Chefelf.com Night Life: Young Generation Likes Prequels better than OT - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Young Generation Likes Prequels better than OT What's happening to our generation?

#16 User is offline   elvenpianist Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:41 PM

Not THIS member of the younger generation, as anyone who knows me can attest, lol.
innocent.gif
OT is so much better than the PT- the acting is better, the plot is better, the script is better, the music is better... and there's NO gungans.

And hey, Jurrasic Park is awesome...

#17 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

I also like Jurassic Park. I thought that though some of the acting may be a little overdone (hunter dude, main guy with the girl), the guy that played Malcom and the old dude really made up for it. Plus dinosaurs rock.

Edit: Jurassic Park III = gay

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 18 June 2005 - 03:52 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#18 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 02:56 PM

Why do you people think that liking PT makes someone inferior?

I hate such elitist attitude.

#19 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:15 PM

Don't go Vampsmasher on us.

I don't think that liking the PT makes someone inferior. It just makes them have bad taste in movies.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#20 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 June 2005 - 05:20 PM

Taste is subjective. You are entitled to your opinion.

I actually like most films I see, in a way. Those really bad are usually that stupid that are actually funny.

#21 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ Jun 20 2005, 10:15 PM)
Don't go Vampsmasher on us.

I don't think that liking the PT makes someone inferior. It just makes them have bad taste in movies.

I agree with this. I don't have any children of my own but was quite proud that I got my friends son, Sam, into the OT when he was only six years old. He absolutely loves them and almost wore my copies of the OT out. However, when we took him to see Phantom Menace at the cinema, he said that it was boring. He also pointed out that he thought that Anakin was Bens best friend in the OT, which is why he agreed to train him but that in Phantom Menace Obi-Wan didn't seem to like Anakin.

When Clones was released, Sam was 9 years old and we saw it together at the cinema. His comments then was that he loved the gladiator scene and the battle at the end, but that the guy who played Anakin was a terrible actor and you couldn't believe in what he was saying. He also wanted to know how Anakin killing the Tuskens was Obi-Wans fault when Obi-Wan didn't know what he had done.

I received a telephone call from a now 12 year old Sam last weekend to say that he had just been to see ROTS and it was awful. He seemed to dislike most of the film but he especially dislikes the scenes between Padme and Anakin. He felt that it was obvious Palpatine was lying to Anakin but Anakin just wanted to believe him. He wanted to know why Obi-Wan didn't know that Leia was Luke's sister in the OT. There was lots more he had to say but I'm sure you get the general gist.

There is still hope with this generation, all is not lost.

#22 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 21 June 2005 - 03:45 PM

Thank god. Sam's dad must be proud of him.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#23 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 21 June 2005 - 05:50 PM

I think I've mentioned it before but my kids, too find the PT's absolutely boring. They won't sit through them. When I pop in the OT, they'll want to watch it again!!

I draw caricatures as a side job, so I get to meet a lot of different people, and I get to talk to a lot of kids. There was a group of kids who were talking about the prequels and how they went to the midnight showing. I eased into it, and we talked and I asked them how they felt about the OT. There was a lot of reverence! So, of course, I asked them why they liked the PT's... why did they go to a midnight showing when they preferred the OT over them.

It was an event. Nothing more. They liked it because it was a "train wreck" (they're own words). I had a good laugh at that one and feel vindicated. I find many kids are like this. Yeah, it's ancedotal, but I'm sorry, but you gushers will never be vindicated. Star Wars prequels are tainted. It's like Richard Gere's hamster. It's in the public conscience that these films suck, and that's the way it will always be.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#24 User is offline   Harvey Globetrotter Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Apathy.

Posted 22 June 2005 - 08:18 PM

I'm 17 and I think the prequels are a pox on the Star Wars universe. I'd personally divide Star Wars fans into those with an IQ below 80 (prequel fans), and above 80 (OT fans). The only reason to watch and enjoy Star Wars is if you like watching someone eviscerate you; some sort of macabre, masochistic pleasure.

Oh, and I think that the main problem with Hayden Christensen is that he was poorly directed, as he's not a bad actor - go watch Shattered Glass. I've done some acting in my time, and if you have bad material it's very hard to make it sound good. Sure, some of his lines are delivered poorly in addition to the lines sucking, but this is a result of Lucas not saying HOW he wanted it done, it's a result of Lucas' actor relations philosophy alluded to by Harrison Ford ("it's written there, just do it"). And it's fine to deliver a line badly in the film biz - it's why we have this thing called multiple takes. Obviously Lucas was too concerned with masturbating his visual effects on to the film to remember this valuable piece of cinematic information.

#25 User is offline   darthsmash Icon

• New Cop

Posted 26 July 2005 - 11:06 PM

Hello again!

