• (2 Pages)
  • +

The Hangar Doors Who thought this?

#1 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:08 PM

Just in the beginning of ROTS there is this scene about Anakin blowing up the force shields for the hangar bay doors (on Grevious's ship). Imediatelly as he does that, this masive metalic door begins to unrap to quickly close the bay.

It would stand to a quick mind that it could be undesirable for any kind or ship (ie. boarding party) to land inside the hangar of a military ship. Therefore the force shields and the doors made a lot of sense.. All in all I enjoyed the moment.

Now I realized something important (wel.. to me it was ): this is exactelly what has been missing from the whole of the prequels. The feeling that people were thinking stuff trough. The feeling that milions/bilions of people were living in that galaxy and that the most of the obvious ideeas have been already thought over.

And I have proof for that: I always believed that it was a very dumb and unconvincing way how Anaking blew up the Droid control vessel. I couldn't put my finger on the problem.. but it was just dumb. Well, now I know why: it would take a few minutes for a military designer who built the damn thing to realize:"man.. we're gonna be needin' som shields to protect this hangar door, unless someone might fly a ship and launch a torpedo or someting from inside"

And it's no isolated incident.. you can find these things any 5 minutes on the movie.

PS. on another issue: I re-watched Ep3 today, somebody tell me this: They find palpy handcuffed to a chair... Count Dooku arrives.. they fight the guy. Anakin cuts his head off... THEN he uses the force to release Palpy from his handcuffs. WTF? What if he didn't survive the fight with Dooku. would it not make more sense to free Palpy BEFORE engaging Dooku.. I mean, give the guy a chance to run away? Jedi SOP, my ass..
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#2 User is offline   Dunedain Icon

• New Cop

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:45 PM

QUOTE (Radu094 @ May 30 2005, 01:08 PM)
And I have proof for that: I always believed that it was a very dumb and unconvincing way how Anaking blew up the Droid control vessel. I couldn't put my finger on the problem.. but it was just dumb. Well, now I know why: it would take a few minutes for a military designer who built the damn thing to realize:"man.. we're gonna be needin' som shields to protect this hangar door, unless someone might fly a ship and launch a torpedo or someting from inside"

Well, if that's a problem, it runs through the series as a whole. It seems that in a galaxy far, far away, huge battle stations have design flaws that can be exploited by the little guys.

PS. on another  issue: I re-watched Ep3 today, somebody tell me this: They find palpy handcuffed to a chair... Count Dooku arrives.. they fight the guy. Anakin cuts his head off... THEN he uses the force to release Palpy from his handcuffs. WTF? What if he didn't survive the fight with Dooku. would it not make more sense to free Palpy BEFORE engaging Dooku.. I mean, give the guy a chance to run away?

Run away to where? He would just be captured by rays shields, or a couple of droids and taken back to his holding cell. Being in the presence of two Jedi rescuers would be his only way of having a chance of escape. Even then, they still got caught.

#3 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

They let themselves be caught. You realize that they broke away from thier gaurds. They could've done that anytime. They wanted to find GG, or they wanted a way to get back to the planet, cause obi's ship was trashed.

And what's with a runway being perfectly in line with them to land on? In reality they would've gone through a huge skyscraper. That's how you get your special effects into the movie, Lucas. Have them overshoot the landing.

As long as I'm in this area of the movie, here's something else that's stupid. Why are Obi and Ani suddenly the syncronized swimming equivalent of pilots? It's retarted.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#4 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ May 30 2005, 02:12 PM)
They let themselves be caught. You realize that they broke away from thier gaurds. They could've done that anytime. They wanted to find GG, or they wanted a way to get back to the planet, cause obi's ship was trashed.

And what's with a runway being perfectly in line with them to land on? In reality they would've gone through a huge skyscraper. That's how you get your special effects into the movie, Lucas. Have them overshoot the landing.

As long as I'm in this area of the movie, here's something else that's stupid. Why are Obi and Ani suddenly the syncronized swimming equivalent of pilots? It's retarted.

Yes lets face it. The first 1/2 half an hour of ROTS was crap. Nice wizz-bang flashing lights crap, but crap nonetheless.

And who puts the controls of the sheild generators on the outside of said sheild generators?

#5 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

They were going for a strike - Dooku down, Palps rescued, but we still have the spare - Grievous. Perfect score if we take him out. Also lugging Palps around was making them dumb.

But as for synchronised swimming pilots - I suppose it would be too lame of me to say: Force empathy and awareness of each other?
Still - Anakin's Hot Shots move against the stupid buzz-droids (Did anyone else think Halo Flood when those guys turned up)... how does that make him the best star pilot in the galaxy.
And the Vulture Droids (Transformers - more than meets the eye!) were annoying. What's wrong with a perfectly normal fighter launch... besides, there were no vulture droids crawling on the Federation starship in TPM - which for some reason had no barrier on its hangar and had its reactor core just inside the hangar bay rather than tucked away in a gigantic cooling assembly deep inside the ship.

