Chefelf.com Night Life: We need another villian here - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

We need another villian here The glory days...

#31 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 05:05 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jun 17 2005, 01:12 AM)
Sometimes, just for the fun of it, I dig old topics, especially this one, when civilian first deigned to comment on my post. I wonder if you still remember it, civ  smile.gif
http://www.chefelf.c...opic=1079&st=15

Wow, that's great. I was such a bastard to you. Still agree though that there's something fundamentally wrong with going on about not knowing who some pop culture artist is, when conducting a conversation only seconds away from Google. Face to face, sure, but when you can just look something up before replying? Anyway, yeah, I was a little harsher than usual in that post. Apologies.

Vampsmasher, we're only avoiding saying we all know who you are because Chefelf has asked us to. Stop pretending you didn't get what Jordan was getting at. Flying off the handle over a perceived sleight requires that you pretend you're dumber than you are, and nothing could be more boring than that.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#32 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:18 PM

Ok, clearly I've pissed off more people with this thread then I anticipated I would (always have to be aware that some one is going to get mad, even if it's about something as non-controversial as ice cream flavours.)

I've already stated that the title for this thread was a poor choice. I don't mind the new members, If you'll recall there was a time when I wanted more PT lovers and SW chatters to help move threads.

It seems the original chatters are more scattered now. I guess I miss them all in one place. ya it's greedy, but I thought I'd mention it any ways.

I'm not saying CHEFELF.com is weak. There is a lot more in this forum than SW debates, I'm aware, and we still have a healthy community. Lot's of new faces and many old ones make up for a good friendly (usually friendly) online chat forum.

I regret making this post now. I guess I should have PM'd the original SW debaters and asked them if they wanted to localize posts to a few topics and so forth.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 17 June 2005 - 06:19 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#33 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 06:27 PM

There's nothing wrong with being a villian. I look forward to the day I can twiddle my moustace while laughing at the fair maiden tied up on the train tracks.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#34 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:23 PM

Rarr! Someone ate all the strawberry ice cream! Strawberry is the best flavor! *gets mad*
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#35 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:00 AM

I just find it interesting that most of the complaint's I've heard are from those who mostly frequent the Star Wars forums. Just step outside the box and the rest of us old guard are still here.

And Rhubarb, you're pretty much the poster girl for Newbie Rights, after your defence of Dragonspawn(I think) when he arrived.

And strawberry is good, but spearmint is better.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#36 User is offline   Emu Icon

• the internets
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:fire, typing random things; getting guys drunk and getting them to do my Spanish homework for me; time travel; exploding things.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:02 AM

Nuh-uh!

(Spearmint, huh? I need to try that.)
Head Gunner for the Royal Sloop Crimson Steel, Queen of the Dead, Instigator of Chaos and Confusion, Knight of the Grand Recursive Order of the Lambda Calculus, and also The Non.

Remember Emu's face, people; one day it's going to be on the news alongside a headline about blowing some landmark to smithereens, and then we can all sigh and say, "She was such a normal person".....
....We'd be lying though.
-Laughlyn

If my doctor tells me to exercise, I am going to force him to do my homework.
-Mirithorn

- Do Not Use the Elevators - deviantART - Infinite Monkeys -

#37 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:56 AM

QUOTE (SimeSublime @ Jun 18 2005, 01:00 AM)
And Rhubarb, you're pretty much the poster girl for Newbie Rights, after your defence of Dragonspawn(I think) when he arrived.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

#38 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 18 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ Jun 17 2005, 02:30 PM)
It is not really that surprising. Most people fear the unknown and feel good only in familiar environment. The new members are a huge unknown factor. I don’t blame anyone for being rather vary of new members. We are all territorial.
Before I registered, I had been reading the forum for months, to make sure I understand the rules and general tone of conversation. I don’t think anyone has worked harder than me to be accepted and liked in these parts. So how about those new members being nasty to everyone? After a few encounters with new members when I was called names and asked questions “What country are you from, Borneo?” do you really blame me for not wanting to talk to all and sundry who registers here? I much prefer talking to old members, who I know are highly unlikely to offend me like that.

Well, MC, you are certainly right about that. You've been a pleasure to have around and I've always enjoyed PMing with you and talking with you on the forums. smile.gif I hope I didn't come off that I was attacking your stance on this subject. I wasn't attacking yours or Jordan's at all, simply stating as I have noticed on this and many other forums that there reaches a point (post count? amount of time on a forum?) where an average user decides that everything that's happened since such and such a date is rubbish and it's not like the good old days.

