Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Even Better! Repeat Viewers

#1 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:13 AM

By now, I'd have seen an OT release several times. Rots just once, but I'm going back don't worry.
I used to have more free time rolleyes.gif

So how many times have YOU seen it? (It's been out a week.)

-There's one moviehouse in town that features some special digital projection. Of course it was sold out last thursday night, so I missed it the first go.

Has anyone seen the digital screening? How does it match up?

#2 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 12:37 AM

tbh it looks better on lesser quality sources... makes it look more life like lol

#3 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:04 AM

I've seen it twice. Could not bear to see it three times. It is too boring. And I genuinely wonder what happened to colours in this flick. Why is everything dimmed, sort of dusty. All the ships look as if they are rusting or paint is peeling from them. Padme is wearing drab colours, even sky on alien words is never blue.

Why waste the digital technology to have something that looks like a faded book ilustration?

#4 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:02 AM

i've seen it three times. The last was digital, and it looked great and it sounded better, although their was nothing 'extra' a la AotC. I'll get to see it again in the cinema because it doesnt come out until July in Japan. smile.gif

#5 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:40 AM

I've seen it three times. Only once on the digital screen. It was nice but I'm not really a video/audio nerd so I can enjoy things even if the video/audio is not 100%.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#6 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:49 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ May 25 2005, 06:04 AM)
I've seen it twice. Could not bear to see it three times. It is too boring. And I genuinely wonder what happened to colours in this flick. Why is everything dimmed, sort of dusty. All the ships look as if they are rusting or paint is peeling from them. Padme is wearing drab colours, even sky on alien words is never blue.

Why waste the digital technology to have something that looks like a faded book ilustration?

Did you see Pay Back? That was almost black and white, really dark tones of blue in the film. I like to see films like that, I don't like the happy-joy colours of ep1 and ep2.

#7 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:20 AM

I'm back from my "birthday break", good to see all of you and read your thoughts on "Sith".

I have seen the film twice, and as Madam Corvax said, I can't bear to see it three times. In a nutshell, there were things I wholeheartedly disliked, but there were some things I mildly enjoyed, so it wasn't a total loss.

I don't like the happy-joy colours of ep1 and ep2

Richard, I'm glad you brought this up because after seeing "Sith" the 2nd time and then watching the dvd that's included with the Soundtrack (has anyone talked about this in a thread?) I realized that the "color palette" of the PT is a big part of what doesn't "fit" for me.

When I view the OT, I see a palette that is very silver & black for the space exterior scenes, as well as the Death Star interiors, the interiors of the Star Detroyers, etc. And the planets we visit in the OT are, for the most part, monochromatic in palette, e.g. desert sand on Tatooine, snow white on Hoth, forest green on the moon of Endor, etc. For me, the OT had a stark color palette that gave it a certain feel.

And as I watched "Sith", I was finally able to articulate this feeling: it's too colorful in the prequels. This is just my opinion, but I agree with you that visually, I don't like all the color of the prequels. For me, that is a large part of "what doesn't feel right".

Nice to see I'm not alone.

#8 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:42 AM

Quick question for the repeat viewers:

At one point in the film, a character tells Annakin something that makes it clear this other character knows about Annakin's sand-people massacre. Something like "much as you did with the sand people after your mother died". I'm about 90% sure the character is Palpatine, but could someone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance.

#9 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2005 - 10:30 AM

QUOTE (JW Wells @ May 27 2005, 10:42 AM)
Quick question for the repeat viewers:

At one point in the film, a character tells Annakin something that makes it clear this other character knows about Annakin's sand-people massacre.  Something like "much as you did with the sand people after your mother died".  I'm about 90% sure the character is Palpatine, but could someone confirm this for me?

Thanks in advance.

Yes, it was Palpatine.

#10 User is offline   Dartholomew Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 May 2005 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (BinarySunset @ May 27 2005, 08:30 AM)
Yes, it was Palpatine.

