Chefelf.com Night Life: "Your Father wanted you to have this..." - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

"Your Father wanted you to have this..."

#106 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 12 June 2005 - 01:14 PM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ Jun 11 2005, 12:15 AM)
Really - have you piloted a podracer? - also the skyhopper and X-wing are supposed to be made by the same people, so the control layout is effectively the same, just that the payload is different.

How do you know this?

And where do the Lars keep their T-16? At "Sandpeople Storage"?

#107 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:03 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 12 2005, 08:14 PM)
How do you know this?

I've also read that somewhere, so it must be true!
I used to fly X-wings on my PC back home, they're not much harder than Skyhoppers.

This post has been edited by Trigormike: 12 June 2005 - 03:07 PM

#108 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:33 PM

In all respect to the discussion - is a T-16 a spacecraft or not - we know that Luke is a good pilot himself becasue he does destroy the death star, etc.

While Anakin, the pod racing genius, dosn't even know what the inside of a cockpit looks like - what does this button do?, or much less on how to fly - 'lets try spinning, that's a good trick!'/

#109 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 12 2005, 01:14 PM)
And where do the Lars keep their T-16?  At "Sandpeople Storage"?

It's in their garage. You can see it behind Luke when C-3PO is getting his lube job and Luke is playing with the model.

#110 User is offline   andy_k_250 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Star Wars

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:39 PM

QUOTE (Trigormike @ Jun 12 2005, 03:03 PM)
I used to fly X-wings on my PC back home, they're not much harder than Skyhoppers.

"I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home. They're not much bigger than two meters."

#111 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (andy_k_250 @ Jun 12 2005, 03:35 PM)
It's in their garage. You can see it behind Luke when C-3PO is getting his lube job and Luke is playing with the model.

I will have to check this out.

#112 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Interests:Culling the vile plague that is Man from the planet to a more sustainable population.<br /> (NO ONE TOLD ME IT WAS FUCKIN' ILLEGAL!)

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:23 PM

The T-16 is NOT a spacecraft. It is an aircraft.
I think they were used by the rebellion as trainers for X-wings pilots. Can't remember where I read that as haven't been 'into' Star Wars since the prequels.

"While Anakin, the pod racing genius, dosn't even know what the inside of a cockpit looks like - what does this button do?, or much less on how to fly - 'lets try spinning, that's a good trick!'"

You won't believe the dismay I felt while enduring young Anakin's 'piloting' skills.

GL: 'Let's try a constant stream of flashes, CGI and noise instead of logic, that's a good trick.'

This post has been edited by Trigormike: 12 June 2005 - 07:28 PM

#113 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 05:47 AM

During the end celebrations on Tattooine (ROTJ:SE), a skyhopper flies over the crowds.

#114 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 13 June 2005 - 09:52 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 10 2005, 01:22 PM)
I'm pretty sure it's more difficult to pilot a podracer than a T-16.

that's like saying it's more difficult to pilot a race car than a cropduster plane...

#115 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 June 2005 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (barend @ Jun 13 2005, 09:52 PM)
that's like saying it's more difficult to pilot a race car than a cropduster plane...

Then why is Anakin the only human capable of piloting one?

This post has been edited by Storm: 13 June 2005 - 10:49 PM

#116 User is offline   Trigormike Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 14 June 2005 - 04:27 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 14 2005, 05:48 AM)

Because we've got CGI. Let's use it! Then we don't have to worry about using those stupid actors with their insolent questioning of the dialogue and character motivation rubbish.

#117 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 14 June 2005 - 12:46 PM

It looks like a modified Imperial Shuttle. Why would they own that ship? They are just farmers!

You know, the government owns some pretty nice, military-like hum-vees, and then there is the civilian version, which the Lars have, and for all we know, they got it second or third hand.

However, I don't like it that the Imperial shuttle looks like the Skyhopper. The wings are impractical, and it's doubly ridiculous that the same shuttle which hauls the Emperors butt around is the same type of shuttle they would use to carry, "parts and technical crew" to Endor. Oy! Lucas was cutting corners and it demeans the design.

And like I've said before, the podrace--altho I do enjoy it some respects---is completely pointless!! It slows the movie down, it's a complicated plot device to get something done, it disregards film continuity/situations, and it has no dramatic weight as you KNOW little Annie is going to bloody win!! So, it's a big yawner. I wish Lucas had saved the idea for something else.

This post has been edited by CowboyCurtis: 14 June 2005 - 12:51 PM

Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#118 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 14 June 2005 - 08:51 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Jun 13 2005, 10:48 PM)

he's the only human small enough to fit in one... tongue.gif

i think it was more that he was the only human to try... i'll have to watch TPM again to listen to what they say about that again, before continuing that argument...

damn you for putting me in that position tongue.gif *shakes fist*

but genrally speaking, flying vehicles are harder to controll than grounded ones.
(and don't resort to mentioning the fact that they hover, because that's just replaced wheels) other wise everyone would take helicopters to work...

#119 User is offline   thehitman Icon

• New Cop

Posted 22 July 2005 - 04:01 PM

On R2 "knowing" Obi WAn...

When Leia is programming R2 with the Death Star plans, she records a message.

"Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope."
Then we see her bend down and reach toward R2. Since it is reasonable to assume that Leia is unaware that R2 "knew" Obi Wan in years past, then her sending the droid is serendipitous. R2, eccentric through he may be, was obviously instructed by Leia, from info from her (step)father, on where to find Obi Wan, and to give him the message.

I accepted things that way for 20+ years, and it seems reasonable to me.

But, noooooooooo.....

We get the GL monstrosity of illogic and poor dialogue. He didn't stop to think that the whole serendipitous aspect was more endearing than R2 being a hero of the Republic, getting special treatment by verbally-stunted retards?

FUCK Lucas for pissing on Star Wars.

I digress. At any rate, he obviously did not plan for R2 to know OB1 in 1977, so it's all revisionist history, in the grand tradition of Mao apologists and Holocaust deniers. If Lucas cared about Star Wars, he'd have actually watched the fucking movies before writting the PT.

But,hey we may not have gotten a coherent or believable backstory, but we got kewl effects and horrendous dialogue.
YIPPEE!!

#120 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 July 2005 - 06:13 PM

Note also the message says merely, "this R2 unit". R2D2 is, to Leia, obviously nothing special, just another droid that happened to be a convenient place for Leia to store the plans.

As for Annie being the only human who can race pods - the only one who says that is Annie himself. And his experience (not to say his reliability as a witness) leaves something to be desired. Even *if* Annie is the only human who can race pods then what does it say that his super dooper Jedi reflexes can only bring up *level* to other races? Guess being the Chosen One isn't all that hot shit.

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size