• (2 Pages)
  • +

C3P0 - Deity to the ewoks HUH?

#1 User is offline   GreviousMAKESmeSAD Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:43 AM

Do the storm troopers on endor not have any droids at all?? It seems like everyone owns a droid in the movie, so I would have to think the ewoks have seen droids before, knowing that the empire is taking over their planet.

As long as were on this topic, does anyone think that C3P0's story that he tells the ewoks is hilarious????

-Nutch Vader.... Master Luke had jiminy to doooooooooooo.

Anyone?? Anyone???

#2 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 11:20 AM

Why would the Stormtroopers necessarily have droids? What makes you think they would have them with them? Do the armed forces take their pets out the front line?

The Ewoks accepting Threepio as a god is something I've never really liked. Why couldn't Threepio just tell them that he WASN'T a god? He seems capable of talking to them, and he says that he's not supposed to impersonate a diety. Yet he does. Still, I suppose it was okay...

I agree that Threepio's story to the Ewoks was funny. Artoo adding the sound effects made all the difference.

Threepio: Yes Artoo I was just coming to that... Terosh Abosh!
Artoo: *AT-AT noises.*

That was a seriously shortened version of the story, but it was funny. I'm glad that Lucas didn't change the story to include the prequels in the Special Edition.

#3 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:23 PM

It is hilarious that 3-PO tells the story since he clearly tells Luke hes not much of a storyteller in ANH...Just goes to show by ROTJ Lucas didn't give two shits about continuity....Though I do admit those sound effects he made were cool blushing.gif

I always felt 3-PO being an ewok "god" was played for cheap laughs....

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 08 June 2005 - 12:24 PM

#4 User is offline   i don't like sand Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Jun 8 2005, 11:23 AM)
It is hilarious that 3-PO tells the story since he clearly tells Luke hes not much of a storyteller in ANH...Just goes to show by ROTJ Lucas didn't give two shits about continuity....Though I do admit those sound effects he made were cool blushing.gif
I always felt 3-PO being an ewok "god" was played for cheap laughs....

I don't think it was a continuity error. It may have been an intentional reference to the line from ANH, showing that C3PO had been very humble about his abilities, or that he had progressed as a storyteller from all the adventures he had throughout the trilogy.

#5 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

I had the feeling that Storm troopers and ewoks never really met. Or if they did, there weren't any surving storm troopers to tell the tale. devil.gif

#6 User is offline   GreviousMAKESmeSAD Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:49 PM

QUOTE (Veer @ Jun 8 2005, 04:06 PM)
I had the feeling that Storm troopers and ewoks never really met. Or if they did, there weren't any surving storm troopers to tell the tale.  devil.gif

Hahaha. I figured the ewoks had at least known about the imperial army because they knew where the base was kept. Also, it seems like Wicket knew what he was smelling when the troopers were in the woods shooting at he and Leia.

#7 User is offline   Vwing Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 07:43 PM

QUOTE (Michel Orla @ Jun 8 2005, 12:23 PM)

Um that's actually one of my favorite scenes of the movie. For all the efforts the Ewoks made to be cute, this is one of the only scenes that succeeded in being endearing.

Continuity? This is the evolution of a character. This is what makes the difference between ROTJ and the prequels. This is something that built upon a simple line in ANH to show 3P0's progression throughout the trilogy, just as all the characters progressed. Through his experiences, he became this storyteller, despite not being much of one when he met Luke. It's this great attention to detail in ROTJ that is what makes it so great. The fact that you view it as a continuity error is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard. I can accept you don't like ROTJ, but don't go around so confidently and condescendingly criticizing it and Lucas for things they should actually be lauded for that you just didn't get.

As for the deity thing, Ewoks may have seen stormtroopers and AT-STs and everything before, but these are ugly monstrosities. C-3P0 is a humanoid, golden statue-like figure the likes of which the Ewoks had never seen before. And again, this whole subplot is part of 3P0's evolution. Goes against his program, tries to play the God to help his friends (after all, if he hadn't played God things would not have gone too well), and even serves as a distraction risking his own life in something he never would have done. "I never thought I had it in me" summarizes his experiences through ROTJ, and I think it's a great little throwaway subplot that again fleshes out the movie so much and makes you realize just how good it is.

#8 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:44 PM

Just goes to show by ROTJ Lucas didn't give two shits about continuity

I thik C-3PO was having a nice big slice of Humble Pie.

