• +
  • Last »

I'm confused...

#1 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:18 PM

Ok, I have thought about this before, and I am somewhat confused.

I remember seeing things in the movie theater while watching The Phantom Menace back in 1999, and some of the scenes are not on the VHS or DVD.

The ones I know FOR A FACT that I saw are Anakin fighting the little Rodian and Qui-Gon attacking the Sith probe droid. Both of which are mentioned on THIS website.

In addition, I also remember a scene on Naboo, shortly after the Jedi reunite after arriving on the planet for the first time, where Obi Wan couldnt use his lightsaber because it was activated while in the water and it was essentially "fried".

There was like 3 or 4 lines of dialogue that accompanied it.

OW: "Sorry master, I fried my lightsaber"
QG: "You forgot to shut your power off"

....etc etc. Thats not WORD for WORD, but its something along those lines...cut me some slack, I'm working off of the memory of someone who was a sixth grader at the time.

Is it possible that George Lucas cut some stuff out of the movie while it was in limbo before releasing it on VHS a year after its theatrical release?

I know that the DVD of The Phantom Menance included the "Coruscant Sky Taxi" scene (as seen on the link above) that was originally deleted. At first when I saw that I was confused because I didnt remember it. I went back and listened to the commentary and Lucas himself said that they put it in the DVD even though it was not originally in the movie.

There could essentially be a non-directors cut in existence somewhere out there with all these scenes that in them. Hell, if its good enough for the movie theaters, why isnt it good enough for the home movie crowd?

Anyways, does anybody have any input? Anyone know whats going on? Anybody else remember those scenes? Anyone think that I an NOT insane?

EDIT: I would be very interested in getting Chefelfs input on this.

This post has been edited by Giff: 13 June 2005 - 05:22 PM

#2 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:21 PM

I sure wouldn't put it past GL to change things like that. I was about 9 at the time, so I can't tell you anything specific from the movies.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#3 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:23 PM

Word. I was 12 when I saw it in theaters...but my mind was like a sponge for any and all things Star Wars. I know I didnt imagine it.

#4 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:38 PM

Perhaps theater bootlegs of the movie would have the scenes in there.

Just a hunch, I dont know.

#5 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 14 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

That scenes were deleted and they are on the DVD. They are in the bonus features on the second disc.

But I don't recall that scene with the ''fried'' lightsaber...
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#6 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:58 AM

I looked into it a little bit.

Indeed some of those scenes, and more are on the DVD.

However, I only recieved the THE PHANTOM MENACE on DVD about 2 weeks ago, and I only have Disc 1...so I have never seen anything off of Disc 2. I saw those scenes IN THE MOVIE THEATER.

THIS site has in depth info on all of the deeted scenes from all the movies (sans REVENGE OF THE SITH)...including the "fried lightsaber"

I KNEW I WASNT CRAZY! laugh.gif

However, it still doesnt answer the question why George Lucas felt the need to show them, then delete them for the VHS version (which I have seen about 10-15 times and do NOT contain the scenes) and later the DVD.

#7 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:41 AM

You saw this in the theatre you say?

This isn't like the legendary, "I saw the Biggs scene" for ANH is it? Where several people swear up and down they saw the additional footage of Luke talking to Biggs in the beginning even though it was never in ANY of the copies that went out? smile.gif
When actually people saw the Bigg's pictures in the Star Wars kids storybook and kind of "transplanted" it from that to the screen in their mind. At one time I believed I had, too.

Not that I'm doubting you, I'm just saying there might be a phenomenon with these films... rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 15 June 2005 - 07:44 AM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#8 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:59 AM

I know it puts me in a weird position that makes me easily doubtable...but I specifically remember those few scenes.

This has been in my head for years. I use to have a fascination with lightsabers, so the fact that one got "fried" just kind of stuck with me. And I later thought it was weird tht the scene "dissapeared" when I bought it on VHS a year later.

Like the title of the thread says...I'M CONFUSED. The Star Wars world has so many mysteries that one is easily in way over his head.

And as for the Biggs thing, that was a whole freakin scene...with new characters, dialogue, etc. These were just minor clips that were cut out of larger scenes. I know for a fact that I saw them in the theater.

#9 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 15 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

It very well could be. I know I didn't see them, only in stills.

I don't think this kills your credibility, though.... smile.gif
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#10 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 15 June 2005 - 05:54 PM

I also experienced this 'I swear I saw it in the cinema' syndrome, except it was in ROTJ when Luke falls into the rancor pit and tries to escape by jumping up and hanging on the grid.
As with the Biggs scene witnesses, I had seen a photo of it in a ROTJ storybook so that's probably where my young impressionable mind got it from.

I think the novel of TPM has the 'fried my lightsabre' line in it.

#11 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:47 PM

I have never read the novel, nor have I EVER had any exposure to the sources where these scenes have made an appearance,...aside from that first time, mind you

#12 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 16 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

While we're on the subject (well I was) of still photos not seen in the films, can anybody remember seeing a picture of the two stormtroopers after Luke and Han stole their armour on the Death Star? I saw this in a magazine in the seventies and they were both sitting down in green vests(?). It could have been a behind-the-scenes picture of the actors that played stormtroopers but I was too young to notice minor details, such as facts.

Giff, that scene may also have been in a making-of documentary. So maybe you're not mad!

"We all go a little crazy sometimes." - Norman Bates, Psycho

#13 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

But I remember it from the movie theater!

I hate George Lucas... crying.gif

#14 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:22 PM

Don't worry about it. GL's the crazy one here.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#15 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 18 June 2005 - 10:37 PM

QUOTE (Giff @ Jun 16 2005, 07:50 PM)
I hate George Lucas... crying.gif

We all hate him Giff. We all hate him.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size