• « First

The Darth Vader Nooooo A request

#76 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 17 June 2005 - 10:30 PM

He's already been thouroughly yelled at for that comment.
QUOTE (Revan-47 @ Jun 16 2005, 07:47 PM)
Even if some people like the prequels, i doubt anybody anymore likes lucas. Mountain Dew threw some poop at him the other day.

I assume Mountain Dew's a monkey, then? You keep mentioning him. And poop.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#77 User is offline   dougte Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:08 PM

I haven't read all the "Vader Nooooo" posts, so I'm sorry if I repeat someone else's thoughts.

Ok, the "Noooooo" was the most "un-vaderish" thing I have ever seen. I felt like I was watching some weird parody of Vader. No-one in the theater laughed out loud (like they did at other parts), but I cringed. What made it worse was that Lucas panned out during the scream.

I could understand Vader crushing the droids around him, but the "Noooo" coupled with James Earl Jones' voice sounded like some weird slow-mo from a bad movie.

I think the reason why this "Nooooo" is unforgivable--as opposed to Luke's in Empire--is that this movie has so many flaws. Empire was great, and the drama leading up to the "big reveal" was done well, so Luke's "noooo" isn't as bad.

#78 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:22 PM

I just love this topic so much, I had to revive it.

uhhnnNNNNOOOOOOOOOO!

I think PJ should add this as a Sauron line when the ring melts at Mt. Doom.

And GL to Ep4 DV spinning at the DS.

And when the MF gets away end of ESB.

And when Annie gets non-master status at the council in Rots.

And when Yoda goes Sonic in Aotc.

And when Yoda senses fear in Annie in TPM.

--so it becomes a comedy number.

#79 User is offline   Andrew Icon

• New Cop

Posted 24 June 2005 - 12:47 PM

Here's a little quote from an interview with George Lucas about the various problems with ROTS:

QUESTION: What about the "Noooooooooo!" Vader lets out?

"Obviously he's been given some bad information. Obviously he's just had an operation and it's his first time in the suit. He's angry at himself. He's sad, he's pathetic. I guess that's the only way to describe that."

So the "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" is supposed to make him seem lame because "he's pathetic".
This is the man who is supposed to be the main bad guy in the next three movies!
So now when you watch A New Hope and Vader makes his dramatic entrance you're SUPPOSED to think 'hey, there's that pathetic guy. Why are they all so worried? He's a sad, pathetic loser.'

#80 User is offline   yourUsername Icon

• New Cop

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:32 PM

It wasn't a "Nooooooooooooooooo" in the sense that it is anger and sadness that his wife died, but in the sense that he basically sold his soul, had gone so far over to the dark side so much that he couldn't or didn't want to return to the light side, in this gamble to save his wife, which was the deciding point, as well as the theme, in his tragic life. He was actually becoming a pretty decent Jedi there in ROTS, but he was a tragic character and doomed to failure. At his core, he was subject to his emotions, and could never escape them, giving him over to being controlled by his weaknesses and haunted by them as well. Padme's death further compounded his grief and anger, touched upon the nerve that ran through his life and defined him, which caused his deep-seated suffering tongue.gif , pushing him over the edge. This "Nooooooooooooo" was supposed to be a culmination of everything in his life and his inability to escape his suffering, therefore he needed to express a negation of how events turned out instead of just a strangled yell of loss. The staggering was an attempt, like you see in many movies, for the character to unsuccessfully try to escape his bonds, as evidenced by actual, physical bonds in the movie, but was hindered by his circumstances. While he did escape the table, he was still a prisoner of his body and emotions. When he finally gave in, the "Noooooooooooo" is what resulted, the last, agonizing denial of all his years that he was afraid would lead him to exactly where he was, led him to the one place where he could finally be somewhat at peace with his inner desires and fears, a soft place to land on, so to speak. For him, giving up was a relief, but he still desired with all his heart that he could have done it the right way.

Okay, so Lucas isn't subtle. But, then again, when he is, people just don't get it. Take Palpatine's words regarding Anakin and the creation of life by directing the force as an example. I think this whole "Noooooooo" thing is easy sport for SW enthusiasts who don't know how to appreciate the spirit of a thing, or who think, by deriding others' genuine efforts, they are smarter and therefore better. I doubt anybody here can do what Lucas did in his lifetime, pulling off this Star Wars thing with the odds so much against him. I think I'd rather be living my dream in the best way possible than criticizing that dream on a forum.

Then again, some of those inconsistancies between the trilogies get to me, but never enough that I don't appreciate the two trilogies as basically seperate stories. I know that they are supposed to be one, unifying story, but it just doesn't make the connection for me. Seperate, they are good. Together, they tell a story, albeit disjointed in overall theme. Let's just face it, different eras, different George, different reality.

#81 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:56 PM

Sorry. But I do respect your passion.

It's just too cliche to be effective. I was waiting for a cut to a scene of birds, disturbed by the noise, flying off. Or to see the planet from afar and hear the echo across the vastness of space.