#9 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:04 AM

QUOTE (Vwing @ Jun 8 2005, 07:43 PM)
Um that's actually one of my favorite scenes of the movie.  For all the efforts the Ewoks made to be cute, this is one of the only scenes that succeeded in being endearing. 

Continuity?  This is the evolution of a character.  This is what makes the difference between ROTJ and the prequels.  This is something that built upon a simple line in ANH to show 3P0's progression throughout the trilogy, just as all the characters progressed.  Through his experiences, he became this storyteller, despite not being much of one when he met Luke.  It's this great attention to detail in ROTJ that is what makes it so great.  The fact that you view it as a continuity error is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.  I can accept you don't like ROTJ, but don't go around so confidently and condescendingly criticizing it and Lucas for things they should actually be lauded for that you just didn't get.   

As for the deity thing, Ewoks may have seen stormtroopers and AT-STs and everything before, but these are ugly monstrosities.  C-3P0 is a humanoid, golden statue-like figure the likes of which the Ewoks had never seen before.  And again, this whole subplot is part of 3P0's evolution.  Goes against his program, tries to play the God to help his friends (after all, if he hadn't played God things would not have gone too well), and even serves as a distraction risking his own life in something he never would have done.  "I never thought I had it in me" summarizes his experiences through ROTJ, and I think it's a great little throwaway subplot that again fleshes out the movie so much and makes you realize just how good it is.

blushing.gif Perhaps you are right. I didn't mean to come across as so harsh. I wish they would have made a reference to the fact he DOES learn to tell stories after the events of ANH and ESB. Just to address the fact he says he doesn't in ANH. That's just what I wanted though. No biggie. Or maybe like i don't like sand was saying, 3-P0 was just being humble when he told Luke he doesn't....but thats not likely since he seems to like to talk about himself alot wink.gif And I found that scene was played for laughs, but unlike the battle scenes it was at an ok time. Han trying to blow out the torch was funny.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 June 2005 - 07:22 PM

i always considered it a character progression thing, but it always made me laugh in disgust...

luke sykwalker
farm boy whisked into outerspace and becomes a knight of an ancient order. destroys the the death star, darth vader, and the emporer.

han solo
space scoundrel smuggler who falls in love with a princess and becomes a general in the rebellion against the opressive evil galactic empire

Lando-Calrision
proprieter of cloudcity, gets pushed around by the empire to the point of betraying an old friend and pushes back blowing up the death star m2.

C3-P0
protocol droid, get's a bit better at telling stories...

feel good triumph over adversity story of the century dry.gif

#11 User is offline   GreviousMAKESmeSAD Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:40 PM

Hah. Nicely done barend. By the way, Bender does rule.

#12 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 10 June 2005 - 01:44 PM

Golden bender looks like 3PO.

The resemblance is amazing!

QUOTE (Bohrok Awakener @ Jun 8 2005, 11:20 AM)
That was a seriously shortened version of the story, but it was funny. I'm glad that Lucas didn't change the story to include the prequels in the Special Edition.

Now you've just jinxed us all...

QUOTE (Vwing @ Jun 8 2005, 07:43 PM)
As for the deity thing, Ewoks may have seen stormtroopers and AT-STs and everything before, but these are ugly monstrosities.  C-3P0 is a humanoid, golden statue-like figure the likes of which the Ewoks had never seen before.  And again, this whole subplot is part of 3P0's evolution.  Goes against his program, tries to play the God to help his friends (after all, if he hadn't played God things would not have gone too well), and even serves as a distraction risking his own life in something he never would have done.  "I never thought I had it in me" summarizes his experiences through ROTJ, and I think it's a great little throwaway subplot that again fleshes out the movie so much and makes you realize just how good it is.

I think you're going a little bit overboard with this. I think that 3PO was just in over his head wherever he went.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#13 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:12 AM

I agree that Threepio's story to the Ewoks was funny

I agree with that. I thats probably the only useful thing hes done in the whole saga.

#14 User is offline   Kelethor Icon

• New Cop

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:44 PM

Thats funny, I found the story stupid and pointless.

Of corse the Ewoks have never been off planet, so to them this story must be a big preety darn confusing

#15 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 02:08 PM

Not more confusing than having big elephant things show up and start blasting shit.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size