Chefelf.com Night Life: Comics subforum? - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Comics subforum?

#16 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:07 PM

Ok. And I must get those 1000 posts and spend more thana month here if I want to be mod of the comic forum.... if it ever exists.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#17 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:11 PM

Bah, modness is not measured in time spent or post count. It is judged by charicter, and experiance points. Make meat of your posts and make friends of the members, only with popular opinion will you achive your dream.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#18 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 20 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

Okay. Are we friends Kirby?

#19 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:11 AM

Only if we can be friends with benifits wink.gif.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#20 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 01:11 AM

By which definition of the phrase?
Cause you know that the typical definition is literally impossible in the forum.

Modness is hard to come by - when I suggested that a new mod be created for the Screening Room, Heccubus took over personal control of the screening room rather than make a new mod... my only chance of a mod as things stand is the SW Fan Fiction Films & Parody sub-forum - unless someone retires from modding the overall star wars forum, in which case I'm way back in the qeue... And even so - there is more to membership than aspiring to be a moderator - easiest way to lead a forum is to ask Chef to host a forum for your own website and get modness over the hosted forum.

#21 User is offline   looktothesky Icon

• Tudo Bem.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2005 - 08:52 AM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jun 20 2005, 08:11 PM)
I wanna be a mod, but the Game Room is occupied.

Hear, hear. But I've accepted the fact that I'll never, ever be a mod. What kind of Mod gets soft over the smallest of compliments, letting forum members get away with a few rule-breakings here and there?

...Me.

lol
PRECIOUS VELIUS....

#22 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 21 June 2005 - 10:57 AM

Apparently, being a Crappy News Guy and master of my own little subforum still doesn't mean that I'm technically a mod. I'm not complaining, it just perplexes me somewhat. Plus, I can't use any of the juicy mod functions. Meh.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#23 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:58 PM

But your name appears in purple. There's something to be happy about.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#24 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:45 PM

Chances are, if you ask to be a moderator, you're not going to get it. Typically that's something that the existing moderators discuss and decide. Not only that, but it takes more than a high post count to come into consideration. Seniority, behaviour, participation, these are things that are looked at. There are users with higher post counts than I who aren't moderators, for example.
Back on topic, however, I've put the idea before the other mods, so we'll see what sort of ideas come up for how to implement this. Overall, I think it could be a good idea to have a separate place for people to discuss comics. The Book Club might dissolve into a "Comics aren't real books!" debate if it stays there.

#25 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 June 2005 - 07:10 PM

I'm going to wait a LONG time before asking for moderation. Right now, I don't want to be a moderator, just want to see if the comic sub-forum gets made.

#26 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jun 21 2005, 05:45 PM)
The Book Club might dissolve into a "Comics aren't real books!" debate if it stays there.

But... but nobody in the Book Club is saying that at all...

#27 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 22 June 2005 - 03:21 PM

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ Jun 22 2005, 12:07 PM)
But... but nobody in the Book Club is saying that at all...

Oh, but we're all thinking it. Just try and deny it. tongue.gif
I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#28 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 22 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

Well I'm not thinking it, so I can deny that statement. I think another Sub-forum for comics, and yet another mod is a bad idea,

Firstly there's too high a Chiefs to Indians ratio round here as it is with all the website subforums.

Secondly. There's no need for a separate comics forum unless we suddenly get inundated with angry fanboys who need moderation when arguing about the latest batman rewrite. Which based on the number of comic discussions so far, isn't that likely.

As a side point, why the hell do you guys want to be mods anyway? It's not exciting. You have to read all the threads (even the really boring ones), put up with people whiing at you to correct their mistakes, and enforce the rules. Nothing exciting. I suspect you're just after the power and the glory, something that doesn't tend to make a good moderator anyway.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#29 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 22 June 2005 - 05:27 PM

A breakdown of the Night Life moderation staff:
Carlos 9 & Chefelf: Admin
The obvious ones. They ban those who need banning, make sure things are working properly, and help the moderators with problems beyond their control. Aside from that, they seem to have entrusted the rest of us with their forums.
Me: Head Moderator
I try to keep tabs on just about everything outside of the Star Wars forums, which I hate visiting with a passion. This is incredibly difficult at times, as I can't really read every single post that's made in every single forum. This is why we have the "report post" function, which few seem to use when it's actually needed.
Despondent and civilian_number_two: Star Wars moderators
They only moderate the Star Wars section. This is where we need the extra moderating staff, as these forums alone usually cause more problems than the rest of the message board combined.
J m HofMarN, Chyld, Jon Gutner, Laura, Ninja Duck, Rhubarb, Shawnathan, SimeSublime, Sweater Girl, and Yahtzee: Website moderators
Aside from Chyld and SimeSublime, these guys can only moderate in their own website forums. Sime helps out with J m's moderating as well as handling the Game Room, and Chyld contributes to the News Desk as well as his own forums. Now, Gutner and Sweater Girl no longer visit, so they don't even count as moderators anymore, but their powers were still limited to their own websites. None of these guys can just walk into the Lobby and start deleting posts or anything.
barend and K1NGWARREN: News Desk contributors
They only work in the News Desk, and on the rest of the forum, they're regular users.

Now, this leaves the Lobby, Suggestion Box, Movie Theater, Television Talk, Book Club, Chefelf's Office, Celebrity Stalker, and Graveyard without official moderators. That means that all of these are handled by myself and the admins. Even then, the media forums that I'm listed as moderating are only like that because I was either asked to moderate them, or in the case of the Screening Room, because people wanted an official mod for it.
My point is this: we really are spread relatively thin as far as moderating goes. So far, things are being handled well, and we don't have too many problems, but when things get out of hand in one of the forums that are left to just the three of us, it can be difficult. Thankfully, the majority of the users here are not problematic in any way, so this isn't an issue.

And anyway, I'm pushing ahead with the comics forum, because I think it's a good idea. There's been a bit of support for putting a subforum in the Book Club, and just trying it out for a bit to see how it goes.

#30 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:10 PM

QUOTE (Heccubus @ Jun 21 2005, 05:45 PM)
The Book Club might dissolve into a "Comics aren't real books!" debate if it stays there.

You still haven't explained your reasoning behind this. :P So far your valid arguments for a Comic Forum are "I want one" and "No way are there too many mods".

edit - Someday I'm gonna hunt down the fucker who drew these emoticons.

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 22 June 2005 - 06:12 PM

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size