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ Jun 17 2005, 02:41 PM)
edit - I should point out that although I registered a fair while back, I only started posting outside of the Fullyramblomatic forums a month or two ago. Or whenever it was. So I wasn't around for 'the good old days' and don't really have oldbie status.

And it was to our delight that you became more active in the rest of the forum. Your unique perspective always lends a lot of fun to most topics. If only we could convince Yahtzee to do the same. wink.gif

QUOTE (Chyld @ Jun 17 2005, 02:57 PM)
Personally, I see the forums I frequent like I saw my first few weeks at university. You get there, nobody knows who the hell you are, and vice versa, and if you get out there and do your thing, somebodys going to like it, so that before two months is out, you've got someone you can get ratarsed with in between "studying". Only replace getting ratarsed with banging on about pirates, and replace "studying" with pretending to bang on about Star Wars.

That's a good way of putting it. Some people take a little time to come out of their shell and other just start out being annoying right off the bat. Just like college, high school and life in general. wink.gif

QUOTE (Chyld @ Jun 17 2005, 02:57 PM)
The way I see it, as long as the hoardes of n00bs coming in with the wake of ROTS don't bother me, and don't steal all of Chefelfs bandwidth so that he goes poor, then they can hang around the place. Cretins like SQPR, however, have no place in my universe, and will be flamed to a light crisp.

Well, the people who come because of Star Wars generally stay in the designated Star Wars areas. After time they will journey out and see what else is going on.

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 17 2005, 06:18 PM)
Ok, clearly I've pissed off more people with this thread then I anticipated I would (always have to be aware that some one is going to get mad, even if it's about something as non-controversial as ice cream flavours.)

Nah. I can't speak for anyone else but I'm not "pissed." Of course nothing really gets me "pissed" except possibly annoying people on cell phones on the subway.

smile.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#39 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 06:09 PM

How about loud farts in the subway?

QUOTE (Chefelf @ Jun 18 2005, 04:45 PM)
And it was to our delight that you became more active in the rest of the forum.  Your unique perspective always lends a lot of fun to most topics.  If only we could convince Yahtzee to do the same.  wink.gif

Yeah, right. YZ's answer to our Anger thread would be "You guys are insane."
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#40 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 19 June 2005 - 12:41 AM

Wow. Chefelf is clearly the wisest of all, no wonder he got the role of Elrond in the LOTR thread. I agree, in fact that's kind of why I started the first impressions thread, to remind everyone that we were all new once.

As for the Yahtzee question I say we just leave a trail of crumpets and lemony snickets, and jelly pufflemurs.

Now getting Jacques to come around, that's a challenge!

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#41 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:20 AM

Yeah, that guy was hella tight. And I miss Kat! *pouts* And remember when Lefty had that horrible forum that kept indenting and moving posts down before he made the W00bored? I used to kill off every thread in that place.

I'm not afraid of the unknown online. I remain neutral to everyone new until they give me a reason to like them or get pissed. Floppy was new, but he has a good sense of humor, as was Kirbs. Other people show up and make a whole lot of stupid posts and irritate me. It almost makes me want to request that this be added as an instructional howto video on how internet message boards work.

In real life, however, it takes me a while to get comfortable around lots of people who I don't know. And when a new person shows up to my group, I am a little wary, as I don't know what's going to happen, but I don't automatically assume that the person is a shallow jackass with no sense of humor that I can relate to.

ChefElf, you are too damned eloquent, yet succint in your posts. You need to go work for the UN or something with those skills.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#42 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:37 AM

And it was to our delight that you became more active in the rest of the forum. Your unique perspective always lends a lot of fun to most topics.

Don't say that, you'll ruin my image.

ChefElf, you are too damned eloquent, yet succint in your posts. You need to go work for the UN or something with those skills.

Yeah, he wouldn't have stood for no illegal war! He'd have eloquised the fuck out of that damn Cheney.

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 19 June 2005 - 03:39 AM

#43 User is offline   Heccubus Icon

• Ugh.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 June 2005 - 03:52 AM

I was waiting for one of these threads to pop up. Eventually, someone has to sit there and go "Hey, things were SO better back when no one knew about this place..."
So the Night Life got a little more popular, and we have a lot more users than we did when Chefelf started the thing. Oh well. The place started out as an experiment, and if it's still standing, there must be a reason for it.

#44 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 06:19 AM

I've been saying this for ages now. He should take that job that entails talking people out of jumping off of buildings.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#45 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 19 June 2005 - 08:17 PM

the great thing about message boards is that you have no excuse to miss the past, cause every conversation you ever had is here somewhere recorded...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
and emu (spearmint flavoured milk is awsome so imagine it's ice cream counterpart would revel in equal amounts of awsomeness)

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size