Why not clone Jedi?

#31 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ May 30 2005, 07:15 PM)
Yoda has always been understood in GL's world to be a mutated human, and is further proven by this lifted research:

"What do you mean he's human?", I hear you cry, "he's short, green and has three digits!  And the ears...."  All very good arguments.  Your average human doesn't look like that.  Yoda didn't look like that 80 years ago.  He was born Hershel Yodakovich, son of a dentist and homemaker.  Early live for Hershel, Hershey to friends, was pretty typical.  He had good grades, went to college to become an accountant, met a beautiful woman and got married.  Life was fine, if a little dull.  Then the sixties hit...

The fact that they are all humans constitutes a race.

You're kidding, right? You don't actually believe that Yoda was once human, do you?
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#32 User is offline   ForceHippo Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 31 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ May 31 2005, 06:27 AM)
Then go blame Carolus Linnaeus since it was he who elected to write under the latinized version of his own name!
Do you call Sting, Eminem, Bono, Pele and others by the name they elected for themselves or their birth names?
Namedropping? The fact is that today the swedes have to petition the government for last names because they are so g-damned unoriginal. One guy gets a little eccentric and creative and the other Swedes get all upset, but that's how it's always been up there in no-mans-land: swim with the crowd!

Hmm, this was a very interesting post. Anyhow, if you were trying to hurt some national pride, don't worry - I don't have any. I think what really bothered me with the original post I commented on was that you mixed a strange argument about jedi and a somewhat sloppy reference. Still, you didn't mention anything about my question on how you go about making a classification according to Linne based on abilities. To reiterate, hippos and salmon both spend much time in water and are both able to swim - do they constitute a single race in your opinion? Or is the ability to use the force something else than an ability? I'm very curious about how you go about interpreting the Linne taxonomy.

#33 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE (ForceHippo @ Jun 1 2005, 02:31 AM)
Hmm, this was a very interesting post. Anyhow, if you were trying to hurt some national pride, don't worry - I don't have any. I think what really bothered me with the original post I commented on was that you mixed a strange argument about jedi and a somewhat sloppy reference. Still, you didn't mention anything about my question on how you go about making a classification according to Linne based on abilities. To reiterate, hippos and salmon both spend much time in water and are both able to swim - do they constitute a single race in your opinion? Or is the ability to use the force something else than an ability? I'm very curious about how you go about interpreting the Linne taxonomy.

Midoclorians do not represent an ability. It is a significant genetic variation. Look a few posts up for my answer. Your ability to read posts is the only thing sloppy here. As a caveat, I never called Swedes stupid, just unoriginal. If you're going to go crying to others about my posts, be so kind as to not put words in my mouth ya crybaby.
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#34 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 07:27 AM

Midichlorians are, as the PT tells us, a universal ability - or as you put it, a genetic trait. Everyone has them, therefore the Jedi are only distinct by quantity there of.
However, they don't denote speciation or racial distinctions - owing to their universality they are more like mitochondria, and they pass through generations concurrently with the actual traits of the organism but in their own way.
And we won't put words in your mouth, wannabe legionnaire, cause you are putting enough of them there yourself.

#35 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:40 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Jun 1 2005, 01:27 PM)
Midichlorians are, as the PT tells us, a universal ability - or as you put it, a genetic trait. Everyone has them, therefore the Jedi are only distinct by quantity there of.
However, they don't denote speciation or racial distinctions - owing to their universality they are more like mitochondria, and they pass through generations concurrently with the actual traits of the organism but in their own way.
And we won't put words in your mouth, wannabe legionnaire, cause you are putting enough of them there yourself.

I know that you can't help the know-it-all attitiude with being English and all, but you are wrong on so many levels. Mitichondria are universal in regards to complex cellular life in animals. So what? A dog has mitochondria, just as I do. But we're talking about race in humans here. Now if some humans be it black, asian, white (these are not races but social categories, as there is only one human race) had a pronounced level of a type of mitochondria which let's say allows one to levitate space ships, sway minds, jump multiple stories, discharge lightning from the palms of their hands, they would have enough genetic variation in their mitochondria to be considered a distinct race amongst humans. Now obviously the trait to have a preponderance of such mitochondria is an inherited one (Palpatine to Vader?) Vader to Luke which is a further instance of genetic variation. Somewhere the DNA is giving instructions to build more of these supermitochondria within the cells.

Secondly, what's this 'we' baloney. The post was addressed to someone specific, and not you. I know a nerd such as yourself relishes the role of hero, but go take a seat on the bench until the coach calls you out.

