Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Christensen to quit? Well Mark Hamill dissapeared after Jedi

#1 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 29 May 2005 - 10:20 PM

http://entertainment...es/1176257.armx

(BANG) - Hayden Christensen is considering quitting acting to become an architect.

The 'Star Wars' actor says he has thought about swapping the big screen for designing homes - because the movie industry doesn't excite him anymore.

He is quoted by Britain's The Sun newspaper as saying: "Maybe the new 'Star Wars' will be my last movie.

"I don't find Hollywood interesting, so I'm thinking about studying architecture instead."

The heartthrob actor, who plays Anakin Skywalker in the hit movie series, claims the industry demands too much from its stars.

The 24-year-old actor, who has been romantically linked with his 'Star Wars' co-star Natalie Portman, also slammed other young actors who are prepared to sell themselves to Hollywood.

He added: "A film is a product and as an actor you can only sell it if you sell yourself.

"You don't get to sit at the table before you're ready to give away your integrity. Maybe it works for Orlando Bloom. It doesn't for me."

Why doesn't he just come out and admit working for George Lucas has permanently scarred him from making movies for the rest of his life. If you've seen his work in Shattered Glass and brief appearance in Virgin Suicides you know he can act, just not in George Lucas movies.

#2 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:46 PM

Why doesn't he just come out and admit working for George Lucas has permanently scarred him from making movies for the rest of his life

Maybe because thats not the reason why?

#3 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:47 PM

George Lucas directed "A New Hope" and although Harrison Ford admitted Lucas wasn't good at directing it certainly did not scar his career.

This post has been edited by Storm: 29 May 2005 - 11:48 PM

#4 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:53 PM

That comment was tongue-in-cheek...Though it looked like it was much easier for the actors working in the OT than it was the PT...McGregor said as much.

And Ford did NOT want to be back in ROTJ, but he felt he owed Lucas who jump started his career

This post has been edited by Michel Orla: 29 May 2005 - 11:54 PM

#5 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:54 PM

Why doesn't he just come out and admit working for George Lucas has permanently scarred him from making movies for the rest of his life.

I think this is the reason, but saying it like that would be admitting that he wasted several years of his life and embarrassed himself before millions of people, right after the final movie was just released. Its understandable that he doesn't want to do that.

I've wondered why Hamill didn't get any other major roles after the "Star Wars" movies, but on the whole Hamill performed well in those movies. Christiansen did a poor job in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and this is a key if not the most important reason why these movies are so bad. The stories in both movies are much more focused on his character than the stories in the OT were on Hamill's.

#6 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:15 AM

Hey whats he got against Orlando Bloom?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#7 User is offline   Kirjava Icon

• New Cop

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:31 AM

QUOTE (Casual Fan @ May 30 2005, 12:54 AM)
Christiansen did a poor job in Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, and this is a key if not the most important reason why these movies are so bad.  The stories in both movies are much more focused on his character than the stories in the OT were on Hamill's.

It's a safe bet he didn't just jump to the conclusion he hated movie making now. He probably realised it well into the filming of AoTC, but was latched to a contract and had no choice but to go on. I don't imagine it would be very easy to give a project your all when you despise everything about it. I'd blame at least half of his bad acting on a bad script, and the other half on him regretting becoming a media whore.

I suppose he might have come to the conclusion that he was sick of the movie business if he had been in different, better projects, but I'd say being in the prequels is what really soured him.

#8 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:54 AM

I don't know what he's got against Orlando, but I know what I have against him - he is a pussy... tongue.gif

Seriously, It's no small wonder Hayden is disappointed. I take your word that he can act. The fact that he did not give his best performance in AOTC and ROTS is the combined factor of a director and bad script.

SF and fantasy only works if you
1. Put a familiar character in unfamiliar surroundings
2. Put an unfamiliar character in familiar surroundings.

In case of OT, it was the latter (the example of the former would be for example, Highlander or K-Pax). In OT characters were all familiar to us, they were archetypes: I watched commentary to SE OT yesterday, and Mark Hamill put it brillinalty - you had a wizard, a farmboy, a cowboy and a princess. If you know who you are, you can act it out, even if the director is shite.

In case of Anakin, and the whole PT the surroundings are unfamiliar and the character does not know who he is. Is he good or bad? Not yet determined. Combined with unfamiliar surroundings, it does not work any more.

The same can be said about Padme. Who is she? Elected queeen - we don't know such people. Senator? Politician who is sick of plotting and politics? Jedi Knights who are generals and leaders of army? It does not add up.

#9 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:13 AM

he constantly asked for retakes that george wouldn't give him.

natalie portman was absolutley awsome before SW. and sh'e also said she wants to give up on acting...

draw your own conclusions.

#10 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (J m HofMarN @ May 30 2005, 06:15 AM)
Hey whats he got against Orlando Bloom?

The difference is that Hayden can act. Bloom knows he's riding on the winds from LOTR, because the man cannot act to save his life. He has the perpetual look of having something else on his mind. In Troy, he played the wussbag Paris, a suiting role, but he was still unbelievabley bad and wooden (you have problems when Brad Pitt can out act you) He was awful in Kingdom of Heaven, plain awful. He is not a leading man type and does not have the character to carry a film. Mark my words, Bloom will never play a heroic lead again! HC played the creap in Shattered Glass perfectly, and did better than expected with the crap GL served up for him in ROTS. I know all the geeks who love the arrow shooting elf with the wig will disagree, but it's the truth and hollywood has finally figured it out!
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#11 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

I wouldn't say that Bloom was terrible in the LOTR films although he was definitely too young and too pretty for his part (but the same was true, far more disastrously, of Elijah Wood.) After a while I wanted to smack Legolas one but this was mostly Jackson's fault for what he did to the character. That scene in ROTK where he takes down the mumak singlehandedly - what the f**k was Jackson smoking when he came up with that one? Bloom also acquitted himself reasonably well in Pirates of the Caribbean.

Given the hypothetical choice between Orlando Bloom and Hayden Christensen to play whingeing, pouting little Annie, I'll take Bloom in a second. Bloom looks a bit like an old silent-movie actor. Christensen looks a bit like the vocalist for an 'NSync cover band. Also, Bloom has a better accent - how does Christensen's slack enunciation turn into Sebastian Shaw's? Oh, wait, I forgot, Lucas "fixed" this problem.

#12 User is offline   Radu094 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:34 PM

QUOTE (SPQR @ May 30 2005, 07:01 PM)
you have problems when Brad Pitt can out act you

uhm sleep.gif ... Seven.. Interview With a Vampire .. Seven Years in Tibet.. Snatch... Fight Club

Brad Pitt is ok in my book..
I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you read is not what I meant.

#13 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 01:38 PM

QUOTE (Radu094 @ May 30 2005, 07:34 PM)
uhm sleep.gif ... Seven.. Interview With a Vampire .. Seven Years in Tibet.. Snatch... Fight Club

Brad Pitt is ok in my book..

The films were good but in all he was upstaged by: Gwyneth Paltrow, Kirsten Dunst, The Himalayas, a dog, Edward Norton
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#14 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 30 May 2005 - 03:51 PM

Poor guy, he got roasted by the media an now is hanging up his acting career.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#15 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 06:11 PM

I can pretty much guarantee you that he isn't quitting acting.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size