• +

The Dark Side Cave

#1 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:18 PM

I've never understood what the cave actually is. For a while I thought it was the cave where Jedi would go to get the crystal for thier sabers, and then I thought it was just a cave where the Dark Side was concentrated. What is it?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#2 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:43 PM

It is a cave where the Dark Side is concentrated. I've no idea if Luke just goes into a trance and sees what he sees, or if he actually carries out his actions in a hallucination. I might be reading too much into it but it looks to me that the cave has a section of wall that looks like the corridor on Cloud City leading to the gantry.
The other thing that isn't clear about Luke's training is how long he is on Dagobah for. I'm guessing it is a few weeks/months and all that time the Falcon is limping to Bespin on sublight engines.

This post has been edited by Trigormike: 13 June 2005 - 02:45 PM

#3 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jun 13 2005, 02:18 PM)
I've never understood what the cave actually is. For a while I thought it was the cave where Jedi would go to get the crystal for thier sabers, and then I thought it was just a cave where the Dark Side was concentrated. What is it?

I've heard a Sith lord died in the cave and his death left an aura of evil in the cave.

#4 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 13 June 2005 - 03:48 PM

I guess that would make sense. The aura would cause people's fears to be manifested as hallucinations.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#5 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 13 June 2005 - 07:36 PM

(Tell me if you've heard this already)

In my rewrites, long ago (about 500 years), an evil Sith spirit plagued the galaxy, possessing people and using them to scheme against the Jedi and Republic. Well, one hero by the name of Kane Skywalker who and his surviving family forced the Sith spirit into this "cave" (actually, it's a construct if you notice in ESB) and sealed it there. In the next 500 years, all of the anger and hate and pure evil that the creature possessed seeped into the caves, corrupted the animal life around. Palpatine who was an explorer at one point (which was an idea Lucas had) was possessed by the spirit when he discovered Dagobah and the cave. In a moment of poetic "justice" the Spirit dumps Yoda on Dagobah. smile.gif

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 13 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 11:33 PM

QUOTE (andy_k_250 @ Jun 13 2005, 03:29 PM)
I've heard a Sith lord died in the cave and his death left an aura of evil in the cave.

if only they had bothered to put some effort into justifying that one while they had the chance... in ep.3

no... better that we see chewbacca and yoda were friends...

#7 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:38 AM

I think the Sith Lord had died there thousands of years ago.

Chewbacca shouldn't have been in the prequels.
If he knows Yoda then he would know about, and believe in the Force, so there's a good chance Han would too.
He must have been too engrossed in his game of holochess, or wondering which of Threepio's arms to pull off first, that he didn't put Han straight when he calls it "A lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

#8 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 09:54 AM

Maybe Chewbacca is a common name on Kashyyyk, equivalent to Antilles everywhere else? Maybe. You never know, you never, never know.
(Dare to dream.)

#9 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:42 AM

if only they had bothered to put some effort into justifying that one while they had the chance... in ep.3

no... better that we see chewbacca and yoda were friends...

Everything in the prequels is screwed up.

I think the Sith Lord had died there thousands of years ago.

Chewbacca shouldn't have been in the prequels.
If he knows Yoda then he would know about, and believe in the Force, so there's a good chance Han would too.
He must have been too engrossed in his game of holochess, or wondering which of Threepio's arms to pull off first, that he didn't put Han straight when he calls it "A lot of simple tricks and nonsense."

Chewbacca shouldn't have been in it, and neither should have Boba Fett (or Jango for that matter!) and defiantely not Jar Jar Binks, Yoda, Greedo and several other characters reintroduced to us from the OT.

This should have been a galaxy, not some tiny little town. I would say that meeting up with someone in a galaxy as big as that and finding them again in some random travels would be very, very thin indeed.

#10 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 11:51 AM

Nice to see you meet up, Paladin. Hope you're doing well.

#11 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 14 June 2005 - 02:06 PM

QUOTE (CowboyCurtis @ Jun 13 2005, 07:36 PM)
(Tell me if you've heard this already)

In my rewrites, long ago (about 500 years), an evil Sith spirit plagued the galaxy, possessing people and using them to scheme against the Jedi and Republic.  Well, one hero by the name of Kane Skywalker who and his surviving family forced the Sith spirit into this "cave" (actually, it's a construct if you notice in ESB) and sealed it there.  In the next 500 years, all of the anger and hate and pure evil that the creature possessed seeped into the caves, corrupted the animal life around.  Palpatine who was an explorer at one point (which was an idea Lucas had) was possessed by the spirit when he discovered Dagobah and the cave.  In a moment of poetic "justice" the Spirit dumps Yoda on Dagobah.  smile.gif

I like that idea. Have you posted your rewrites anywhere?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#12 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 06:43 PM

I think that when ESB was written, there was an idea that the Force was in all living things, and that Dark and Light were everywhere. The Cave had strong Dark concentration, and that's it. It's one of those places, and there ought to be many. Apparently the volcano on Had Abaddon (now Mustafar) was another.

NOW that STAR WARS has been hopelessly demystifed with dumb prophecies and midichlorians, I wouldn't be surprised if in fact there were some dumb explanation like the cave being the resting place of a Sith, or an Indian burial ground, or some similarly literal crap.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#13 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:00 PM

You know what single feature really hurt Lucas,imo? The fact that every body in the OT used the phrase "may the force be with you".

I was under the impression that any one could use the force. If a person wanted to be a Jedi, they would have to start off at a young age and train vigoursly. According to Yoda, the force was in everything, even inanimate rocks. I thought it was just energy, and Jedi could use the energy from surrounding objects.

I never fully understood the force cave, I thought it was something Yoda set up to help train Luke.

I really enjoyed my take on the force.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 15 June 2005 - 01:01 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#14 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:26 PM

Damn Straight. What is with the cave? and the doorway being the same as later with Vader? Is this really happening? A dream? ghosts? Cold? the snake? WTF?

I don't want to know.

#15 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 16 June 2005 - 09:19 AM

It's mentioned, I believe, in one of the Zahn books that the cave is the location of some sort of final stand that Yoda had with an enemy. I assumed this had been when the Emperor "hunted down" the Jedi, before ROTS showed us that the hunt only took about 1 hour.

I'd always imagined that Dagobah became the way it did as the result of some sort of climactic Force battle between Yoda and a dark Force user (not a Sith lord, as Sith lords shouldn't actually exist outside of Darth Vader). Yoda's own shortcomings as a Jedi master and his darkness helped make Dagobah the way it was in ESB which is why Yoda chose to stay there and meditate on what he'd done.

Of course, that's assuming Yoda and the evil guy were strong enough with the Force that they coudl have such an intense battle... not even physcically touching. As the prequels show us that is not possible, rather they just need to leap and spin around at ridiculous speeds with lightsabers because that's just cooler. dry.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size