Chefelf.com Night Life: Favorite Imperial Officer? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Favorite Imperial Officer? Piett, Veers, Motti, Jejerrod, etc...

#16 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 28 May 2005 - 09:25 AM

I always liked Piett the most. Mostly because of the rapport he seemed to have with Darth Vader. Vader had a couple of chances to kill him in ESB but didn't. Particularly at the very end of the movie when the Millennium Falcon blasts off into hyperspace. They show a closeup of Piett who quite clearly seems to realize he'd a gonner.

Then they show Vader who looks back and forth and then walks by Piett without killing him. That's one of my favorite moments from ESB because it shows that Vader can be rrrrrrrrreasonable. He knows Piett did all he could but somehow the Millennium Falcon still got away.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#17 User is offline   prequeldenial Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 28 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

It also forshadows Vader's eventual return to the "good side". For the first time, Vader shows mercy. Earlier in the movie, he would've destroyed Piett. But he's softening.

This was quite a bit of good, subtle forshadowing. Remember when you saw that in Star Wars movies. I tend to think that if Lucas made this movie today, after the Falcon took off, and Vader left and didn't kill Piett, one of other officers would approach Piett and I think the scene would be something like this:

OFFICER
He didn't kill you, Admiral.

PIETT
I know. I can't believe it, Commander Cody.

OFFICER
Why do you think he spared you?

PIETT
I have a feeling that he's going to go through a big change soon.

Piett would then walk away. And two R2 units would chirp by, one of them would roll into the wall for much needed comic relief.

I may be being too kind. I think my idea for the scene would be too subtle for George.

#18 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 29 May 2005 - 12:06 AM

I like the gay commander from Space Balls.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 29 May 2005 - 12:06 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#19 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 29 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 28 2005, 09:25 AM)
Then they show Vader who looks back and forth and then walks by Piett without killing him.  That's one of my favorite moments from ESB because it shows that Vader can be rrrrrrrrreasonable.  He knows Piett did all he could but somehow the Millennium Falcon still got away.

i think piette was just a likable guy, to be honest. i don't even know why i like him, and niether did vader.... the guy just had a subtle charisma that you couldn't pin point. vader looked back and forth because he knew it was chokage time, but he looks and piette and can't do it.
there's something special about that admirel piett, maybe it's the fact that he was ensign a week ago, or maybe i've just grown accustomed to his face...

This post has been edited by barend: 29 May 2005 - 07:58 PM

#20 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 30 May 2005 - 07:27 AM

I think I like Needa most. Just for having the balls to face Vader. Although I agree with Chefelf, that the scene at the end of ESB is awesome, because all would expect Vader to kill Piett

#21 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 07 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

Veers. All the way. He's the only competent Imperial officer in the series, plus he's the one officer shown leading from the front, right up in the lead walker. Shame he didn't appear in ROTJ, albeit the Rebels might well have lost again on Endor had they been facing him.

#22 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:54 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ May 30 2005, 07:27 AM)
I think I like Needa most. Just for having the balls to face Vader. Although I agree with Chefelf, that the scene at the end of ESB is awesome, because all would expect Vader to kill Piett

Kershner is the man!

#23 User is offline   Just another wretched fan Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:59 PM

QUOTE (JW Wells @ Jun 7 2005, 10:00 PM)
Veers.  All the way.  He's the only competent Imperial officer in the series, plus he's the one officer shown leading from the front, right up in the lead walker.  Shame he didn't appear in ROTJ, albeit the Rebels might well have lost again on Endor had they been facing him.

TROOPER: Sir! Ewoks are coming out of everywhere! They're hitting our armor with clubs! The officers are running around for no apparent reason! What do we do?

VEERS: All troops regroup, hold a perimeter around the shield generator, DO NOT persue them into the woods, do not send 3 squads to help, no one leaves their post, all we have to do is hold off until the fleet is crushed. The day is ours.

good guys lose

#24 User is offline   Vampsmasher Icon

• New Cop

Posted 12 June 2005 - 12:16 AM

Piett of course, there's something so human about him. He seems like he belongs in
a british tv sitcom but he's the Johnny Depp of Star Wars. Just look at his mug, he
doesn't even have say a word to make you laugh:

Its like, "shit how the hell did I end up here..."

This post has been edited by Vampsmasher: 12 June 2005 - 12:18 AM

#25 User is offline   SithAvenger Icon

• Wow, my avatar changed.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Interests of a Normal Teenager:<br />-Movies<br />-Things that are awesome<br />-Girls<br />-(Good) Tv shows<br />-Doing evil stuff the good way<br />-Videogames<br />-Hangin' with my friends

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:11 PM

I like Needa the most because he is the cause for one of the best lines of Movie History:

QUOTE (Darth Vader @ The Empire Strikes Back, Episode V)
Apology accepted, Captain Needa.

I LOVE that scene.
Sorry, you won't be seeing a smartass sig here. Try with the next poster.

#26 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:26 PM

QUOTE (Chefelf @ May 28 2005, 09:25 AM)
I always liked Piett the most.  Mostly because of the rapport he seemed to have with Darth Vader.  Vader had a couple of chances to kill him in ESB but didn't.  Particularly at the very end of the movie when the Millennium Falcon blasts off into hyperspace.  They show a closeup of Piett  who quite clearly seems to realize he'd a gonner.

Then they show Vader who looks back and forth and then walks by Piett without killing him.  That's one of my favorite moments from ESB because it shows that Vader can be rrrrrrrrreasonable.  He knows Piett did all he could but somehow the Millennium Falcon still got away.

Good call. I always thought (and this might be a stretch) that Vader seemed emotionally drained when the Falcon finally got away.

#27 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:27 PM

QUOTE (Veer @ May 26 2005, 01:37 AM)
Veers was the only competent imperial officer. At least he's the only one who actually accomplishes something.

It's a shame that he died in an unfilmed scene in ESB.

#28 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (JW Wells @ Jun 7 2005, 10:00 PM)
Veers.  All the way.  He's the only competent Imperial officer in the series, plus he's the one officer shown leading from the front, right up in the lead walker.  Shame he didn't appear in ROTJ, albeit the Rebels might well have lost again on Endor had they been facing him.

I think he doesn't appear in ROTJ because he was supposed to die in ESB.

#29 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 03:29 PM

QUOTE (Vampsmasher @ Jun 12 2005, 12:16 AM)
Piett of course, there's something so human about him. He seems like he belongs in
a british tv sitcom but he's the Johnny Depp of Star Wars. Just look at his mug, he
doesn't even have say a word to make you laugh:

Its like,  "shit how the hell did I end up  here..."

I agree.

Does he died in ROTJ when the A-Wing hits the Executioner?

#30 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:14 PM

That's the impression I got. And if he didn't perish from the impact with the A-Wing, he certainly did when the STD Executioner crashed into the Death Star.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size