Chefelf.com Night Life: Stormtroopers precision blasts? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Stormtroopers precision blasts?

#1 User is offline   oldpink Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 11 June 2005 - 10:45 AM

OK I'm new here, so forgive me if this one has been discussed before.

When Luke thinks the sand people destroyed the jawas transport, Ben tells him,
no, the blasts are too precise for sand people and that only Imperial Stormtroopers could have done this. Well, my question is this:

If stormtroopers are so precise in their marksmanship, then why is it that for the remainder of ep 4-5-6 only once does a stormtroopers blast actually harm some one they were shooting at. I am thinking of ROJ, Leia. I guess you could argue that 3po was shot in ESB, but that was at point blank so it doesn't count.

Anyone agree with this assessment?

#2 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:15 PM

The Official UK Star Wars Magazine has said that what Obi-Wan meant was that the Stormtroopers had aimed for the treads of the sandcrawler (causing it to stop moving and making it a "sitting duck"), wheras the Sand People would have just hit it anywhere.

The Stormtrooper's skills at being the worst shots in the galaxy are almost legendary among fans. It's been done to death, but there's no way you can hide that they simply never hit any main character, even at point-blank range. It looks as though they were trained by Greedo. It also brings up the question as to why the clone troopers are actually pretty good shots, when after 18 years or so, they're crap...

#3 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2005 - 04:45 PM

Gusher explanation: An unforseen side-effect to the cloning process is that their eyes deteriorate over time, thus eventually making them bad shots some 18 years later. biggrin.gif

#4 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:14 PM

It's only just occured to me how dumb Lucas was by making the stormtroopers clones. I don't think ANYONE even considered that the clones in the Clone Wars were going to be stormtroopers. It was kind of surprising (one of only a few in the prequels), but it's a dumb idea. I can't believe that the clones were so loyal to Palpatine that they would turn on the entire galaxy without even considering the outcomes.

One thing I am glad about is that Lucas didn't dub the voice of Jango Fett over all the stormtroopers in the trilogy DVDs... if he had then it would have been too much.

#5 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 11 June 2005 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (Bohrok Awakener @ Jun 11 2005, 06:14 PM)
One thing I am glad about is that Lucas didn't dub the voice of Jango Fett over all the stormtroopers in the trilogy DVDs... if he had then it would have been too much.

But he dubbed Boba's dialogue with Jango's voice. And I really hate that. :angry:
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#6 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 07:44 PM

I was under the impression that the Clone Troopers were the forerunners of the storm troopers. By the time ANH begins, the storm troopers are comprised mostly of recruits with some rapidly aging clones among their ranks.

AOTC states that the clones are made to age quickly and that they are genetically engineered to be 100% loyal. I don't see anything wrong with making them fanatically obedient to the Supreme Chancellor of the Republic; it would also seem logical to conclude that their accelerated aging makes them poor candidates for long-term defense of the Empire, meaning that they would have to be replaced by recruits at some point. Hence, the fact that their voices aren't all the same.

This would also explain the fact that storm troopers aren't good shots...but does that really have to be explained? This is Star Wars!

(Yeah, yeah, I know...Why doesn't the Empire make more clones, then?! Maybe cloning technology is mostly lost after the wars. This is all probably explained in some EU product)

#7 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:23 AM

Lucas says the reason all the stormtroopers sound different in the OT is because, by that time, the Kaminoans (who were still producing clones) had begun to use different sources (after all, Jango was dead, they couldn't go on using him).

#8 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 12 June 2005 - 02:58 PM

QUOTE (oldpink @ Jun 11 2005, 11:45 AM)

no, the blasts are too precise for sand people and that only Imperial Stormtroopers could have done this.  Well, my question is this: 

If stormtroopers are so precise in their marksmanship, then why is it that for the remainder of ep 4-5-6 only once does a stormtroopers blast actually harm some one they were shooting at.  I am thinking of ROJ, Leia.  I guess you could argue that 3po was shot in ESB, but that was at point blank so it doesn't count.

