• +

Scams! Beware!

#1 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:29 AM

I just got an E-mail through this site that was some lady claiming to live in Africa that needed my help. If you get one of these, DON'T HELP THEM! They're total scam artists that live in Africa who want your money. I saw stories of it on the news. Apparently, they claim to have millions of dollars that need transfered to an American bank account. Don't listen! If they had that much, they can buy a plane ticket. Send them an E-mail back that says to sodomize themselves with a BFK! The entire message I recieved is in bold below.

floppydisk,

viviankk has sent you this email from ___________________________

MADAM VIVIAN KABILA

Tel:225 05-80-59-64

My DEAR,

It is my pleasure to contact you for a business venture which I and my Son Mack,intend to establish in your country.

Though I have not met with you before but I believe, one has to risk confiding in succeed sometimes in life.

There is this huge amount of Eigtheen million U.S dollars($18,000,000.00) which my late Husband kept for us with a Security Company in Abidjan before he was assasinated by unknown persons.Now I and my son decided to invest these money in your country or anywhere safe enough outside Africa for security and political reasons.We want you to help us claim and retrieve these fund from the Security company and transfer it into your personal
account in your country for investment purposes on these areas:

1). Telecommunication
2). the transport industry
3). Five star hotel

If you can be of an assistance to us we will be pleased to offer to you 10% Of the total fund. please try to reply me with this email (vivian_kabila5@yahoo.com)

I await your soonest response.

Respectfully yours,
Mrs. Vivian Kabila.

---------------------------------------------------
Please note that Chefelf.com Night Life has no control over the
contents of this message.
---------------------------------------------------

Regards,

The Chefelf.com Night Life team.
http://www.chefelf.c...orums/index.php

--
No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
Version: 7.0.322 / Virus Database: 266.11.17 - Release Date: 5/25/2005

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#2 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:31 AM

Nowhere is safe, it seems. This old chestnut has been around for years, and its not every day you see someone getting banned...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#3 User is offline   blader_dude0 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Post icon  Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

lol try it out, but put it in a totaly new bank acount then take the 16.2 mill and leave them with the 10% devil.gif . i would laugh if someone did this laugh.gif

#4 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:52 AM

The offending member has had their account suspended. If anyone else gets such emails or PMs (or sees anyone use the board for such things) then notify myself or Carlos 9 and we'll take care of it. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#5 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 27 May 2005 - 11:57 AM

Thanks, Cheffers.

Did you not hear, young grasshopper? They have no money. It's a scam. They tell you you need money up front to help (or some shit like that. Any wanker dumb enough to fall for that one should get shot), get you over to Africa, then take all your moneys, then probably rape you and kill you. The news story I saw was an interview with someone lucky enough to escape back to his home country. Plus, Nigeria is the world leader in scamming.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 27 2005, 11:52 AM)
The offending member has had their account suspended. 

noooo.....

we could have learned more about them...

i'm so sick of these asholios...
i always want to send them a letter back saying..

dear Mutumbo Jumanji,

sorry, my account is full at the moment, turns out congo jack just died and his wife gave me $16 million to hold onto for a few months...

if i put anymore in the tax department may get suss...

tell you what, put the money in a brown paper bag and i'll keep it under my bed...

your sincerily
Barend the widow beater.

#7 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 27 May 2005 - 12:06 PM

Well, I sent them a letter telling them I'd rape them with a baseball bat if they talked to me again, but I don't think they'll read it, with being banned and all.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#8 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

If you just copied the e-mail then there is one blinding clue:
"Abidjan"
Not even a real country.
Azerbaijian is a real country. Abidjan isn't even a species of fish.

#9 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 28 May 2005 - 07:29 AM

Abidjan is a city in the ivory coast..
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#10 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 28 May 2005 - 04:28 PM

Yep, I got it as well in a PM. Just a variation on the infamous 'Nigerian Scam'. It's usually done by email, though - I've never seen anyone try it in a forum before.

This post has been edited by Helena: 28 May 2005 - 04:29 PM

The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:50 AM

QUOTE (Helena @ May 28 2005, 04:28 PM)
Yep, I got it as well in a PM. Just a variation on the infamous 'Nigerian Scam'. It's usually done by email, though - I've never seen anyone try it in a forum before.

Well, it's great because it's nice to limit yourself to sending 6 emails at a time rather than sending out 6 million via regular mail.

I bet this has resulted in a lot of cash for our little friend. smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#12 User is offline   mrtimp Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:36 PM

i keep getting this email in my yahoo box, some russian female saying she is in love with me and read my profile on some singles site (which is bullshit because i dont use them) and needs 1000 dollars so she can come meet me, i mean how many morons actually fall for this load of crap????

#13 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:43 PM

Enough for them to make a living off of it. Send her an e-mail saying the money's on the way. Attach a virus to the E-mail.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#14 User is offline   mrtimp Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

I may try that Floppy, thats the best idea i have heard all night smile.gif

#15 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 31 May 2005 - 07:02 AM

Just as a little warning gentlemen, Spamming a spammer isn't the best of ideas. They send out e-mails to millions of addresses, most of which are inactive\nonexistant. Replying only tells them that you read your mail, and they send you more as a result.

Trust me on this one, it's not worth the headache.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size