Chefelf.com Night Life: 91 Reasons to Hate Episode III - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

91 Reasons to Hate Episode III Revenge of the Sith Articles Have Begun!

#166 User is offline   KurganX Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:06 AM

The Jedi Code nitpick isn't really a contradiction between the films. It's just proof that Lucas overwrites the Expanded Universe material (that he approves, I imagine with a big Yoda-headed rubber stamp, remember, green is also the color of money!) when it suites him.

In doing these movies and the Special Editions, sure he has occasionaly thrown a bone to the EU fans (Coruscant, Dash Rendar's ship in ANH SE, Aayla Secura the bit character, etc.), but for the most part he's overwritten quite a bit of their material (since 1983), forcing official retcons.

It is a funny nitpick though, because it shows this disparity between the two levels of SW canon.

#167 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 11:43 AM

Alright, I'm trying to be patient. Where's our latest Batch, hmmmm? smile.gif

#168 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 02:54 PM

Hey, it says that the update is up. But I can't get to it! Waah! *Goes off to cry in a corner*
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#169 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:04 PM

Oh, and one other thing. I was showing those to a person I know, let's call him Curtis. And Curtis said that R2-D2was ejected by the ship. Then why, may I ask, isn't the droid ejector included in X-Wings? Can anyone who agrees with the above view explain that to me? Hmm? Oh, and the people that are reading this whithout signing up, Sign up. It's worth it!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#170 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 27 June 2005 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (Andrew @ Jun 23 2005, 07:13 PM)
I really doubt that George Lucas knew what 'the balance of the force' was meant to actually mean when he wrote it in the script for TPM. It was just something that sounded like the sort of thing you might find in a prophecy.

'Whenever I use the force to levitate something it starts to drift off towards my left hand side.'

'Sounds to me like you need your force balancing. It's gonna be an expensive job though, there's only one guy in the galaxy who can do it.'

laugh.gif Andrew, may I use this for my sig?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#171 User is offline   Andrew Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 27 June 2005 - 05:42 PM

You're more than welcome to use it for whatever you wish! Enjoy!

#172 User is offline   Sauron Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:46 PM

http://chefelf.com/s...s/ep3_31-40.php

just change the numbers in the address, or click on that

#173 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:02 PM

Now the secret is revealed!
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#174 User is offline   Sauron Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

Um...did I?

Another person said that Chefelf said the update was up BUT then another person said it wasn't accessible. So I tried something...and it worked...

I figured it was Monday and it was supposed to be up?

#175 User is offline   yourUsername Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 June 2005 - 01:21 AM

I wrote this, and didn't really want to post it once I was through, but what the hell, right? I'm just trying to balance the Force here.

Reason #31
The Stupid Dumb Jedi Idiots
I think this may have been mentioned in the review of The Phantom Menace, but I will mention it again. Why do the Jedi think that the Force needs to be balanced? I would agree that the Force seems to be completely out of balance in the prequels, however, this works to the Jedi's favor. The Jedi number in the thousands while there are only two Sith. At one point, it appears to the Jedi that there are even fewer Sith (read: zero). So why in the name of all that is holy would they want to balance that out? It's as if Master Yoda is not familiar with the ancient Jedi proverb: "If not broken it is, fix it you should not."

I think the Jedi are about the Force above all things. Did they actually desire this "balance", or did they merely know that it had been prophecied and tried to do according to the will of the Force? Perhaps it wasn't so much about them desiring a certain outcome, only not expecting the outcome they had got.

Anyway, it seems that Obi-wan, at least, thought that the "balance" meant destroying the Sith...? I guess no one expects "evil" to be necessary, and they couldn't convcieve of that option.

Reason #32
Palpatine's Dipshit Water Opera
Palpatine requests Anakin's presence at some sort of ridiculous water opera that he is attending. It is there that he informs Anakin that they have located General Grievous.

The show that they are watching is peculiar and it is not the only moment in Revenge of the Sith that has echoes of the Star Wars Holiday Special. In the Holiday Special, we actually see something quite similar when Chewbacca's father enters the Wookiee Masturbation virtual reality simulator. Unfortunately, we are not treated to Mermeia as portrayed by Diahann Carroll.

It may be your reason to hate it, but not much else. Is this list supposed to be "Why Chefelf hates Star Wars Episode Whatever", or "Why Star Wars should be hated, being that these things are crummy and stupid and caca-poopoo Lucas ruined it by having his own ideas"?

Reason #33
The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis
In the opera house, Chancellor Palpatine regales Anakin with a story called "The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise." It is a tale of a Sith Lord who became so powerful in the Force that he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians to create life. He could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. He taught his apprentice everything he knew and then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. It's a heart-warming Sith legend that brings back the popular question: why the hell do the Sith take apprentices?