Legionnaire? I see no Legionairre here. My avatar is of the famed prima porta of Octavian Augustus, first emperor of Rome...dumb ass.

#36 User is offline   ForceHippo Icon

• New Cop

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

QUOTE (SPQR @ Jun 1 2005, 06:36 AM)
Midoclorians do not represent an ability.  It is a significant genetic variation.  Look a few posts up for my answer. Your ability to read posts is the only thing sloppy here. As a caveat, I never called Swedes stupid, just unoriginal.  If you're going to go crying to others about my posts, be so kind as to not put words in my mouth ya crybaby.

So sorry, Swedes are not stupid just unoriginal; at least you didn't mind me saying that you went on an incoherent rant then. I just found it interesting to see that I was not the only one having a problem with your lack of civil manners.

So MCs resident in all forms of life constitute the defining characteristic of the jedi race eh? And since the most powerful jedi are humanoid, Yoda is nothing more than a very old humanoid. I don't want to deprive you the right of making your own interpretations, and if you are uncomfortable with the most powerful being in SW not being human I obviously can't stop you. So feel free to dream about Yoda the accountant.

On another note, I read your ideas about WW2 and seeing you are from Spain - say you wouldn't happen to be related to that guy of yours called Franco. It would actually make sense, since the old might is right argument about taking out undemocratic regimes and killing millions of innocents not quite is compatible with a somewhat more enlightened point of view.

#37 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:09 AM

QUOTE (ForceHippo @ Jun 1 2005, 02:58 PM)
So sorry, Swedes are not stupid just unoriginal; at least you didn't mind me saying that you went on an incoherent rant then. I just found it interesting to see that I was not the only one having a problem with your lack of civil manners.

So MCs resident in all forms of life constitute the defining characteristic of the jedi race eh? And since the most powerful jedi are humanoid, Yoda is nothing more than a very old humanoid. I don't want to deprive you the right of making your own interpretations, and if you are uncomfortable with the most powerful being in SW not being human I obviously can't stop you. So feel free to dream about Yoda the accountant.

On another note, I read your ideas about WW2 and seeing you are from Spain - say you wouldn't happen to be related to that guy of yours called Franco. It would actually make sense, since the old might is right argument about taking out undemocratic regimes and killing millions of innocents not quite is compatible with a somewhat more enlightened point of view.

Why is it more 'enlightened' to sacrifice millions upon millions of allies and innocents to Stalin and permit the take over of an undemocratic regime of previously free peoples? Stalin went on to murder millions upon millions of them (them being all the innocents in the eastern bloc nations and the multiple -stan nations). What if Stalin defeated the Fins and took over Sweden as well?
Then again, you are a Swede, when have you stood up for anything besides the senselessness of idling car engines?
I'm not from Spain, that is an error.

#38 User is offline   ForceHippo Icon

• New Cop

Posted 01 June 2005 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (SPQR @ Jun 1 2005, 09:09 AM)
Why is it more 'enlightened' to sacrifice millions upon millions of allies and innocents to Stalin and permit the take over of an undemocratic regime of previously free peoples? Stalin went on to murder millions upon millions of them (them being all the innocents in the eastern bloc nations and the multiple -stan nations). What if Stalin defeated the Fins and took over Sweden as well?
Then again, you are a Swede, when have you stood up for anything besides the senselessness of idling car engines?
I'm not from Spain, that is an error.

Well for one, it doesn't seem to be very enlightened to be the aggressor in a war, which would result in the deaths of millions of innocent Russians. It seems a bit strange to sacrifice all those Russian lives because you have a suspicion that the Russian leader may be a lunatic, who may pose a danger to others. The benefit of hindsight is usually not present when taking a difficult decision you know. Then there is the issue of precedent. What gives a country the right to be the unilateral agressor in a war? Because you can? Because the others are bad? Define bad!Because the others may commit atrocities? How do you know? Based on the knowledge available in 1945 how would you justify the U.S going nuclear (or similar) on the Soviet Union?

#39 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 June 2005 - 11:53 AM

QUOTE (ForceHippo @ Jun 1 2005, 03:57 PM)
Well for one, it doesn't seem to be very enlightened to be the aggressor in a war, which would result in the deaths of millions of innocent Russians. It seems a bit strange to sacrifice all those Russian lives because you have a suspicion that the Russian leader may be a lunatic, who may pose a danger to others. The benefit of hindsight is usually not present when taking a difficult decision you know. Then there is the issue of precedent. What gives a country the right to be the unilateral agressor in a war? Because you can? Because the others are bad? Define bad!Because the others may commit atrocities? How do you know? Based on the knowledge available in 1945 how would you justify the U.S going nuclear (or similar) on the Soviet Union?