#6 User is offline   GreviousMAKESmeSAD Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

QUOTE (Veer @ May 30 2005, 06:45 PM)
Yes lets face it. The first 1/2 half an hour of ROTS was crap. Nice wizz-bang flashing lights crap, but crap nonetheless.

And who puts the controls of the sheild generators on the outside of said sheild generators?

I don't know?/ That seemed kind of video gamish didn't it?

#7 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (floppydisk @ May 30 2005, 11:12 PM)
They wanted to find GG, or they wanted a way to get back to the planet, cause obi's ship was trashed.

Come to think of it.. how were they planning of escaping the ship?.. even with Obi's ship still intact there was no room for Palpatine.Unless he and Anakin could cuddle inside the fighter cockpit.

Some rescue mission planning....
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#8 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 12:41 AM

QUOTE (Dunedain @ May 30 2005, 10:45 PM)
Well, if that's a problem, it runs through the series as a whole. It seems that in a galaxy far, far away, huge battle stations have design flaws that can be exploited by the little guys.

Yes and no. In ANH they CAREFULLY studied the plans and "found out a weakness".. an oversight. For something the size of a small moon I'd imagine the plans were quite massive and some sloppy engineer might oversee the small shaft as being a potential weakness.
Then in ROTJ the DS was not complete.. I'd imagine by the time they finished the thing this time they would have sealed all small shafts leading to the core.
Finally you get TPM where a (mind you , shieldless disabled) fighter can enter the hangar and accidentally shoot the reactor ("oops..!") sick.gif

#9 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:10 AM

Let's face it .. even in OT things were silly. I mean in ANH to defend the death star, they send out like 4 tie fighters.. WTF? Why didn't they just send like 20 fighters atleast to defend the station?

#10 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 31 2005, 01:10 AM)
Let's face it .. even in OT things were silly. I mean in ANH to defend the death star, they send out like 4 tie fighters.. WTF? Why didn't they just send like 20 fighters atleast to defend the station?

Technology and money. If Lucas had had the budget to show a space battle involving hundreds of fighters, he would have. Nonetheless, what we do see is enough to get what is happening -

A rebel force attacks the station. They are too small to be shot by turrets. Tie fighters scramble. The Tie fighter force is defeated, but now there are only a few Rebels left. Vader goes out to do battle himself. He destroys the remaining Rebels except for Luke. Han solo flies in to the rescue. Luke destroys the death star.

Sure having hundreds of fighters would have been cool, and I have no objections to adding a few more if Lucas feels like. But the story is well understood by what few we have. So it's all good.

#11 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

I'm just saying.. its illogical. You'd think a battle station of that size and under danger might actually have more than 3-5 tie fighters protecting it.. and to criticize the PT for similar illogicalness is kinda retarded.

This post has been edited by Renegade: 31 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

#12 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:51 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 31 2005, 10:41 AM)
I'm just saying.. its illogical. You'd think a battle station of that size and under danger might actually have more than 3-5 tie fighters protecting it.. and to criticize the PT for similar illogicalness is kinda retarded.

Or a hole which leads to a pipe which causes a massive chain reaction when disturbed. How about plugging up that hole instead of chasing down the rebels with the plans.
All of SW is stupid, but that's besides the point.
It's a kids fantasy film.
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#13 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 09:49 AM

The Blue Angels in space was ridiculous. And both times I interpreted Obi-wan's line "Let them pass between us" as "the way you fly is the difference between us."

the vulture droids were just waiting for the two jedi ships to come close to spring into action? there were 1000's of ships in the vicinity. Although I would be hard pressed to say who was fighting with who for what.

And the clone pilots' worth being less than the jedis? Well there's no use complaining about that.

What bugged me was the lack of O2 with open hanger doors and shattered windows. But it's just a stupid movie when you get down to it.

I have NEVER seen a runway in the SW universe. I DID see the Empire State Building.

#14 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:16 AM

QUOTE (Despondent @ May 31 2005, 09:49 AM)
I have NEVER seen a runway in the SW universe. I DID see the Empire State Building.

??? blink.gif huh?
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#15 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 31 May 2005 - 01:21 PM

Well, I'm sure even the great LFL designers run out of concept buildings- but I noticed several towers that looked incredibly similar to the Empire State Building. At that point I started scanning for a pair of tall, boxlike structures. happy.gif

Why couldn't a landing platform just ascend to "catch" the burning hunk of machinery? Oh well. the fire ships certainly were on the spot.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size