Chefelf.com Night Life: We need another villian here - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

We need another villian here The glory days...

#1 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:57 PM

Who remembers not to long ago when INDIANA JONES and RETURN OF THE JEDI were all we talked about?

Remember Civillian vs Mike Mac - JYAMG vs Mike Mac - Civillian and JYAMG vs Mike Mac?

Remember the hilarity that took place as these guys went round after round talking about why TOD and ROTJ was crap/gold?

Or when Hannibal found political/religious undertones in everything on the planet, and how we all reacted?

I think we need MIke mac and Hannibal. OR, we need to find a new villian, some one who likes the PT's and TOD. I'm sure with the noob crop we can find one.

The thing is that there are so many topics in so many sub fourms, that coming together under one thread is almost impossible.

We need a localized villian in a popular thread. As of late, topics are getting like 20 hits maximum, who remembers the 200 plus battle thread about ROTJ? It was a great read!

Any one with me? We must strive for community! Community= Threads we all interact in, some one we can all gang up on.

There are a ton of PT lovers in the forum now, why don't we bait them? THey are trying to bait us, but nobody is interested.

Damn, am I the only one? Where is JYAMG? Why is civillian not hounding the same threads like he use too, Where is despontent, Chef, mike mac. Where is barend with his take on SW! Madam Corvax, helena. Maybe you are battling it out in the SW convention, but I can't find any of you!

You see what am getting at here?
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#2 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

Ah, the good old days... smile.gif

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 15 2005, 07:57 PM)
Damn, am I the only one?  Where is JYAMG?  Why is civillian not hounding the same threads like he use too, Where is despontent, Chef, mike mac.  Where is barend with his take on SW!  Madam Corvax, helena.  Maybe you are battling it out in the SW convention, but I can't find any of you!

Movie Goer has left, and I haven't seen Mike Mac around for ages. MC and I still post here occasionally, but we got so tired of going through the same arguments every time a new gusher turned up that we've taken to hiding out in another forum. I think the others are still here as well, just posting less frequently.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#3 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:40 PM

But with so many people here, there arn't many topics that we all agree on. How are we gonna find a topic that will remain interesting, yet be one sided?
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#4 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 03:43 PM

I'm glad I missed out those good old days.

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:08 PM

Why? Go back and read the old posts. Everybody had a say and the conversation was lively. Now it seems people are scattered all over the place. It's so hard to strike up a good topic.

There are so many SW threads! Where do you start!
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:11 PM

Uh. Are you saying there aren't enough people having their say, or that there are too many?

#7 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 04:55 PM

I'm saying I miss the way everybody use to join in on one thread and strike up awesome debates. The best threads always had two or three people in a strong debate, while other people joined in from the side lines.

My all time favorite is when Civillian and JYAMG discussed the cons of TEMPLE OF DOOM and RETURN OF THE JEDI. Mike Mac and a few others did the pros. But mostly Mike.

This type of debate spilled in to many other movies too. There was also good religious and political debates. Even the far fetched antics of hannibal sparked some cool threads. At the time I hated him, but now I realize how important people like him are to forum communities. They stir the straw of controversy and others jump on the wagon. IT was fun to read and comment on older topics.

Now, with more members, more forums, and more threads, every one seems so scattered. Conversation seems harder to strike up. The cool thing about Hannibal and Mike mac is that they never gave up. Mike Mac did after a long sparring match, he left out of anger. But came back later and resolved the disputes.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 15 June 2005 - 04:58 PM

#8 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:03 PM

I think the thing is, Jordan, and I have noticed this a LOT lately, is that every time someone wants to say something, they start up a thread. When I visit this forum, I click on "view new posts," and if it's been as much as 24 hours since my last visit, there are no fewer than 4 pages of results, ever time. Remember the "results" only shows topic headers.

Yeesh. You can't get a good flowing argument when the apparent rule is that you should only reply to the most recent post. Once something goes even vaguely off topic, rather than try to bring it back, folks start a new thread.