I saw it twice, and was too stunned by the much-maligned line to realize if there was a force hurricane in the OR. Was there?

Some of Vader's most powerful scenes (OT) were when he didn't speak. Seems to me, the NO moment ought to be a transformation into the proper direction.

They screwed up. The line sounds silly. But at least I don't have to watch the clone wars cartoon to understand your point.

#82 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

In fact, no so diferent George. It's the same bad director and now he brings old news! And he is never subtle, bicouse when he try, it doesn´t work! It's confuse and grtitously pretentious.
The Nooooo is an esthetic idea in conjunction whit the frankenstein step.
bad decition: It doesn't work as an homage and it takes away the dramatic awakening of the most famous villain turned to parody.
And stop explaining the internal reasons of the Nooo, of course is possible somebody said it in the circumstances, but it was lucas choice to show it to us. He choose not to shoot vader in the bathroom, and I think that could be interesting after the burning.

#83 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 26 June 2005 - 11:07 PM

I just had a thought. What if for the "she died" line ROTJ Palpatine went into his sarcastic "Ohh, I'm so sorry..." mode? Then he could slap Vader with his Skipper hat.

D'OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Sound Cue: Amusing Music

#84 User is offline   showmethemoney Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 June 2005 - 04:39 AM

It's just too cliche to be effective. I was waiting for a cut to a scene of birds, disturbed by the noise, flying off. Or to see the planet from afar and hear the echo across the vastness of space.

Ha ha! directed by: John Woo

#85 User is offline   arius Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

I knoooow this thread has been dead for a while.

I just had to join in and give my 2 cents.

It is reasonable that Vader would ask about Padme at the first opportunity.

It is not reasonable that the Emperor would knooooow.

EMPEROR replies: "It seems in your anger.... you killed her". Leading to Vader's explosive outburst which has no effect on the Emperor at all. And the lame NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO scream scene. Weird...

How would the Emperor knooow that?

C3P0 loaded Padme onto the ship and ObiWan left before the Emperor arrived.

A better scene might have gone like this:

VADER: "Where is Padme, is she safe?"

EMPEROR: "I do not feel her presence any longer. I fear she is dead."

VADER: Angry:Shouting "You said that we could save her if I did what you said!"

VADER: Draws a Red Saber Lightsaber.

EMPEROR: Force gesture. Superior Jedi/Sith Mind Trick.

Emperor: "You WILL obeyyyyy your Master."

VADER: Extinguishes Saber as he is forced to his knees.

VADER: "Yes............Master."

Far more believable don't you think? Even in the realm of fantasy.

This post has been edited by arius: 20 July 2005 - 03:17 PM

#86 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 20 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

Thanks, Arius. Great first post. (this Is my favorite thread...)

And nice suggestions. Would've been stronger.

"YOU Killed her" has all the smugness of suggesting: "What do you mean 'Didn't You notice there was a typo on the cover of the Annual Report?' (of course I did.) YOU signed off on it!" whistling.gif

#87 User is offline   arius Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 05:53 PM

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jul 20 2005, 05:20 PM)
Thanks, Arius. Great first post. (this Is my favorite thread...)

Thanks for the complement. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Despondent @ Jul 20 2005, 05:20 PM)
"YOU Killed her" has all the smugness of suggesting: "What do you mean 'Didn't You notice there was a typo on the cover of the Annual Report?' (of course I did.) YOU signed off on it!"

laugh.gif

That replacement scene would also explain how Sidious kept Vader's ambition on Ruling the Galaxy himself in check for 2 decades by the time the OT starts. It would also dovetail with that scene in ESB where we are first introduced to the Emperor and see Vader kneeling before his Holographic image.

This post has been edited by arius: 20 July 2005 - 05:58 PM

#88 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 July 2005 - 10:33 PM

"NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Sorry. Couldn't resist.

#89 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself

Posted 20 July 2005 - 11:59 PM

This is CNN tongue.gif

chestnut

#90 User is offline   arius Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 21 July 2005 - 12:18 PM

QUOTE (yourUsername @ Jun 26 2005, 11:32 PM)
It wasn't a "Nooooooooooooooooo" ...  Seperate, they are good.  Together, they tell a story, albeit disjointed in overall theme.  Let's just face it, different eras, different George, different reality.

yourUsername makes some great observatios.

This is just the weakest point in the movie for me when it should have been the climax.

They should have test screened that. Also when Luke got his prosthetics they worked perfectly. When Vader gets his, you'd think they'd be the absolute state of the art; Meshed to his nervous system and all. He should have been in fighting form. I can't imagine Vadar needing months of rehab before he can go on a mission to do the Emperor's bidding. You'd have thought that they would have done something about his burns. Maybe the suit looks after that too?

Anakin comes off as way too gullible. He should feel used and betrayed by the Emperor. That should have been expressed.

The nooooooooooooo should have been a yoooooooooooooooouu.
A burst of anger from Vader that the Emperor would have to get under control quickly.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size