Page 1 of 1

Best Scene in ESB

#1 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:02 AM

My vote would go for the following scene:

1. Luke enters the carbon freeze chamber through some little elevator and has the grate slam shut after he steps off implying that he is trapped. There is no turning back now.

2. Everything is quiet and dark. Suddenly everything lights up in the chamber and we hear Vader's breathing.

3. Luke turns around and observes Vader standing at the top of the stairs.

It's the perfect atmosphere for the best lightsaber battle in the Star Wars saga.

This post has been edited by Storm: 08 June 2005 - 12:13 AM

#2 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:28 AM

"The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet" I have to agree. But to narrow it down to one great scene is way too hard

1)"Apology accepted Captain Needa" Now we see exactly how driven Vader is to find Luke
2)"I love you" "I know" Dont even need to explain this one
3)Yoda raises Luke's X-Wing out of the swamp "I don't believe it" "That is why you fail"
4)Ignoring ROTJ's revelation, the whole scene where Leia kisses Luke to make a point to Han. The look Han gives Chewie (presumably for burning Han) is priceless
5)"Dont worry, we don't have time for anything else" *Cue evil grin* That's the self assured Han I like! Not the sniveling baby in ROTJ

And of course it has the best ending of the six movies IMO. I know it was only suppose to be one, but that's impossible with this movie

#3 User is offline   i don't like sand Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:55 AM

- For some reason, I always loved the scene where Luke, in complete despair and anguish, calls out to Leia using the force. It's such a beautifully shot scene.
- Darth Vader beating Luke up with some simple telekinesis.
- Yoda and Obi Wan trying to convince Luke not to go after Han and Leia.
- "I've just made a deal with the Empire that will keep them out of this place forever" *door opens*

#4 User is offline   Harvey Globetrotter Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Apathy.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:18 AM

I like the scene that starts with the title, theme music, and opening crawl and ends with Luke, Leia and the droids looking out the window of the medical frigate as Lando and Chewie go to save Han. Oh wait, that's the entire movie. Must be because every scene in the movie is flawless. And you know why? George Lucas didn't write or direct it!

#5 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:04 AM

Best scene in ESB? (this would be easier to do if there Mario wasn't sodomising the princess in the corner of my eye - curse whoever made that picture)
Imperial March plays as we see the shadow fall on the Star Destroyer and then the Executor is unveiled.
Luke and the dark side cave - a very well executed foreshadowing and a strong scene in its own right.
Vader adressing the Emperor (before the DVDs)
"I am your father."
"I know."
The retreat from the Hoth trenches.

#6 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 08:55 PM

Readers Digest Version:

"Rebel Transport approaching, sir."
"Good, our first catch of the day!"
"Ion Control stand by - fire!"
Boom, Star Destroyer goes down.
"First Transport is away, the first transport is away."
Hoorah!

Love that scene.

#7 User is offline   Kelethor Icon

• New Cop

Posted 12 June 2005 - 10:52 PM

I always liked the fighting in cloud city, seeing Leia try to warn Luke about the trap.

Il also admit that boba fett was preety cool in this movie, he was cool as a bounty hunter without getting some lame backstory how he is a clone. He lost all coolness whena blind man acidently killed him in ROTJ.

#8 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:02 AM

Every time I see Luke fall through the trap door onto that aerial thingy below Cloud City, I'm always convinced that he's not going to be able to hold on.

I'm very fond of Yoda cracking Artoo over the head with a stick.

Also see my signature for my favourite bit of Han/Leia banter.

#9 User is offline   Thracozaag Icon

• New Cop

Posted 16 June 2005 - 10:16 AM

"The force is with you young Skywalker....but you are not a Jedi yet."

When he swoops down like some giant, inky bat upon Luke is pretty cool too.

Hell, that whole Cloud City duel rules.

koji

#10 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:47 PM

Anything with Vader.

His opening line in the freezing chamber, his leap, his demonstration of "Dark Side may not be stronger than the light side, but I'm stronger than you" with his telekinetic assault, his rapid breathing as he lashes out in the third act of the duel, "I am your father.", "Bring my shuttle", killing Admiral Ozzel, his address to the Emperor, his chamber, leading the charge into Hoth, him standing alone and angry on the bridge of the Executor at the end with his arms behind his back, "I am altering the deal." and so forth.

Empire Strikes Back was Vader's favourite movie - in AOTC he was a shadow on a wall cast by Anakin's hair, in ROTS he was Frankenstein's monster, in SW he was a menacing and effective henchman with a mysterious past, in ESB he was a monumental force of sheer darkness and in ROTJ he was the Emperor's gloomy old lackey.

#11 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 17 June 2005 - 09:49 PM

You know, I agree with that completely and have felt that for some time. In ESB, he was just pure menace, truly chilling and scary. But in Star Wars, he was Darth Vader Lite, and in ROTJ he was over the hill.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size