??? So that the Sith can continue to rule the galaxy a long time ago, far, far away? So should we do away with the whole Star Wars thing and just have six movies about a peaceful Republic? I don't get it.

Reason #34
Midi-Chlorians
The midi-chlorians had a nice one-film vacation. In Attack of the Clones, the midi-chlorians were left out of the story. Just enough time to make the viewer forget that they ever existed, which has been my goal since 1999. However, after taking the vacation, it was time to get back to work and make their dreaded appearance in Revenge of the Sith. In a scene that would have been no worse without their mention, it is said that Darth Plagueis the Wise was a "Dark Lord of the Sith so powerful and so wise that he could use the Force to influence the midi-chlorians... to create... life." If he had said "the Force" instead, the scene may have gotten by by being just stupid instead of vomit-inducing.

I don't personally know what Lucas' intention was regarding midi-chlorians, but it sounds like a good enough part of a fantasy as any other. Hell, if we knew his reasoning, it might actually open up a whole lot better ideas than some unidentifiable Force that just... is? What standards are we holding fiction up to these days, fer cryin' out loud?!

Reason #35
Unnatural
When Anakin asks if it is possible to learn the powers to create life and stop people from dying, Palpatine tells him that "the Dark Side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural." Apparently moving rocks around with your mind, falling a thousand feet and then grabbing hold of a speeding cruiser, deflecting blaster shots with a lightsaber and being able to see the future are rather ho-hum to the general population of the galaxy.

Unnatural meaning tampering with life... as explained by Palpatine just a few short sentences later? Maybe?! Yoda says as much regarding the natural order of life and the Force!

Reason #36
The Virgin Birth (or Anakin, I am your father.)
After introducing this new element of creating life and saving life using the Force, a lot of questions about Anakin's birth are raised. It is assumed that Plagueis was the master of Lord Sidious (Palpatine) and it is Sidious who killed Plagueis and learned everything that he knew. (In the novelization, Palpatine actually comes out and says it outright.) That assumption being made leaves the possibility open that Plagueis (or Sidious) is actually the "father" of Anakin, who was "conceived through the midi-chlorians." As soon as the element of creating life was brought up, I fully anticipated an ending scene on Cloud City with Palpatine reaching a hand out to Anakin. I still can't decide if I'm relieved or disappointed that it never happened.

Say what? Is this a reason to hate the movie? I'm confused again.

Reason #37
Wookiee Tarzan Yell
Once again it has happened. In keeping with the true spirit of Star Wars, Lucas has decided to take the bad moves of the past and not smooth them over, but rather highlight and elaborate on them in the new movies. One of the foulest moments of Return of the Jedi was when Chewbacca swung onto the AT-ST and let out his famous Tarzan yell. Some feel (myself included) that having Chewbacca yell in the manner of Tarzan, a character from Earth literature and film, was a rather poor move. Lucas, however, uses his own judgment. In his eyes, this moment was clearly an excellent move, a brilliant thing to have happen in a galaxy far, far away. So, in Revenge of the Sith, we are treated to what we can only assume is a traditional Wookiee war cry. And what's more is that it's double the fun! What's the only thing better than a Wookiee swinging from a rope and yelling like Tarzan? Why, of course, two Wookiees swinging from a rope and yelling like Tarzan.

Dear Lord, God forbid that George use his own judgment!!! The yell is for comedic purposes, and it's supposed to tie in with Ep. VI.

Reason #38
Anakin and Obi-Wan Part
Anakin and Obi-Wan must eventually part ways. Anakin apologizes to Obi-Wan and tells him he's a great teacher and Obi-Wan tells Anakin that he's a great student. It becomes clear that this is the last time they're going to be friends onscreen. Much like the scene in The Phantom Menace where Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan share a similar exchange, we know that this is their last moment to enjoy their friendship. Much like the scene in The Phantom Menace, it is so blatantly obvious that it takes any mystery out of a plot which also suffers from the fact that everyone already knows what is going to happen anyway.

It didn't bother me, nor anybody that has a life to be concerned about. I mean, they have to have this scene in there, and they need to connect this sentiment just before they go different routes in order to more effectively tie it in.

Reason #39
The Clones
I try to just accept it. I try to just let it go that they're all clones of Jango Fett. But I can't. They're freaking me out! In every scene we have a bunch of weird Temuera Morrison heads smirking, grinning, and frowning all over the place. All in all the guy must get more screen time than Hayden Christensen or Ewan McGregor.