I noticed this mostly a little while back when ROTS came out and everyone and his dog -well, not me, and not my dog- had a thread titled something like "I am so and so and I just saw the movie." Those all easily could have been one thread called "first impressions." I even thought about merging them all, but by the time I noticed the trend, it had been running for about five hours and there were nearly 20 such threads. Now we have Chef's new "reasons" thread. This is the rational place to post counter-arguments, but instead of that we have every detractor holding court under his own personal subject line. The result? Each of those threads is about three posts long, and is soon forgotten.

It's hard to get a good argument going that way. Chef's reaction to all of this has been to reorganize the forum into various sub-topics and separate areas, which I think is a good idea, given the trend. I just thing the trend itself is a bad idea.

Also everything that Helen said. I should add that JM was always good for a pretty good debate, before he started taking everything personal and then started up his own site to create one-sided rants against religion. He's up to about a million posts a day now, and yet I can't ever find anything to argue with him about.

Jordan, I think the message is clear: You need to kill all the children - er - Jedi - I mean useless threads. You will do this for the good of the Republic, and the Jedi, and stuff, and then I swear we'll be able to bring whatsername back to life, or something. YOU shall be the new villain of the Chefelf boards!
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#9 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:50 PM

Wait, don't you mean younglings?

Yeah, I guess our policy, just let every goddamn thing go off topic, does kinda support this behaviour abit. Hmmm, well this is a bit of an eye opener, I'm not sure what i'm going to do about it but I'll do it.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:00 PM

QUOTE (Jordan @ Jun 15 2005, 01:57 PM)
Or when Hannibal found political/religious undertones in everything on the planet, and how we all reacted?

Or when he called you a dumbass...wink.gif

and everyone else and turned this place into a google top page N4Z1 search...

or spam us with non stop random pictures

or insult everyone...

no...

i think we're doing fine on that front...

#11 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:12 PM

Distance lends enchantment I suppose, well at least the debate club still rocks.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#12 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:10 PM

good calls everybody. good cause.

browsing new posts is a little like missile command, part Whack-a-mole.
Should I start a new topic on this?

#13 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:42 PM

The good old days... I remember reading through all those Mike Mac vs Movie Goer/Civilian threads on Temple of Doom and Return of the Jedi... they were good fun to read. Then there were the old gusher vs basher Jariten vs the rest of everyone thing - these days the gusher vs basher trip in the Star Wars forum is over - its more old guard versus n00bs.

And most of the old guard has buggered off - plus with the subforum layout, though much cooler and easier to find the thread you want to find, if you want to do a general forum thing it takes ages.

I think the departure of the old villains, the winding down of the screening room projects that had great readership (Glamis the Great, Starry Nights, The Lord of the Rings and the Star Wars Outings) and ROTS really ended the whole good old days thing.
(I don't suppose anyone from the admin group is willing to fire and brimstone down the member count and get the old forum back? Still, the General Discussion board is doing fine)

#14 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:32 AM

Old Forum? Eh? I don't want to argue with a bunch of Star Wars geeks. I don't want to put up with Hannibal calling everyone FASCIST! (ADMIT IT!). It's dumb to make an announcement every time someone new joins (though Biggy's thread kinda exploded), sure, but three's lots of fun things outside the heavily guarded SW compound. Those AT-ATs do a damned good job.

Randomness, movies, books, video games, writing your own stuff and having people look at it and tell you how much they like/dislike it, debates on topical subjects, frivilous debates for fun, pretending you're a pirate... Yeah, I think we're still doing a fine job around here.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#15 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 16 June 2005 - 12:17 PM

And by the way Civilian, as I've said before if you actually bother to read my forums rather than just look at the names of the topics you might know that there's a lot more to Jelly Pufflemur than just bitching about religion. I'm really up for a good debate whenever but it seems everything's been done. Maybe what we need around here is some sort of debate promoter who can figure out a topic and book combatants, kind of like Don King only without the hair.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size