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Jun 18 2005, 12:31 PM)
A lot of people prefer the PT because of the effects - which is fairly lame.
The effects are the last thing you should judge a film on - effects are used to bring about the suspension of disbelief integral to filmmaking, the best effects are the ones you never even see or realise they are effects

People say this a lot about effects but I think it only applies to certain situations. If you are watching a movie and a huge dragon shows up and begins to attack the main character then you know that it is an effect of some kind. The artists have no chance to succeed by these criteria whether they utilise puppets or CGI, no matter how photorealistic. However such commonly employed techniques as digital backgrounds, crowd duplication, removing overly prominent nasal hair in post - these are all going to qualify as "effects you never even see or realise they are effects" by there very nature. Doesn't make them particularly great IMO.

- Whenever I see the sandcrawler or the Executor I think - there is the sandcrawler, there is the Executor... when I see Anakin's fall from the speeder in AOTC I think - well they've got Hayden dangling on wires over a blue screen and they've filled in a computer image to create the image of Anakin falling from a speeder.

Well I think a large part of the problem with effects today is not so much that so many are done with computers but that everyone knows they are done with computers. In days gone by people might see an effect and wonder out loud "How did they do that?". Nowadays a movie watching public who has seen plenty of DVD special features will know it was CGI. Often times even when it wasn't CG. (AOTC and ROTS had more miniature work than any of the OT films for example) The effects often look better but the magic is gone and now everyones a critic.

While say - Batman or Terminator occasionally has problems with outdated effects - the stop-motion animation of the Terminator chassis at the end of the movie and Gotham City issues with the integration of the miniature with the set and gradually the films impact lessens you can still enjoy the movie and the story... TPM's effects are dated now -

This is true. Watched TPM before ROTS and was shocked at how poorly rendered and composited the creatures running through the forest just before the introduction of almighty Jar-Jar were as compared to what we are used to seeing. But when I saw the film in 99 I would have merely sat and stared in wonder or not noticed at all. Watto seems to hold up pretty well however for the most part. The Yoda puppet is still ghastly.

the integrations are poorly done, the images lack the texture of 'real' things but once that goes all thats left is the story and the schmacting.
Eventually very few people will enjoy the prequels as the effects fade in comparison to other movies out there - even on an effects standard Attack of the Clones is no match for The Lord of the Rings... compare Yoda to Gollum - where Yoda has limited facial exp​ressions, obviously artificial response to light and darkness and is badly integrated into the scenery, Gollum looks extraordinarily genuine, particularly under natural light.

Well as to Yodas facial exp​ressions he is a CG recreation of apuppet with very limited facial exp​ressions. The AOTC "Puppets to Pixels" feature made it clear how careful they were to try and make it look "real" whilst not clashing with the rubbery puppet character established in ESB. As to Yoda compared to Gollum I think they are pretty hard to tell apart technically. Yoda looks pretty good for a green dude forced to blend into the vivdly coloured world of AOTC whereas Gollum is a greyish-mottled character existing in a highl desaturated, occasionally almost sepia toned environment. I think the real difference between the two is in the dramatic weight of their respective roles rather than any great technical advance.

#26 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 29 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Perhaps we should be very careful with introducing the young ones to Star Wars... assuming with want to introduce them to Star Wars at all.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#27 User is offline   Dorothy Icon

• We supply it, we demand you eat it.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 01 August 2005 - 11:45 AM

IF there are younglings that enjoy the PT more than the OT, I would say that it is because that is the way GL planned it. I can see him now...surveying his vast SW empire, and thinking to himself that maybe his fanbase isn't having kids fast enough to keep him in his golden pantsies or whatever extravagant thing he may be into...so he comes up with this plan...make Annie a kid...like 8 or something, so that a new generation of fans will identify with him. But that kinda backfired, or maybe it didn't, so he made Annie a teen in the next one, because his desired new fanbase should be just coming upon teendom at the time of the release...and then he makes the third movie PG-13, just in time for that to be dark enough for his desired fanbase's new "teen sensibilities." It's a story as old as time...toss out the old fans to get the new. Sad, sad, sad. But that's just my two-cents.

This post has been edited by Dorothy: 01 August 2005 - 11:47 AM

"The problem is, you're not a kangaroo... that's a bear... and he's in your pants."
"Maybe artists shouldn't talk about their art."
"Well kids, I guess your father isn't a hermaphrodite."
"Izzy! enough with the rabid smootching!!"

#28 User is offline   thehitman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 05 August 2005 - 12:42 PM

The only rational person over 8 who would prefer the PT over the OT is someone who hasn't seen the OT.

Anyone else has no idea what is good and what is not.

#29 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

I'm going to have 13 in November 4 and I prefer the old ones than the new ones

#30 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 September 2005 - 08:19 PM

EDIT- I can't be bothered with this anymore, not even when i'm bored. As you were.

This post has been edited by jariten: 05 September 2005 - 08:21 PM

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size