Chefelf.com Night Life: Why Did We Need To Know Vader's Origins? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Why Did We Need To Know Vader's Origins? Anybody?

#1 User is offline   Sagacity Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:17 PM

I never wanted the Prequels to be made. Not ever. I didn't find out TPM was coming out until a few months before it did. I wasn't occupied with what had come before; I was perfectly content with the story we got in the OT. If there was anything I fleetingly wondered about, it was how Palpatine came to power, not Vader's origins. They weren't all that important to me. He was a powerful henchman who just happened to be the father of the hero, Luke Skywalker. To me, his story wouldn't have been as interesting as Luke's (and I was right), and the swing from good to evil would be too easy to mess up.

So I don't see the need to know.

#2 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:21 PM

Yes. Why do we need to know what we already know? We already knew that Anakin was a good guy that was tempted to the dark side by the emperor and he helped to kill the jedi. The prequels were unnesecary.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#3 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:55 PM

Well, I think if the prequels have shown us anything it is that we were better off not knowing. We were better off left with only our own speculation.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#4 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

The prequels needed to be made to give George something to do... otherwise he would have just sat around an accumulated double chins.

#5 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 23 June 2005 - 11:12 PM

no movies ever HAD to be made. thats kind of a silly question, i mean, someone wanted to make a movie, so they made it. if you dont like it, dont watch it. you'll save money that way.
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#6 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 25 June 2005 - 03:26 AM

QUOTE (xenduck @ Jun 23 2005, 09:12 PM)
no movies ever HAD to be made.

The prequels in particular, however, did not need to be made.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#7 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:55 PM

Vader's origins should have stayed a mystery. It was much better to make us ponder where he came from. Start him off as a young adult in the Clone Wars. All we should have seen was what Obi Wan told us in ANH. A great pilot and good friend.

As it is we see him as a child, living the easiest life of any slave I've ever seen, with a loving mom and the ability to be the only human (and a kid to boot!) to pilot a pod racer. Sorry, from that I dont see where he got all his anger and hatred from.

#8 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 June 2005 - 02:04 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Jun 25 2005, 05:55 PM)
As it is we see him as a child, living the easiest life of any slave I've ever seen, with a loving mom and the ability to be the only human (and a kid to boot!) to pilot a pod racer. Sorry, from that I dont see where he got all his anger and hatred from.

The sand, my fried... THE SAND! pinch.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#9 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 26 June 2005 - 02:29 AM

It was a silly move. I agree with what chef said. We're all better off being left in the dark. I would've rather seen a movie along the lines of KOTOR (ie not done by Lucas) or perhaps an episode 7. But the thing is we've been looking at the damn titles Episode IV V VI for so long now that Lucas felt compelled to finish the first three. Or sorry, not finish, start working on and finish.

I don't believe it for one second that he had the idea of Anakin and the twins from the beginning.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#10 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 29 June 2005 - 09:05 PM

Yeah. If he thought all the saga at once, then he would have started on Episode I not on Episode IV.

#11 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 30 June 2005 - 04:25 AM

It seems like they shouldn't have been made because they've turned out so badly.

However, I'm of the belief that the prequels were a good idea in principle. But, much like Anakin Skywalker, they were clumsily conceived.

#12 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2005 - 02:44 AM

WalkingCarpet, I know this is completely offf-topic, but I have to ask anyways. What is that on your avatar?

#13 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 05 July 2005 - 04:13 AM

Its one of the creatures from the tournament in the Clone Wars cartoon, where we meet Asajj Ventress.

According to the Databank he's "a dim-witted Shikitari insectoid - a rare species of subsentient aliens found on a lush jungle world of the same name in the Unknown Regions.

Shikitari are born in egg clusters suspended in a poisonous protective gel to ward away predators. As they hatch, the developing pupae fuse to one another, growing into a combined single lifeform. Individual Shikitari grow specialized body parts to become eyes, mouths, feelers, and so on. Shikitari pupae grow in a body style that mimics their guardian -- in the case of Shikitari that are raised by humanoids, they adopt that similar morphology."

And do you know what his name is..............Carl!!!

Something that ridiculous had to be immortalised in avatar form!

#14 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2005 - 03:19 PM

Still Carl is a better name than Elan Sleazebaggano.

CARL ROCKS!

#15 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 July 2005 - 06:46 PM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Jul 5 2005, 09:13 AM)
Its one of the creatures from the tournament in the Clone Wars cartoon, where we meet Asajj Ventress.

According to the Databank he's "a dim-witted Shikitari insectoid - a rare species of subsentient aliens found on a lush jungle world of the same name in the Unknown Regions.

Shikitari are born in egg clusters suspended in a poisonous protective gel to ward away predators. As they hatch, the developing pupae fuse to one another, growing into a combined single lifeform. Individual Shikitari grow specialized body parts to become eyes, mouths, feelers, and so on. Shikitari pupae grow in a body style that mimics their guardian -- in the case of Shikitari that are raised by humanoids, they adopt that similar morphology."
And do you know what his name is..............Carl!!!

Something that ridiculous had to be immortalised in avatar form!

Carl... now that's just precious. blink.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size