• +

Land Down Under review A JP forum exclusive

#1 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:48 AM

So recently in another thread I was talking about changing someone's post to the lyrics to a song I listened to long ago when I was a kid. My years of innocence occured while rockers were using unprecedented amounts of drugs, and while Michael Jackson was popular.

I have many fuzzy memories from the nineteen eighties - Star Wars, my mother, that wonderful Ayatollah Khomeini who taught me the meaning of summer solstice, exploring out in the country or in the parks. Some of the memories are even real! But the most real ones are about the music. I think I repressed some of the times I tried to make sense of eighties music and ended up just crying myself to sleep.

And so in that spirit I started looking up the lyrics to Land Down Under. I discovered that it was written by Men At Work. Not to be confused with Men Without Hats or their antithesis, The Laziest Men On Mars. "Well, that was easy." I thought foolishly. But then I read the lyrics. What I found is more frightening than the glint on Dick Cheney's forehead just before he drinks a tall frosty cup of diet caffeine free Iraqi baby blood.

"Traveling in a fried-out combie
On a hippie trail, head full of zombie"

Hmmmm I guess that this could be a reference to drugs? Otherwise I don't quite get it...

"I met a strange lady, she made me nervous
She took me in and gave me breakfast"

Hey I know plenty of people from Australia and none of them would just let a strange lady drag them into her house and feed them, especially if she made them nervous. These two sentences seem to be completely unrelated!

And she said,

"Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?

This is the part that gave us trouble. Sime is from Australia and even he didnt know what they were saying about his country. Apparently the women are radioactive and the men are theives. Given Australia's history as a penal colony I wont dispute the men plundering, but why do the women glow? What happened to them? Do they have super powers? Do they use those powers to stop the men plundering?

Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover."

Hey lady! You just took him in and gave him breakfast, what the hell are you talking about he has taken cover! Do you mean for him to get under the breakfast table? Are you trying to lure him into some sort of oral sex position?

Buying bread from a man in Brussels
He was six foot four and full of muscles
I said, "Do you speak-a my language?"

So he gets out of this crazy chick's house and goes to buy some bread. Naturally, wanting to report the woman's temptation he tries to speak to the bread merchant. What happens next is shocking.

He just smiled and gave me a vegemite sandwich

Hey now I think that's horribly insulting. If I were in a foreign land where the best authority figure was the bread merchant and I'd just been half molested by some crazy woman who cant tell inside from out (and lets face it by this point in the song its pretty clear that there isn't any actual storm occuring) but if that had just happened to me I'd want a mite bit more than a goddamn cheeseburger.

"Sir! This chick abducted me and then tried to lure me into her breakfast nook of inequity!"

"Here have a cheeseburger."

"Thanks a lot, assface."

And he said,
"I come from a land down under
Where beer does flow and men chunder

Once again we're advised to run and take cover, but why? Isn't this bread merchant who keeps vegemite sandwhiches in his pockets inside? Won't his bread get wet if he's not? Shouldn't he ALREADY have cover if it looked like a rainy day? However in this one the third line makes sense. Australians do indeed drink beer and, assuming "chundering" is a word for guzzling, than this is correct.

Lying in a den in Bombay
With a slack jaw, and not much to say

Well somehow we make our way to a "den" (read opium den) in bombay India. Well you might not have much to say but I sure do! What the fuck? Is Bombay where you've decided to take cover?

I said to the man, "Are you trying to tempt me
Because I come from the land of plenty?"
And he said,

What man? It wasnt even established that there was a man and now he's trying to tempt you? What is wrong with you Men At Work? And how do you get any work done if you're enduring constant sexual harassment? Also I always thought they called America the land of plenty, and Australia the land of beer and chundering.

"Oh! Do you come from a land down under? (oh yeah yeah)
Where women glow and men plunder?

Once again, the narrator is in an opium den, he's pretty well covered. But then again, as in the first part, drugs are clearly involved. So I'm going to say that this is the story of the band self destructing themselves while they fly over the world and use illicit substances all in an effort to escape unwanted sexual assault.

Wow, my childhood memories rock!!!!

This post has been edited by J m HofMarN: 04 June 2005 - 08:50 AM

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#2 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 04 June 2005 - 05:13 PM

The women glow because of all the opium going around.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#3 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 04 June 2005 - 06:03 PM

I'd always assumed the verb "to chunder" was the same as the verb "to be violently sick"...
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:32 PM

I don't know. It sounds like it could go either way. Sime, Barend, Mnesymone, your thoughts? By the way what do you guys think about me putting my articles right on the forums?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.

#5 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:25 PM

Nah, I think that it would sorta clog up the forum, and anyone who wanted to read it would go to your website. If you start a thread about it, a good idea would be to provide a link. Or maybe make your site a little less confusing.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 04 June 2005 - 11:38 PM

less confusing?

#7 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 01:45 AM

Somebody explain to this man how to make a proper website. There are general niceties you follow in regards to your users, various rules you want to follow or have readers be appalled by lack of design, etc. I'm too tired to remember any right now, minus the universal Keep It Simple, Stupid! I know making something dreadful to look at/navigate is fun, but it chases people away.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#8 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 05 June 2005 - 03:29 AM

I quite like how JMs got the site layed out, actually. Fonts are a bit small, the link to the picture at the top confuses me, but that aside...

And yeah, I'd avoid forum-only material, for the aforementioned reasons. Although sticking in bits that didn't quite gel in an update proper are fair game.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#9 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:17 AM

For the record, to 'chunder' is to throw up, or vomit. Very rarely used word, though.

I've heard the song plenty of times, but thats the first time I've actually seen the lyrics. Obviously, they're Australian's travelling the world. I have no idea what the first or third verses are about, but the second is straightforward. Guy's overseas, wanders up to a merchant, and asks for food. It turns out the merchant's also Australian, and demonstrates this by giving him a vegimite sandwitch(vegemite is apparantly very popular here, though nobody I know eats the disgusting stuff).
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#10 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 05 June 2005 - 10:59 AM

Hmmm so Australia is a land where beer flows and men vomit. Sounds cool.

Chyld- I think I'll just do these little things occasionally, though it is kind of cool to have the topic of discussion right here.

#11 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ Jun 4 2005, 11:38 PM)
less confusing?

For instance:

*Leave the main page for updates only. Put all links in your Links page.
*Streamline your site navigation. Put all your art (writing, painting) under one page, with sub-pages for each different section.
*Make the font a bit larger. It makes it easier to read. Make your site look like Maddox's. Read his FAQ and you'll know why. It's a lot easier on the eyes.

That's just some. I'm not sure what they are, but there's others. Feel free to ignore this post.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

#12 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 05 June 2005 - 02:32 PM

I attempted to change the font size but the site editor won't allow that. I'll probably end up having to go to the html editor. I will simplify the navigation sometime but I think the offsite links that I really love should stay on the main page. However, the link that links to the picture of the snowman fatty must stay.

#13 User is offline   Plush Pile Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:19 AM

Men at Work were hardly Australian, about 4 of the 5 (or something like that) were from other countries and migrated here.

Beer Flows - Men Chunder, i thought we could hold our liquer? oh well...

#14 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:37 AM

Great to meet you Plush Pile, and welcome to the Jelly Pufflemur forums. It's really cool you made your first post here, any particular reason why?

#15 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!

Posted 07 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Maybe he liked your site?

Just a seggustion...

Edit: I should also point out that for some reason, when I go to your site, I get right to the main page, but I can't go back (using backspace or the back button). What happens when I click back is it stays right at the page. If I bring down the arrow, it lists each page of your site twice. Strange, eh?

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 07 June 2005 - 12:57 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size