn the "hard way?" I mean to that event to what happened after you practiced it.

#1104 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 04:01 AM

While we are talking about Caesar...

Does "Et tu Brute" mean "You too Brutus" or "And you Brutus"

#1105 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:04 AM

It means "Brutus, you too?" laugh.gif

#1106 User is offline   Cobnat Icon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 05:48 AM

QUOTE (civilian_number_two @ Mar 16 2006, 02:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It means "Brutus, you too?" laugh.gif

OMG!!! 0.0 Thats what I told my friend but he said it was "You too Brutus" or "And you Brutus". Im a fucking geniuos... oh yeah... cool.gif riding the cool wave today.

#1107 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 07:49 AM

QUOTE (Deepsycher @ Mar 15 2006, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Just remembered, sorry to bring this up again: Last of all, I forgot to ask, how did you learn the "hard way?" I mean to that event to what happened after you practiced it.

I’m not sure anybody wants to field that one Dee, for fear of having to scientifically prove their experiences. If no body speaks up, I’ll brave the snake pit and take a shot at why somebody might have to learn the hard way.

#1108 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:17 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 16 2006, 07:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I’m not sure anybody wants to field that one Dee, for fear of having to scientifically prove their experiences. If no body speaks up, I’ll brave the snake pit and take a shot at why somebody might have to learn the hard way.

Actually I am listening to the experiences to collect, and later I will try to find proof. I think one explanation could be in the area of static energy.

#1109 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 March 2006 - 11:43 AM

You think static energy spells out letters?

Yeah I dont know about that.

#1110 User is offline   Deepsycher Icon

• Giantness of Heart

Posted 16 March 2006 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Mar 16 2006, 11:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You think static energy spells out letters?

Yeah I dont know about that.

One of my ideas is the static in the place, something for me to experiment on in the future when I gain the knowledge.

• (77 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size