This was were Lucas tried to show us howclose Palps was to Ani. He also told Anakin something like: "remember back to your earlier teachings..." I dunno if he meant his Jedi teaching or something he taught him. I'm guessing the latter.

#11 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 27 May 2005 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (Dartholomew @ May 27 2005, 02:12 PM)
I dunno if he meant his Jedi teaching or something he taught him.  I'm guessing the latter.

Yeah, I'd guess the same, Dartholomew.

I guess now's as good a time as any to say that I liked the chilling "verbal seduction" that Palpy was laying on Anakin. I wish other things had carried that same "chill". Oh well...

#12 User is offline   Dartholomew Icon

• New Cop

Posted 27 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

QUOTE (BinarySunset @ May 27 2005, 01:08 PM)
Yeah, I'd guess the same, Dartholomew

I guess now's as good a time as any to say that I liked the chilling "verbal seduction" that Palpy was laying on Anakin.  I wish other things had carried that same "chill".  Oh well...

I guess that was what the movie was lacking. It had such great potential to be a total mind blowing experience but the questions that I have had for some 20 years regarding the story were addressed very mechanically as if Lucas was going down a checklist of things while forgetting other details. But I digress, yes, Mcdiarmid I thought delivered a stellar performance, Christensen was much improved and the interaction between Anakin and Palpy was great but the rest of the movie just couldn't hit it out of the park.

#13 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 28 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

QUOTE (BinarySunset @ May 27 2005, 02:20 PM)
I'm back from my "birthday break", good to see all of you and read your thoughts on "Sith". 

I have seen the film twice, and as Madam Corvax said, I can't bear to see it three times.  In a nutshell, there were things I wholeheartedly disliked, but there were some things I mildly enjoyed, so it wasn't a total loss.
Richard, I'm glad you brought this up because after seeing "Sith" the 2nd time and then watching the dvd that's included with the Soundtrack (has anyone talked about this in a thread?) I realized that the "color palette" of the PT is a big part of what doesn't "fit" for me.

When I view the OT, I see a palette that is very silver & black for the space exterior scenes, as well as the Death Star interiors, the interiors of the Star Detroyers, etc.  And the planets we visit in the OT are, for the most part, monochromatic in palette, e.g. desert sand on Tatooine, snow white on Hoth, forest green on the moon of Endor, etc.  For me, the OT had a stark color palette that gave it a certain feel.

And as I watched "Sith", I was finally able to articulate this feeling:  it's too colorful in the prequels.  This is just my opinion, but I agree with you that visually, I don't like all the color of the prequels.  For me, that is a large part of "what doesn't feel right".

Nice to see I'm not alone.

Yea, I'd even go as far to say that most of the sets, vehicles and characters also looked too 'nice'. It removed the kind of sinister vibe, and they seemed more like children's movies because of it. I found that the characters look ridiculous rather than intersting or frightening / threatening, and the sets are all sparkly and nice. I don't think it's right, given that Anakin was a slave in ep.1, and you'd think they'd want to make it seem a miserable place for him to be.

#14 User is offline   Michel Orla Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Many, many things....some which wouldn't be suitable for a forum of this kind ;)

Posted 28 May 2005 - 10:21 PM

4 times now (Glad my friend works at the theatre so I dont have to pay) By the fourth viewing I was completely bored of TPM (Although for some reason Clones has actually grown on me. I can tolerate everything but the Padme/Anakin love scenes) But with ROTS, my view has stayed the same since the first time I saw it. A really good but flawed movie, which at times does resemble the OT. So I guess the meat of the Star Wars films are Episode 3-5

#15 User is offline   GreviousMAKESmeSAD Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 29 May 2005 - 11:12 AM

That's right. The color. The scene with Bail in his ship was the only scene that felt like Star Wars to me in the trilogy. Why? Because it didn't look like a skittles commercial. It was drab, white, almost empty looking, but what we needed to see for the break down of a main character. Ahh the wonderful world of color. How much it can do for the medium.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size