Chefelf.com Night Life: Shiftless artist seeks shiftless writer - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Shiftless artist seeks shiftless writer

#1 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:45 AM

For ages now I've been wanting to do a webcomic. Unfortunately for me, while I've got the drawing side covered, I'm not too good with the writing aspects. I'm quite good with characters and story and dialogue and all the whatnot for a decent serious project, but I'm decidedly lacking in quick set-ups and punchlines which can be crammed into a few panels and will suit a cartoony style, and frankly that's what I want to do. Besides, I really want to do a project with someone else. I'm awful at motivating myself, and the prospect of another person threatening to kick my arse if I don't get stuff done on a semi-regular basis is probably what I need. And a teamup with Yahtzee isn't feasible for a variety of reasons.

So. Anyone out there who's all set to do a webcomic but gets frustrated at their lack of drawing abilities? I'm your gal.

Frankly, I'm not expecting this to lead anywhere, except for a vague fear I have that someone will show me some script of theirs which is total ass, and I'll have a choice of telling them it is ass or of illustrating said ass (although try not to let that put you off). This is more of a last-ditch effort. All my writer friends who can actually write have fobbed me off with, "Oh, sorry, I'd love too but I'm too busy," and "Oh, sorry, I'm currently really uninspired". Fuckers.

If anyone wants, I can link to a brief portfolio.

My apologies to Hofmarn, whose book I still haven't finished reading (although believe it or not, I have done a few quick mock-ups of Glamis and Randylyl). I'm tempted to edit the fucking thing myself purely for my own benefit...

This post has been edited by Rhubarb: 30 May 2005 - 08:21 AM

#2 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:27 AM

Hmm... a while ago people were asking me for pictures to accompany my Knights of the Old Republic parody (here). I'd love to to do it myself, but I can't draw to save my life. So maybe if you're familiar with that game...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#3 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 08:42 AM

Heh. No I'm not, but I wish I was.

#4 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:19 AM

No worries about GLamis Laughlyn is checking it out and its kind of on hold at present anyhow. I cant even think about anything other than DofL at the moment but I might consider it sometime.

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#5 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:39 AM

QUOTE (Rhubarb @ May 30 2005, 02:42 PM)
Heh. No I'm not, but I wish I was.

Hmm... do you know anything about Star Wars at all? I could probably find you some pictures of the main characters and a few locations, if you could fill in the rest...
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

#6 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:41 AM

Barend's character bios will cover the main party members for you.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#7 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

I dunno... I really don't like going into something as wellknown as KOTOR without fucktons of reference material. I'll look into it though.

Also, if you did want the parody converted to a comic, by me or by whoever, you'd probably need to rewrite it somewhat to fit it to the genre.

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 09:53 AM

That's true. As it is, it might not work so well as a webcomic. sad.gif

#9 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:56 PM

The real problems the pacing, not in the original material, but in the rate of comics that you upload. Helena's work seems more suited to a Graphic novel style treatment. Sadly GN's rarely produce scenes in a single page that's suitable for posting, which leads to long delays in certain scenes whilst you assemble the nessecary artwork. In short, it means a lot of work and a small number of high content posts.

How much input are you expecting in the production Rhubard? Are you just planning to draw the artwork and invest the time in developing the look of the characters without any say in their actions or the overall storyline? You seemed pretty hacked off about the whole RoN thing before.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#10 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:10 PM

Hey, that's crazy. I had that exact problem (Of being a writer with no artistic talent, I mean). I'm starting a project like that soon, a comic I'm calling 'Ready or Not'. I've already got some of my friends doing the illustations, but if you want to join in, that'd be great, since they're all insane and already have two of three webcomics of thier own each. It'd help lighten thier loads some to have another artist, so if you're interested, lemme know and I can give you more details about the story. IM would probably be the best way to reach me if you can manage it. My SNs are AIM: MsmrRock, and MSN: rock_dash@hotmail.com.
I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#11 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 31 May 2005 - 02:56 PM

Rhubarb... you and I have the EXACT opposite problem. We should team up. That was the main problem with Company X (along with the PHP script dying). Even though I had everything drawn I was still too lazy to cut and paste in Photoshop. sad.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#12 User is offline   rock_dash Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Anime, manga, Dungeons and Dragons, Video games, other general and specific geekery

Posted 31 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

*demonic voice* Back off, elf! The artist is mine! devil.gif
I finally got a sig!

Oh God, I had no idea! How can they keep it going? You mean, Return of the Children of the Corn etc? Children of the Corn 2? Children of the Corn and the Prisoner of Azkaban? I Know What You Did With The Children Of the Corn???? Yes, it's horrible!!!!
-Some guy on IMDB.com just finding out that there was more than one Children of the Corn movie

#13 User is offline   Chyld Icon

• Ancient Monstrosity
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team

Posted 31 May 2005 - 04:39 PM

Ironically enough, I've got an idea for a comic, I can just about draw everyone... but I'm too lazy to think of any good plot ideas. Ho hum.
When you lose your calm, you feed your anger.

Less Is More v4
Now resigned to a readership of me, my cat and some fish

#14 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 31 May 2005 - 06:46 PM

*Throwing my cards onto the table*:
The Pictville campus webcomic writers have just graduated, so I'll be looking for dialogue writers as a replacement in about 2 months (since my use of the english language is haphazard at best). Or I'll be willing to provide assistant artwork for an existing production, depending on how the legal arguements play out. Anyone interested (or just anyone with interesting dialogue\scenario's) should post\pm me.

Oh, and I'm still working on Glamis JM, it's just that the scanner's bust and I can't upload anything, and other factors (PSO, exam retakes, attempting to hold together a stable relationship) are taking up my free time any assistance on character design form Rhubard would be greatly appreciated

EDIT:Glamis stuff.

This post has been edited by Laughlyn: 31 May 2005 - 06:47 PM

IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#15 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 31 May 2005 - 10:13 PM

Yay, much respose.

Laughlyn - I'm only really happy with the Randylyl image, which I uploaded here. Feel free to use elements if you wish.

Helena - Well, if you wanna just work out a couple of panels to experiment with, I could give those a go and see how they turn out.

Rock_Dash - I dunno, lots of people sounds a bit intimidating, but okay. PM coming your way.

Chefelf - I can't tell if you're serious or not...

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size