Chefelf.com Night Life: Anakin in ATOC - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Anakin in ATOC did he belong in it at all?

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 09 May 2005 - 12:18 AM

Question: What did Anakin offer to the plot of AOTC?

Obi Wan pretty much did EVERYTHING of any importance. It feels like Anakin got picked last for the team even though it's his own damned story!

Here's a list of Anakin's accomplishments and how they relate to AOTC's plot.

Anakin discovers that the would-be assassin is a changeling. No relation to plot.

Anakin follows Padme to her home planet. She would have been just fine had she gone alone. No relation to plot.

Anakin kills some random sand people. No relation to plot AT ALL.

Anakin gets captured and hangs out on some poles with Padme and Obi Wan. No relation to plot.

Anakin gets his hand cut off but dosnt really do anything else in the duel. No relation to plot.

Anakin screws/marries Padme. The plot remains unaffected.

Anakin is ONLY in AOTC because he HAS to be there to produce Luke and Leia later. There dosnt seem to be any other reason. Obi Wan had to move the plot of the film almost single handedly while Anakin was on a fuckin vacation for most of it. That's the equivalent of Luke Skywalker vacationing on Dantooine for most of episode four while Han Solo rescues Leia, escapes the death star, and leads the rebel attack. How can you make a movie where you could remove one of the main characters without effecting the main plot line?

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 09 May 2005 - 12:19 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:23 AM

laugh.gif
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#3 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

where the gushers at now? huh?

This post has been edited by Just another wretched fan: 09 May 2005 - 11:08 AM

#4 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:32 AM

Anakin is ONLY in AOTC because he HAS to be there to produce Luke and Leia later.

The corollary is that Amidala is in all three movies solely for that purpose. She has little personality outside of Lucas's bare requirements that she fall in love, conceive, and die. These are crude words, I know, but also true ones I think.

Anakin is supposed to be this hot-s**t greatest-Jedi-ever son-of-the-midichlorians Chosen One and he doesn't do jack in Episode II, as you say, other than ogling Amidala, getting his hand cut off in a mercifully short lightsabre fight, and pouting at the camera in a futile attempt to make himself look menacing.

Oh, and about that lightsabre fight - Anakin's supposed to be the star yet he's dispatched in seconds while Yoda gets many minutes to do his Tasmanian devil act. Graphic illustration of where Lucas's priorities were.

#5 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 09 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

Amidala was at least woven into the plot in some minor way, I mean she was opposing Palpatine (which, by the way, wouldn't Anakin have asked her to stop if him and Palps were such good friends? Couldn't this have been cause for an actual human conflict between them?) and Palpatine tried to have her killed for it. So she did have a reason to be in the movie.

And yeah I thought Ani's fight was rather anti-climactic. I mean his "rescue" seems kind of pointless when you consider that he didn't do anything except get captured and then get his arm cut off.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#6 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:04 PM

You're right. Anakin doesn't do much of anything. We just find out that GL wants him to be a creepy weirdo, and not the hero he was meant to be.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#7 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:23 PM

Anakin offers zip to the plot... but if I was Anakin I wouldn't give the plot of Clones a sausage either.
Hmmm... no gushers here, not even the level-headed Jariten.

Still - he offers more than say Bail Organa or Boba Fett (why Lucas, why!). Unfortunately he offers less than Jar Jar Binks.
Incidentally I would like to point out that I'm looking forward to Episode III because I will see Jar Jar die. That's my happy thought.

#8 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 07:35 PM

That will probably be the only high point in the film. And that is sad, because that shouldn't have been a problem to begin with.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#9 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:48 AM

Very true on everything.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#10 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 June 2005 - 05:59 AM

Sorry about the wait. Ahem.

If the story of the prequels is Anakins fall, then any scenes which attempt to dramatise that are important. Anakins half of AotC isnt supposed to be plot driven, its character driven. Specifically related to his actions concerning his mother and padme, and the repercussions those actions have in episode 3. The plot stuff is given to Obi Wan in this film (finding padmes would be killer, the clone army etc.). Both Obis and Anis actions will have massive repercussions in the story- Obis is wider in scope, Anis is narrower and more personal.

hopefully that made sense. I have a headache.

#11 User is offline   WalkingCarpet Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Puns, irony &amp; sarcasm

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:24 AM

The scenes with Anakin were important. They just weren't very good.

#12 User is offline   Lord Aquaman Icon

• Legend
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies, comic books, some mythology... basically anything that's larger than life.

Posted 18 July 2005 - 08:07 PM

QUOTE (WalkingCarpet @ Jun 17 2005, 08:24 AM)
The scenes with Anakin were important.  They just weren't very good.

I imagine you could have put a card board box in place of Hayden Christensen and it would have had the same effect.
I am the Fisher King.

I'd like a qui-gon jinn please with an obi-wan to go.

#13 User is offline   Revan-47 Icon

• The Prophet
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Former Members

Posted 18 July 2005 - 09:54 PM

or a mountain dew bottle.
"Life is too important to be taken seriously."

#14 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 19 July 2005 - 02:02 PM

two things, realy quick.

-jariten, you make perfect sense. short and sweet.

-mountain dew is the best beverage ever concieved by man-or God; or the midichlorians. id support a special edition with an MD bottle, and the caffine would help jariten's headache!
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#15 User is offline   Yunakitty Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Yoga, cooking, and Hayden Christensen!

Posted 03 August 2005 - 08:33 PM

Anakin had a point. The point was getting girls with a soft spot for bad pretty boys in that theatre and putting money in GL's pockets. I wasn't a Star Wars fan until I saw the first preview for ROTS and got a glimpse of that mullet. Sweet Jesus, that's a pretty man. I suddenly surprised my husband by wanting to buy a Star Wars poster, the Saga Trivial Pursuit (and wanting to play every night.) So, that was the point of Anakin.

Well, in ROTS at least. I hate the way he looks in AOTC. He looks like an arrogant monkey.

This post has been edited by Yunakitty: 03 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size