Chefelf.com Night Life: 91 Reasons to Hate Episode III - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

91 Reasons to Hate Episode III Revenge of the Sith Articles Have Begun!

#31 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:17 PM

QUOTE (SithAvenger @ Jun 7 2005, 04:11 PM)
I liked ROTS and I disagree with some reasons (Number 2, 6 and 9) but I think you are hilarious ChefElf. I recomend you to watch the Clone Wars cartoon because they really show you how GL wasted one of the best characters ever.

Whom are you referring to?

#32 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:21 PM

can you add something about how metal doesn't burn?

robots aren't afraid of oil fires unless they have open circuits.

If you're covered in metal you can probably walk away from a pool of burning oil.

#33 User is offline   major_tom Icon

• New Cop

Posted 07 June 2005 - 07:54 PM

Pasting this in from the old thread...sorry if it's a bit too long, just had to vent... :angry:

OK, I just discovered this site a few days ago, and I've been reading the 'Reasons to hate' for Eps I&II and laughing like a frigging drain. Some of the EpI ones in particular are hilarious. I registered here because I just noticed that the first batch of EpIII reasons are up, and I just wondered if chefelf had considered some of the particularly dunderheaded things about the opening space 'battle' (if you can call it that).

Firstly, when the Jedi are trapped in the ship's bridge with Grievous, A Republic cruiser fires on the cruiser they're in, causing it to crash on Coruscant. Why the hell would the Repulic ship do this? Surely they know that the damn Chancellor (the whole reason they're fighting, apparently) is on the damn ship and they're ENDANGERING HIS LIFE, AS WELL AS THOSE OF TWO JEDI KNIGHTS!. This is the equivalent of a group of secret service agents deciding to fire at a car that's being used to transport a recently-rescued President because no-one thought to tell them that the President's in it. Is it too much to expect a little communication during a rescue mission? How about letting the left hand know what the right one's doing? This is not the sort of behaviour one would expect from a galactic military power!

The other thing about the space battle which left me mighty pissed (apart from the fact that it was such a damp squib after so many idiots had been hyping it up) was the way Lucas tricks you into popping a boner by giving you a few glimpses of these huge ships firing at each other, and then squanders 90% of the precious space battle screen-time by showing the suspense-free, tension-free conflict between Obi-Wan's ship and some crappy little 'buzzdroids'. The exciting climax of this sequence is the fact that we get to see Anakin nudging the droids off Obi-Wan's ship, which is possibly the dullest use I can imagine for Lucas' CGI resources. What a gip.

I love the way the epIII batch of reasons is shaping up, chef - here's hoping they give me the hours (note:possible exaggeration) of enjoyment I got from their epI and epII predecessors!

p.s. I, too, wanted to smack each and every one of the idiots around me in the cinema who laughed when artoo set the two droids on fire. I'm still seething. Oh, and it was nice to see Chewbacca so skillfully and subtly inserted, too. It didn't feel in any way tacked-on or pointless, oh no.

#34 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:41 PM

QUOTE (Private Zod @ Jun 7 2005, 05:17 PM)
Whom are you referring to?

The character that GL wasted was Grievous. Becuse of that ChefElf hates General Grievous, so I think that if he watches the clone wars cartoon (chapters 20-25) he can change his mind about Grievous.

I mean Grievous is so cool.

This post has been edited by SithAvenger: 07 June 2005 - 10:42 PM

Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#35 User is offline   Storm Shadow Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:15 PM

Yeah, he dumbed Grevious down to ridiculous levels in the movie, but in the cartoons...good God he was fucking hardcore.

#36 User is offline   Jedi Arco Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Star Wars (duh); my car; guitar; basketball; football; I am an Actor on stage and screen; a full time student and part time bouncer; film; books; sci-fi; fantasy; Anime; Cartoon Network; my close circle of friend that I'm always open to expanding; my family; finding the right girl.

Posted 07 June 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hi guys, new poster! Love the site and got tired of lurking.

Anyway, I agree: Greivous was the f***ing man in the Clone Wars cartoons. Even his brief appearence in Chapter 20 of the first season was great. A totally underutilized character in the movie though. Just another, in a long line of examples. as to why Lucas should have given someone else the task of writing the prequels. What a waste.

#37 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (Jedi Arco @ Jun 7 2005, 11:37 PM)
Hi guys, new poster!  Love the site and got tired of lurking. 

Anyway, I agree:  Greivous was the f***ing man in the Clone Wars cartoons.  Even his brief appearence in Chapter 20 of the first season was great.  A totally underutilized character in the movie though.  Just another, in a long line of examples. as to why Lucas should have given someone else the task of writing the prequels.  What a waste.

Grevious doesn't actually appear until Season 2 of the Clone Wars animated series (the final episode of that season in fact). Chapters 21-25 make up Season 3, where he features prominently. I made the mistake of watching Season 1-2 before ROTS (I held of watching 3 until after).

Personally I'm glad it was handled onscreen as it was. The CW made this guy waaaay too powerful. He was slaughtering Jedi left and right and they were calling him "unbeatable." I was like "Use the Force you jerks!" C'mon. Grevious's treatment by Obi-Wan in the movie was much more realistic of how the battle would go. Essentially a beefed up battle droid fighting three Jedi Masters at once and winning? Yeah right.

Still, this is the same movie where a squad of Stormtroopers can kill Jedi Council members (though the explanation is that they were so shocked by emotionless troops turning on them and the shroud of the darkside limiting their ability to see it coming through the Force, still). I'd call Grevious's character pretty "wanky" in the series. It was even worse because they powered up the Jedi to the level of cosmic gods in the cartoon, and yet somehow this robot is supposed to easily pwn them? Umm ok!