You, my swimming swedish hippo, have a tin ear for English.

Suspicion?Hindsight?Churchill and FDR were sickened having to sleep with Stalin in the alliance. Stalin and the Soviet regime had quite the reputation for being lunatic murduring dictators before WWII. The horrors of the soviet regime were already well known!!! come on, this is basic stuff and i'm not up to tutoring...

Quit using the new peacenik buzzword, unilateral, as it's only indicative of parroting.

The fact is the US has always been unilateral they just did a better job before of letting others pretend that they were in on things.

I never used the word 'bad', again stop putting words in my mouth.

The justification for going nuclear would be the sovereignity of millions upon millions in a large assortment of nations.
come back after you finish elementary school, as we will have a fine discussion then

adieu

#40 User is offline   ForceHippo Icon

• New Cop

Posted 01 June 2005 - 12:32 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ Jun 1 2005, 11:53 AM)

Suspicion?Hindsight?Churchill and FDR were sickened having to sleep with Stalin in the alliance. Stalin and the Soviet regime had quite the reputation for being lunatic murduring dictators before WWII. The horrors of the soviet regime were already well known!!! come on, this is basic stuff and i'm not up to tutoring...

Quit using the new peacenik buzzword, unilateral, as it's only indicative of parroting.

The fact is the US has always been unilateral they just did a better job before of letting others pretend that they were in on things.

I never used the word 'bad', again stop putting words in my mouth.

The justification for going nuclear would be the sovereignity of millions upon millions in a large assortment of nations.
come back after you finish elementary school, as we will have a fine discussion then

adieu

I wouldn't dream about putting anything in your mouth - I just wanted to give you the opportunity to comment on the more relevant questions any nation should consider before blowing up millions of innocents.

Peacenik? Interesting way to describe me. Do you think peace is a bad thing?
So, in order to prevent mass killings of innocents in a large assortment of nations you think it was appropriate to kill millions of innocent Russians? Don't worry, the irony is not lost on me.

#41 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 01 June 2005 - 08:12 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ May 30 2005, 09:40 AM)
If the Jedi are a race, which they are, on the brink of extinction why do they not clone themselves?

A) They have no moral misgivings regarding cloning.
cool.gif They have the technology and the facilities.
C) Obi knows the location and has a rapport with the inhabitants
D) It sure beats holing up in a swamp/desert for 30 years.
E) A thousand cloned Yodas bouncing around like a top are better than one in GL's world of    exponential factors of enjoyment.

Why do we bother posing questions which can never be satisfactorily answered?

You Idiot! Everybody knows that medichlorians cant replicate themselves from embryonic stem cells, they have to be slowly passed to the fetus via the mother's blood supply.

#42 User is offline   fett Icon

• New Cop

Posted 02 June 2005 - 05:26 AM

QUOTE (SPQR @ May 30 2005, 09:40 AM)
If the Jedi are a race, which they are, on the brink of extinction why do they not clone themselves?

A) They have no moral misgivings regarding cloning.
cool.gif They have the technology and the facilities.
C) Obi knows the location and has a rapport with the inhabitants
D) It sure beats holing up in a swamp/desert for 30 years.
E) A thousand cloned Yodas bouncing around like a top are better than one in GL's world of    exponential factors of enjoyment.

Why do we bother posing questions which can never be satisfactorily answered?

If the Jedi had the resources to clone themselves (moral implications aside), obviously Palpatine could do the same- what would stop him, really? All of that business regarding the Sith wars making it so that there are only two Sith at a time? GL has a lot of plotholes- this one should be left as it is.

#43 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 07:06 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ Jun 1 2005, 11:53 AM)

adieu

nice...

real, nice...

welcome back H

#44 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 02 June 2005 - 10:21 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking. Same attitude, same insults... Hannibal is back, no matter how much he denies it... Or at least someone who's a carbon copy of Hannibal.

Tell me SPQR, do you hate Nazis?

This post has been edited by floppydisk: 02 June 2005 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#45 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 03 June 2005 - 10:09 PM

He's been banned... 'Former Members'... short-lived campaign.
I hear Carlos 9 gets credit for the kill.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size