You know, I always thought the same thing.

#9 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (oldpink @ Jun 11 2005, 08:45 AM)

no, the blasts are too precise for sand people and that only Imperial Stormtroopers could have done this.  Well, my question is this: 

If stormtroopers are so precise in their marksmanship, then why is it that for the remainder of ep 4-5-6 only once does a stormtroopers blast actually harm some one they were shooting at.  I am thinking of ROJ, Leia.  I guess you could argue that 3po was shot in ESB, but that was at point blank so it doesn't count.

It's just that stormtroopers are more precise than Sandpeople, not that they are any good in general. tongue.gif

#10 User is offline   Rory Icon

• Supreme Master of all Lance & Eskimo and Chefelf Forums EVER
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Well, I enjoy a fine bottle of scotch sometimes. I am also interested in women. I'm not a homosexual, if that is what you are implying. <br><br>I also enjoy skateboarding, riding the cerf, killing bugbears, and Stratego. <br><br>I am a devote Catholic (in case you couldn't tell! lol). <br><br>Other than that, I am just a normal guy. I believe Nixon got it right the first time, that we should live in a society with an elaborate caste system, and that the only thing better than looking like a million bucks is Being a million bucks... Literally!

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:19 AM

The D20 version of the Star Wars Roleplaying Game has an excellent reason for why stormtroopers never hit the heroes in Star Wars. All the heroes are really high level and thus have tons of vitality points! Vitality points are these lovely little things that replace hit points with a sort of cinematic luck pool that gets depleted as you are shot at or attacked succesfully. The stormtroopers are quite competant; it just so happens that they don't stand a chance against the vast amount of luck and coincidence that has pooled around the main characters. So every stormtrooper that shoots at Luke, Han, Leia, Chewbaca, or one of those pesky droids has one of the worst shots of his life. If only he were shooting at some shmuck with nothing going for him, and little screen time! Like those rebel troopers from A New Hope. They just get massacred!

I prefer to think of the stormtroopers as not being clones, personally. It seems kind of weird that they would all be clones, but the rest of the imperial forces wouldn't. For example, what about Imperial Tie Fighter pilots? I know they can't be clones, because I played Tie Fighter, the computer game, and furthermore, I read the little backstory book that came with it. And what about all that fiction that may or may not be canon that talks about the awesome and strict stormtrooper academies?!

#11 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

And the answer is.........

BUM BUM BUM

They don't hit the main characters because they're the main characters. No one wants to go halfway through Star Wars only to see Luke get shot and die as he's escaping the death star.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#12 User is offline   Hari Seldon Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:18 PM

QUOTE (Veer @ Jun 12 2005, 08:35 PM)
It's just that stormtroopers are more precise than Sandpeople, not that they are any good in general.  tongue.gif

My guess is that Sandpeople tend to hit their own feet a lot! biggrin.gif
"I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don't have to waste your time in either attacking or defending."

Isaac Asimov

#13 User is offline   EwokHunter Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

Well, actually the stormtroopers are better than droids or tusken raiders(Sand People) dry.gif

#14 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 11:50 PM

The stormtroopers were very effective in the opening sequence but when goons go up against heroes they always suck... except if they one-on-one a hero, in which case they give the hero a great deal of trouble, but if twenty stormtroopers try and bring down one Han Solo standing outside his ship they make a good lightshow but do no damage.

Stormtroopers should actually be damned impressive - the helmet apparatus should give them heightened senses and allow them to function even in smoke or gas, the utility equipment they seem to be crammed with (Luke's grappling hook, for starters) should allow them a number of handy moves, their armour shouldn't be 'shot in calf=death' and those hefty packs the field troopers have in SW should conceal any number of effective weapons.

#15 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

I always wondered why the stormtroopers used armor if even a freakin' ROCK can kill them.

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 18 June 2005 - 01:36 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size