Chefelf.com Night Life: Not if anything to say about it, I have! - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Not if anything to say about it, I have!

#1 User is offline   Be The Reds! Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

Does it bother any of you that in the PT Yoda's grammar problems fade in and out
and when it's messed up it sounds stupid?

In ESB for example,

"Help you I can."
"Told you I did, reckless is he."
"Luminous beings are we."
"In, you must go!"
"Powerful Jedi was he."
"Judge me by my size do you?"

Basically, short, concise sentences only.

Then in the PT

We have such gems like
"Around the survivors a perimiter create!"
"Not if anything to say about it, I have"
"How feel you?"

It just sounds weird. It's like, when the object isn't a person, he's supposed to speak normally.

Evidence from ESB:
"A Jedi's strength flows from the force" The subject is the Jedi and the object is the force. Thus requiring no effed up grammar.

"Yes, to Obiwan you listen!" or fixed up: "Yes, (you) listen to Obiwan!"

Here the subject is you and the object is Obiwan, a person.

So let's fix the offending quotes: If we absoultly have to have effed up Yoda grammar then we can change how he delivers the line without changing the meaning.

"Around the survivors a perimiter create!" - Actually I'm not sure Yoda should be barking orders to clone troopers at all, but what the hell. (and by the way, survivors isn't the object of the sentence, perimiter is. Survivors is the compliment) "Protect the survivors we must. Rescue the Jedi we shall!"
"Not if anything to say about it, I have" - "Wrong, you are! Stop you I shall."
"How feel you?" Yoda can sense how people feel so he should not be asking this dumb question. "How do you feel? Afraid are you?"

I'm sure that there may be other times when Yoda's speech is all reversed when people are not the objects, even in ESB but you have to admit that the speech in the PT just sounds silly.

#2 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 05 July 2005 - 10:12 PM

noble cause, yess?
beyond improvement. Always it shall be.

#3 User is offline   Harvey Globetrotter Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Apathy.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 02:50 AM

Yeah, it's ironic that, of all the recent Star Wars jank, it's only A Lost Hope that has Yoda speak correct Yodaspeak; "Warn you we tried. Listen, you did not. Now screwed we all will be."

#4 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony & sarcasm

Posted 06 July 2005 - 04:39 AM

Yoda, like R2D2, has been turned into a spoof of himself in the prequels, which is near the top of my own personal Reasons to Hate the PT list.

Although I admit I did like the way he dealt with the two imperial guards.

#5 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 07:02 AM

QUOTE (Be The Reds! @ Jul 5 2005, 10:02 PM)
"Not if anything to say about it, I have"
"How feel you"

i'd like to adress these in no particular order...

"How feel you?"

not so far from ye olde "what say you?" which is fine... nice and short... i can handle that...

When i saw heard this in the cinema, i was IN ALL HONESTY expecting the troops to drop their guard and turn back to yoda in shear and utter confusion... shrugging their shoulders and looking at each other...

no, really... it seemed like an obvious choice for the direction the scene should go from there...

"Not if anything to say about that, I have"

WTF?!?

like WTF?!?

even my gusher friend i went with shrugged and shook his head and said WTF?!?

like seriously!!!!

I just don't get it...

#6 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:04 AM

Like when on Family Feud, Richard Dawson asked the following

"something to which you may lose a Key?"

during the speed round. both times, confused contestants forced them to stop the clock.

now screwed we all are.

#7 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 06 July 2005 - 10:49 AM

As Ruthless Reviews puts it regarding Yodas speech patterns: Backwards speaks every sentence, Yoda does. Poorly written thinks I do. To no end, find it annoying, redundant.

"Around the survivors a perimeter create" - Yoda has joined the US Marines.

"At an end your rule is and not short enough it was, I must say" - apparently Yoda wanted the audience to suffocate with irony because Palpatine was about to rule the galaxy for over 20 years.

#8 User is offline   Be The Reds! Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jul 7 2005, 12:04 AM)
Like when on Family Feud, Richard Dawson asked the following

"something to which you may lose a Key?"

The KEYSNATCHER! I've lost plenty of keys to him! That bastage!

#9 User is offline   Be The Reds! Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 July 2005 - 12:37 AM

QUOTE (barend @ Jul 6 2005, 09:02 PM)
i'd like to adress these in no particular order...

"How feel you?"

not so far from ye olde "what say you?" which is fine... nice and short... i can handle that...

Right, but Yoda doesn't speak midieval English, he speaks modern English with VOSVc or OSV grammar structure.

The question is

How do you feel? There isn't an object in the sentence.

#10 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 01:06 AM

Let's just admit it with a sigh, somehow a dyslexic slightly brain damaged creature became all powerful - reminds me of someone in the White House ...

#11 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:22 AM

George Bush isn't the only one with a problem with speaking. Dan Quayle also had some hilarious quotes attributed to him.

Kinda serves as a warning to watch what you say, eh? biggrin.gif

Honestly, Yoda's English was always screwed up to some degree, with an exception of ESB, when he spoke nearly perfect English throughout the movie. In ROTJ, when his backtalking really got serious, one could say that he was dying and it was some stuff going on in his mind. But in the PT, it just isn't excusable at all!

#12 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 07 July 2005 - 07:33 AM

Has anyone but me ever wondered why his English (or Basic, whatever) is screwed up like that? You'd have thought he'd have picked up the correct speech patterns after 900 years, even if it isn't his first language. Is it a trait of his species that for some reason they have no problems with vocabulary and most aspects of grammar, but can't manage to structure sentences correctly?

To make it even more confusing, there's another Yoda-like Jedi Master in KotOR, and his speech is completely normal. wacko.gif I can only think of one vaguely sensible explanation: the language has changed so much since Yoda first learned it that he simply couldn't keep up. Given how much English has changed over 900 years, that would make some sense (though it doesn't explain why he still has no problem with vocabulary.)
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#13 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 07 July 2005 - 08:16 AM

After 900 years life probably gets pretty boring, you'd have to do something to keep yourself occupied. And confusing the fcuk out of everyone with his speech patterns seems to be what the Yodester has plumped for.

#14 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:08 PM

I think you're right. It's as if Yoda is thinking, "Fuck this, I'll piss my remaining years away messing with peoples minds" How much fun he must have in the supermarket.

"The peas of green I shall have, yes, yes"
"Around the chicken a paper wrapping create"

#15 User is offline   Darth Player Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 07 July 2005 - 06:09 PM

"To Ron Jeremy measure up to, you do not...."

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size