Don't get me wrong I enjoyed the CW series immensly (and I'm a Tartokovsky fan), but I left my brain at the door when watching! wink.gif

#38 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:22 AM

You should watch some clips of Clone Wars. I assume it'd be 90 Reasons after that. ohmy.gif

#39 User is offline   Electric Monkey Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 05:15 AM

It's interesting how StarWars cybernetic technology can't seem to get lungs right - both Vader and Grievous were rebuilt from the ground up and Vader's got his wheeze and Grievous has a cough. Maybe his cyborg status and respiratory difficulties were a kind of foreshadowing?

#40 User is offline   NickRed Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:18 AM

(I'm a new member) I cant believe that I am going to have to wait over 3 months to read all of the reasons to hate this movie. I actually liked it, but the reasons for the last two movies were so funny that I cant wait to read these ones. Love the site!

#41 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 08 June 2005 - 01:11 PM

Love 'em so far, Chefelf. That line about R2 believing he can fly is classic. I also like this bit:
I am already suspicious of the reasoning behind programming audible language capabilities into battle droids. Purposely programming them so that they don't speak properly seems like an unnecessary frill when you are concerned with winning a war. Maybe adding extra guns would be more beneficial than having them act like thugs from the 1920s.

The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#42 User is offline   maestro_of_mirth Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Filmmaking, money, graphic design, money, Tolkien, Japanese yen

Posted 08 June 2005 - 02:23 PM

Oops, I guess I hit new topic instead of reply back there.

"I'd like to sum up the Star Wars prequels with a quote from Mystery Science Theater 3000.

"Apparently the plot is none of our business."

Also, I had never heard of the Star Wars cartoons, since I don't watch television; this explains Grievous. My first thought when seeing Grievous was, "Man, he should cut back to two packs a day." And if he had lungs, wouldn't he die when he flew around in space for a moment? Perhaps he used the Force?

I also enjoyed Anakin's Benedict Arnold impression. With these new paper-thin characters, a complex situation like "switching from good to evil" requires no plot or dialogue, and can be done in minutes or even seconds! Wizard...

I made my own Senator Organa pic; I'll post it soon enough. "

Hello everyone. I look forward to sharing witticisms. Was that spelled right?

#43 User is offline   Darth Vicious Icon

• New Cop

Posted 08 June 2005 - 03:13 PM

QUOTE (Magee @ Jun 8 2005, 01:59 PM)
Have any of you idiots considered what it was like to watch Grevious not having seen the Clone Wars cartoons? Watch Lucas introduce yet another ridiculous looking bad guy only to have him summarily and anticlimactically dispatched 40 minutes later?

Or is your argument that these movies only make sense if you have read/watched all 10,000 hours of additional Star Wars literature? That is certainly what Lucas wants you to think.

"Grevious was bad ass in a cartoon = he was a good character in this movie" Jesus H. Christ.

Yes, apparently watching the Clone Wars series is prerequisite to watching RotS, that is if you want to understand what the hell is going on.

"Why the hell does Grievous have a hacking cough?"
"Dude, didn't you watch the Clone Wars? It explains everything. Lucas can't bothered with the details. He's gotta write some witty remarks for the battle droids to say."

#44 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 08 June 2005 - 04:00 PM

Why does everyone assume I haven't seen the Clone Wars cartoons? blink.gif

I have seen them. I think they were a lot of fun to watch (though overrated). I really enjoyed them, though.

I think someone said it back in another post: ROTS should not have to rely on you having seen the Clone Wars cartoons. As a film it should stand on its own. Sure, Grievous was a touch cooler in the cartoons (every character was, really). However, he sucks in the movie and he really brings the whole film down, regardless of how awesome he may have been in the cartoons.

EU stuff is always great fun but the films have never relied on it before. You didn't need to read Splinter of the Mind's Eye to understand ESB.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#45 User is offline   Jedi Arco Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Star Wars (duh); my car; guitar; basketball; football; I am an Actor on stage and screen; a full time student and part time bouncer; film; books; sci-fi; fantasy; Anime; Cartoon Network; my close circle of friend that I'm always open to expanding; my family; finding the right girl.

Posted 08 June 2005 - 09:39 PM

I didn't mean to imply that the character of Grievous was, overall, a great character. I think that it is unfortunate that in order to understand and "know" him you have to watch an EU show that, for the most part, was better than the entire prequel trilogy.

And you were correct that he doesn't appear until the end of the "second season" of the CW. I have the DVD and I had forgotten that they were split into two seasons. biggrin.gif

Also, and I'm not defending Grievous at all here, he is not a great character, but the EU tried to explain his ability to kick Jedi ass. In the TPB called "Star Wars: Visionaries" they show the entire construction of Grievous. It's a great book by the way. Anyway, he is of a race called the Kalee (which I'm sure most of you know having read the novel and comic, etc...) and was a great General. His ship was sabotaged by Count Dooku and exploded in mid-takeoff. He was saved from the reckage, put into a bacta take, and given a droid body. At this point, Dooku begins to poinson his mind against the Jedi and trains him in saber technique. Also, Dooku reveals that he still has Jedi Master Sifo Dyas in stasis. Dooku then begins a procedure in which he drains the blood of Master Dyas and transfuses it into General Grievous, therefore giving him all the Midichlorians that Master Dyas had. Hence, Grievous' Jedi-like abilities. *Whew*!

Sucks that all had to be EU stuff. Hope that helps explain his insane ability to kill Jedi. Still doesn't make him a good character in the movie. And I still don't really care for him.

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size