Well, they're clones. It's a reminder of that fact. WTF are we supposed to do?

Reason #40
Padme's Laissez-Faire Attitude
After Anakin's second dream (or premonition) about Padme dying during childbirth, he decides to tell her again. Overall, she seems completely unworried about this idea that Anakin has. He even tells her that it's the same as when he had a vision of his mother dying, which she eventually did. Again, I must reiterate that I would be pretty freaked out if my girlfriend announced that she had a vision of me dying and she's not even a Jedi (as far as I know). Let alone if she'd had a previous grim vision of death that was realized.

Anakin comes off as some sort of really annoying Nostradamus who is stuck on this one prophecy. Anakin keeps harping on her death incessantly: "Wow Padme, I mean, I only dreamt of my mother dying once. And that was kinda foggy and I wasn't sure what to make of it. This time it's just coming in crystal clear. You died and I could hear your screams and you were wearing that same dress that you're wearing now. Huh. That's weird. I wonder what could be happening that could make you scream like that. It's like you were being crushed to death or someone was breaking your knees with a hammer. Oh well, you know what they say... always in motion is the future."

I commend Padme for her calmness in the face of death. She even goes as far as to promise Anakin that she won't die in the face of death. Excellent. Padme is a woman of her word so there should really be nothing to worry about. She wouldn't like to Anakin. Would she?

I think she was just trying to not agitate Anakin. Really. Besides, she wasn't a Force user, so I doubt it had the same impact on her than it did Anakin. Whether if he would be right or wrong, she had to keep going on as she did. What else was she going to do? Panic? Live a life worse than death?

All that being said, I think the movies were pleasing to the general populace... You know, the ones that FINANCED THE WHOLE DAMNED THING! X-Treme fans didn't line Lucas' pockets with millions, ya know. It's entertainment, and a living. People that take themselves so serious are just so bitter. I wouldn't wish that on George or anybody. There's a saying that an artist must create for an audience, not just himself. If it touches only a few, what real worth is there in the medium?

This post has been edited by yourUsername: 28 June 2005 - 01:23 AM

#176 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:46 AM

yourUsername, can you start a topic to counter Chefelf for the sake of arguing?

#177 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2005 - 02:47 AM

QUOTE (Sauron @ Jun 27 2005, 11:00 PM)
Um...did I?

Another person said that Chefelf said the update was up BUT then another person said it wasn't accessible. So I tried something...and it worked...

I figured it was Monday and it was supposed to be up?

Don't worry Sauron, I overreacted.

#178 User is offline   StructureCop Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:01 AM

QUOTE (SithAvenger @ Jun 28 2005, 12:46 AM)
yourUsername, can you start a topic to counter Chefelf for the sake of arguing?

I agree, this thread is for those of us who have critical analysis of the movie, not for the Lucas apologetics. Go to SW.com for that kinda fanboy stuff.

These critiques are based on experience in story-telling and filmmaking... for example, placing them next to the great epic literature of the Greeks and the later mythology of the likes of Tolkein. These were consistent, believable tales that exhibited a basic competency in the field. Lucas, on the other hand, has given us a hokey self-congratulatory smattering of nonsense dialogue and CGI that leaves the seasoned epic fan sick to his/her stomach.

#179 User is offline   StructureCop Icon

• New Cop

Posted 28 June 2005 - 04:08 AM

QUOTE (yourUsername @ Jun 27 2005, 11:21 PM)
All that being said, I think the movies were pleasing to the general populace... You know, the ones that FINANCED THE WHOLE DAMNED THING!  X-Treme fans didn't line Lucas' pockets with millions, ya know.  It's entertainment, and a living.  People that take themselves so serious are just so bitter.  I wouldn't wish that on George or anybody.  There's a saying that an artist must create for an audience, not just himself.  If it touches only a few, what real worth is there in the medium?

Actually the "X-Treme" fans have kept the Star Wars name alive and well for over 25 years. Countless millions have been poured into Lucas's endeavors by devoted fans.

We came to expect a quality of storytelling and intricacy from the OT. We patiently waited years, and what does Lucas produce? A high-budget episode of the Power Rangers. No one but an 8-year-old could be honestly engrossed in this new universe Lucas has vomitted out. There's no depth, there's no passion, just cheap jokes and embarassing, insulting scene after scene of pandering to the lowest common denominator.

#180 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 28 June 2005 - 06:54 AM

YourUserName, I just have this to ask. Are you really interested in making real counterarguements or are you just commenting on Chef's reasons to hate?

But regardless, as others said, it should be done in another thread. See ya there! smile.gif

• (30 Pages)
  • +
  • « First
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size