Chefelf.com Night Life: an 'unsolved mysteries' bulletin - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

an 'unsolved mysteries' bulletin who the F*ck is syfo dias?

#31 User is offline   Shrike Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 15 July 2005 - 08:55 PM

QUOTE (Squeegie @ Jul 13 2005, 05:28 PM)
Heres the deal with Syfo Dias

Take at the "fo" in Syfo and you have

Sy'dias

its definatly sidious

tongue.gif

What is this Syfo Dias is Sidious stuff? wacko.gif It makes no sense at all. Episode II stated that Syfo Dias had been head of the Jedi council. Are we suddenly to believe that Syfo Dias ordered up the clone army, faked his own death, showed up within months as the senator from Naboo, and orchestrated his election as chancellor? Of course, all of this happened without anyone on the Jedi council asking "Hey, isn't that my old boss?".

#32 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 16 July 2005 - 09:39 AM

Why, it's god Lucas rewarding all of his patient fans, of course.

although he remembered somebody once telling him: keep them wanting more.

#33 User is offline   greedo Icon

• New Cop

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 7 2005, 08:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
exactly...

lucas' writing ability must seriously be called into question if one must rely on a 3season cartoon and various novels to understand the circumstance of his films...

that's fucking poor...

hope lucas starts working on another movie on dias, this plaguei, qui gon and dooku before i go mad and fall into despair trying to unearth this mystery... much of true story would be lost in vain assumptions and hypothesis

#34 User is offline   georgelucas4greedo Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 September 2006 - 10:40 AM

IMHO, Lucas made the PT way too complex to the point that its not logical. I couldnt tell you any of the details fleshed out in Episode II and III and I don't consider myself a moron. Then again, the movie was totally uninteresting to me and that is probably why I did not follow it. Anyway, the OT was so simple, yet at times so profound.
It seems like everyone is over the nitpicking. Too bad.

#35 User is offline   miladyblue Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:24 PM

I couldnt tell you any of the details fleshed out in Episode II and III and I don't consider myself a moron.

Of COURSE you're not a moron. I would be willing to bet even GL couldn't follow whatever it was that passed for plot in ANY of the PT. Hence, the back pedaling and B.S. we get every time he makes some announcement or other to fans. I think the greatest mystery here might just be:

WHAT THE FUCK WAS GL SMOKING WHEN HE CAME UP WITH THIS PREQUEL CRAP?

I just bought the original theatrical release of ANH and it is just such a relief!

Not once in ANH:

1. Did I check my watch, wondering when so and so was going to get off the screen because I wanted to launch a brick at my TV to shut them up.
2. Ultra Cutesy action figure fodder (Ewoks)
3. Offensive racial stereotype run amok (JarJar, Trade Federation aliens)
4. Did the solitary woman in the story change her clothes every other second.
5. The solitary female character is not swooning over a whiny psychopath.
6. Sickening dialogue or vomit-inducing romantic scenes.
7. Overblown special effects that took me out of the movie, instead of taking me deeper into the world onscreen.
8. Overly technical explanations for things that did not need it - Obi Wan's description of the Force trumps those fucking Midi-Chlorians ANY time. By the way, was GL doing his laundry with chlorine bleach while listening to a MIDI of the Star Wars theme? I think his being overcome by bleach fumes would explain a LOT.

In addition ANH had:

1. A straightforward story of Good VS. Evil that had me cheering!
2. Eye candy for female fans that did not make me want to take out a shotgun.
3. A character whose motivations were not clear. A touch of mystery that did not need to be over explained into tedium.
4. A strong female leader who did not come off as a short man with tits.
5. A palpable sense of menace from the villains - Governor Tarkin and Darth Vader did not have to resort to stupid movie cliches (maniacal laughter, weird tics, etc.) to give them an air of danger.
6. A sense of desperation from the heroes - the Death Star battle was actually a challenge.
7. Against all odds, the good guys triumph, thanks to determination, courage and sacrifice.
8. Humor that fit the situation and/or character, without feeling like someone was forcing the situation to fit the humor.
9. A subtle flirtation between two characters that never once felt forced. Or induced nausea.
10. The definitive description of The Force. This gave an air of mysticism and wonder that carried powerfully throughout the movie. Even Han Solo's rather jarring "simple tricks and nonsense" bit gave contrast between the mystical Jedi and the "real world" of the rest of the galaxy.
11. Characters with genuine quirks that endeared rather than grated:
A. Leia inspired, rather than irritated, even at her most bossy.
B. Luke was meant to be the hero, but he was wet behind the ears without being sickening.
C. Han's motivations changed, marking genuine growth and character development.
D. Chewie was along for the ride, but he did provide a moral compass for Han.
E. Governor Tarkin casually ordered the destruction of an entire planet. A real threat.
F. Darth Vader was palpably menacing, and did not need to act like a psycho to pull it off.
G. R2D2 was true to his programming, going above and beyond the call of duty for a droid.
H. Obi Wan was the wise, mysterious mentor. Though old, he could STILL kick ass!

