Chefelf.com Night Life: Quentin Tarantino - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Quentin Tarantino Is it wrong NOT to be a fan of him?

#1 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:17 PM

Director Quentin Tarantino - I admire him. I'm not a fan, but I do admire him and his approach to writing and directing films. He has an offbeat style that part of me, as an aspiring writer, wishes it could replicate. But when I sit down and watch his films, I find that I admire them more for being different than actually enjoying them. I kind of enjoyed "Kill Bill" and "Pulp Fiction", but I didn't really enjoy them as a whole the way I enjoyed something like "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "The Terminator".

Wherever I go, whenever I talk films with people, the split second I say I'm not really a Tarantino fan, I'm automatically ostracized, almost stoned to death. I've met like 2 people who think it's alright that I'm not a Tarantino fan. So I'd like to ask the rest of you - is it really so wrong NOT to be a fan of Quentin Tarantino? People say that they don't like Steven Spielberg but they don't get treated like crap for it; if anything, they're usually praised for it, from what I've seen.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#2 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 December 2004 - 12:20 PM

I'm not a fan. I liked Kill Bill, thought Pulp Fiction was rather boring. People have their own opinions, and it's not like you said you didn't like Blackadder. Now that would be inexcusible.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#3 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 09 December 2004 - 06:18 PM

If you want to appreciate Tarantino at his best go rent "Four Rooms" It's completely unknown despite starring Madonna, Bruce Willis, Tim Roth, Antonio Banderas and various other mentionables. It's four seperate scenes each directed by a wonderful indie director. The final scene is Tarantino's and it truly is highly commendable.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#4 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 09 December 2004 - 08:40 PM

Four Rooms was excellent. But Tarantino didn't direct that, he just wrote it. I think he might have produced it too, not sure though.

I do like Quentin, but you can tell he like anime a ton. And references it alot in his films. The sword ordeal gave me that thought.
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#5 User is offline   mesa fanboy killer Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:14 PM

The thing is when i first saw Pulp Fiction ...i was kinda bored! Its actually quite a long slow movie. I do think its good/clever but I dont shit my pants every time I see it.

Crazy thing is I actually enjoyed Kill Bill2 the most.

#6 User is offline   Hannibal Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 09 December 2004 - 10:23 PM

Pulp Fiction: ehh, it was interesting.

Kill Bill: total worthless commercial audience pandering shit.

as you can see i am not a big fan of Tarentino, although I am glad he helped release HERO.
"Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities also has the power to make you commit atrocities."
~ Voltaire (1694-1778)

Enjoy this Tribute to Nazism...(Mp3)

#7 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator

Posted 09 December 2004 - 11:35 PM

I like Tarantino's work, although I can't be bothered to see Jackie Brown. Doesn't interest me. Pulp Fiction and Reservoir Dogs rank among two of my all-time favourite movies, and Kill Bill is pretty damned good as well. It manages to satirize AND pay homage to old drive in flicks at the same time, which I like. Plus Uma Thurman is a cutie.
Most of his non-directorial stuff is pretty abysmal though.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 11 December 2004 - 07:44 AM

I've never seen any of Tarantino's films. Not my sort of thing at all. I think it's easier to get away with if you're a girl, though.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 12 December 2004 - 04:01 PM

While still a great director, his homage to B-grade crime/action movies and novels is running a little stale. Id like to see him do something completely diffrent for his next project

#10 User is offline   Shawnathan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 December 2004 - 05:47 PM

The only thing I really enjoyed was the weird directing job. In Pulp Fiction where Uma Thurman makes a square with her hands, with dotted lines. I think he might have took that from a Flintstones episode.

And the sound effects! He has the most weird choice of sound for his movies. Like in Kill Bill 2, where Uma throws the trailer door open to kill that one dude (I forget his name). When she threw the door open it made this weird sound effect, I can't explain it...but it wasn't a sound a door made when swung open.

Quentin has a weird way of shooting car shots in front of a bluescreen. Tarantino kind of pulls the camera back away from the car, as if he WANTED the audience to know the backdrop was fake. Kind of weird.

But he sure is different.
--Idiotic Inc. "Teaching Cheerleaders to use birth control since 2004"
--They Call Him Rick: I'm telling you, it's not that bad

#11 User is offline   Voodoo Dog Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:The Republic of Ireland AKA The Irish Free State The Emerald Isle Hibernia Eire Erin Eireann That Fucking Boghole

Posted 12 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

As much as I LOVE Tarintino, I can kinda see why someone would hate him. He does ramble on and on about total bollocks sometimes (kinda like me) like in the opening to Resevoir Dogs. Who the fuck cares about Like A Virgin? Who the fuck cares if Madonna's singing about some time she got fucked by a well endowed jock? It's an annoying song that's complete and utter shit. Apart from the version in Moulin Rouge, that rocked. I think Tarintino does it to show these hoods are real guys who just happen to have a job which involves murdering and torturing innocent people. That foot massage speech in Pulp Fiction is a good example of this and is really entertaining too. Well I think it is anyway. Although I prefer Reservoir Dogs to Pulp Fiction. YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?

#12 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:12 PM

I was royally offended to even watch Kill Bill. I haven't seen anything else he's done, but I'm not the least bit impressed by that steaming pile of viscera. Style means nothing when everything else is agony to sit through. But I digress. At the moment, my rating of the man is highly OVERRATED'D! Maybe it'll get better if I watch some of his other stuff. I'll exeunt before I'm eaten alive by rabid fans now.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#13 User is offline   Voodoo Dog Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Location:The Republic of Ireland AKA The Irish Free State The Emerald Isle Hibernia Eire Erin Eireann That Fucking Boghole

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:19 PM

I've never seen Kill Bill, but I heard it's quite different to his usually work, at least the first one is. He normally doesn't use action too much. He usually has people talking about inane shit in an entertaining way, like discussing what quaterpounders are called in France. Royale wit cheese! It's a lot better than it sounds, trust me. At least, I think it is. If you want to get into Tarantino, I would suggest Reservoir Dogs. Not too much inane babble, and it has really likeable characters, even if they are scumbags. If you haven't heard the famous twist already, then for the love of god, nobody tell him! Took me completely by surprise.

Also, Quentin Tarantino is the coolest name EVER. It even beats Yassar Arafat.

#14 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:50 PM

Reserviour Dogs had some absolutely classic exchanges and remains one of my fav films. Pulp Fiction was really orginal when it first came out and then became so over done in the media that it became over rated. However I watched it again recently and forgot how good it really was 10 years later.

I though "Four Rooms" was a horrible bore and Jackie Brown was average at best. It was sad to watch Pam grier doing the promo for that film thinking she was going to have a Travolta-like comeback only to watch her go back to direct-to-video films a year later.

I do not think Tarantino has a very large body of work to go by and appears to be the type you either enjoy greatly or are indifferent towards.

#15 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 11:19 PM

Hmmm...

I think Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown and Reservoir Dogs (in that order) are his best. ...While KB and KB2, while great, are far worse than those three.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size