Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

20,000 credits

#1 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:58 PM

In TPM, Qui-gon tells Watto that he has 20,000 credits for a new hyperdrive or whatever when they arrive on Tattooine. Even Watto suggests that the price to repair the hyperdrive may outweigh the price of a new ship.

Now, if memory serves me correctly, in the OT doesn't Ben secure transport with Han Solo for 17,000 credits to Alderaan from the same planet? I think he only had 7,000 up front even.

My question is this, if Ben could pull this off all these years after the PT, why couldn't Qui-gon, or whoever else, pull it off years before the OT with 20,000 credits? I know there's more people to transport, but my God, is it absolutely important that everyone is transported at this time? Just take the Queen, Qui-gon, Ben, maybe a couple more?

Lucass....idiot.

#2 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

I agree. There were a thousand ways of getting off tatooine. and welcome to chefelf.com yur a kool kid.

This Post gave me 100!!!!!!!!!!!!

This post has been edited by Revan-47: 27 June 2005 - 10:43 PM

"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#3 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

Qui-Gon states that he has 20,000 REPUBLIC credits.

Maybe after the fall of the Republic, the currency became "credits" and the exchange rate changed.

Maybe.

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:05 AM

som'pin changed, I hope we can agree on that.

#5 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:32 PM

I thought Obi paid Han with the money Luke got from selling his speeder?

#6 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 28 June 2005 - 09:03 PM

yeah... which was the 7000.

obi was a penniless hippy.

#7 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:39 AM

so then what is the point of this thread?

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:48 AM

i don't know... why are you asking me?
blink.gif

but i think the original point was that 7,000 credits was enough to get off Tatooine 20 years after a ditributor cap cost 20,000.

economy seems to work backwards there...

#9 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 29 June 2005 - 10:06 PM

but Qui only has Republic credits, useless on Tatooine...

#10 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Post icon  Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:08 AM

The point is : Lucas is an idiot !

geez' don't you guys read the posts anymore?
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#11 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:35 AM

Sorry I don't see how any of this makes Lucas an idiot. The value of credits could have changed over the years, Or since Hans planning on paying Jabba back with them, there's a good chance he'd prefer a universal currency over the local Tatooine funny money.

*Que for a basher to point out that Jabba's on Tatooine as well*

Yes, but if his empire extends off planet of if he's bringing goods in then he'll need foreign currency, and it's likely bounty hunters only accept universal currency as well.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

if anything this all suggests that people who live on tatooine have no desire to leave it...

why would republic credits be no good on tatooine? sureley if there are more than one type of credit, there would be need for all types of credit as people would need republic credits if they were intending to travel within the confines of republic space.

i'm sure there arebanks on tatooine.

if someone asked me for a service i provided and said; "i have USD$20000" i'm pretty sure i'd say: "ah... well there's amex counter at the westpac bank on the corner of martin plc. and phillip street. You can have it exchanged there for a small fee of AUD$7.50, which they'll take out of the money you get back. Or if that's too much hassle, we'll just go to my desk and i'll see what the exchange rate is on www.xe.com and charge you an additional AUD$20.00 for my trouble as it's just down the road."

what watto should have said was: "yeah, rebublic credits are fine, but just to make your life more interesting we'll involve my slave in a race for some reason instead..."

#13 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:03 AM

You're forgetting that GALACTIC EMPIRE credits are far less valuable than OLD REPUBLIC credits. wink.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#14 User is offline   superrepus Icon

• New Cop

Posted 30 June 2005 - 09:58 AM

Even though, yes there were countless, less dangerous, ways to get off Tattooine, Qui-gon mentions the 20k republic credits. You would think that they could of found someone (since this spaceport is crawling with pilots, smugglers, etc) on Tattooine to transport them off the planet for 20,000 of ANYTHING.

I've always said that it would take a genius to fuck up Star Wars, Lucass is this genius.

#15 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 02:19 PM

It's been a long time since I've seen TPM, but I seem to recall that after meeting Anakin, Qui-Gon's objective was *also* to free Anakin, not just to get off the planet. He wasn't interested in other ways of getting away from Tatooine, because he felt the child was important enough to spend time rescuing.

Also, in ANH, isn't it that 7,000 is only a *down payment* on the money for transportation? Aren't they going to pay Han alot more when they get to Alderaan?

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size