#36 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:10 PM

Thanks for clearing up the Sifo Dyas/Sidious mystery.

Something else that I am still not clear about is regarding TPM.

In it, we see Senator Palpatine,..but we also see him as a holographic apparition as a Sith?,..or is this someone else?

Anyone care to clarify?...sorry,.TPM isnt one of my favorite episodes.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#37 User is offline   Sailor Abbey Icon

• Queen of the Harpies
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Defending the forces of evil from the whiney forces of good; spreading awareness about violence and its ability to solve all problems - from the very smallest to the very stupid…est…; sticking up for the little guy, as long as the little guy shares my point of view or is willing to convert in exchange for some ‘sticking up for’; and of course, plotting world domination and putting and end to reality tv once and for all. <br /><br />Oh, and beautiful women.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 09:10 AM

QUOTE (mireaux7 @ Sep 30 2006, 12:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In it, we see Senator Palpatine,..but we also see him as a holographic apparition as a Sith?,..or is this someone else?

Seriously?

#38 User is offline   mireaux7 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:art, tennis, films...esp foreign films-those are some of the best ones ive seen, video games, reading, travel.

Posted 01 October 2006 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (Sailor Abbey @ Oct 1 2006, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Seriously?

Well,.it appears that there is 2 of us riding in this boat awaiting for some clarification on this issue.
QUOTE (njamilla @ Feb 23 2008, 08:16 AM)
Shit, Fuck, Piss: I had to say that because I can on this website. (Thanks Chef!)

QUOTE (chefelf @ Feb 23 2008, 10:30 AM)
That's what I'm here for.

#39 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 October 2006 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Shrike @ Jul 15 2005, 08:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What is this Syfo Dias is Sidious stuff? wacko.gif It makes no sense at all. Episode II stated that Syfo Dias had been head of the Jedi council. Are we suddenly to believe that Syfo Dias ordered up the clone army, faked his own death, showed up within months as the senator from Naboo, and orchestrated his election as chancellor? Of course, all of this happened without anyone on the Jedi council asking "Hey, isn't that my old boss?".

thankyou...

despite any EU nerd crapery (that stuff that turned loving star wars from being a 'guy thing' to being slimey geek thing'), everyone seems content on accepting this syfo is palpy crap... i really wish people would stop trying to jam that square peg in the triangular hole.

on the basis of the films, the only things that make sense are:

1. syfo dias was darth plageis
2. syfo trained palpy in secret while on the council, and slowly poisoned dookus mind while he was at it.
3. palpy killed him to steel his army and ursurp his position as ultimate evil bad ass that no one knows about in the galaxy.
4. having learned his masters signature move and bumped him off, he went and made anakin.
5. palpy put dooku in charge of dooping the trade federation into thinking he was backing them under the guise of darth sideous and giving them robots to give the glaxay a group of bad guys to hate and fear (like terrorists today) so that he could pull together a fat army without question and approval of all involved so that he'd be in prime position to concour the galaxy.

seriously watich people struggle with that is quite frustrating. as this is the only possible and logical conclusion to be drawn from what we're shown in the three movies.

no other scouces are to be relied upon because its all bullshit. if you want to call this a trilogy than everything else disappears. WHAT WERE WE SHOWN? WHAT DID WE SEE? THAT is all that matters right now, and those 5 points are the image painted by the PT films.

if GL himself says otherwise, then he's either full of shit, or fucked up more than we thought, because the screen says otherwise.

PS. syfo = sifu (Chinese for master/teacher)

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size