Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Lucas, the damn sellout

#1 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 07:37 PM

George Lucas had a chance to create an incredible series of six Star Wars movies -- all the pieces were in front of him. Producing great films was entirely in his grasp. However, thanks entirely to his ineptitude and greed, what so easily could have been has been transformed into a mockery of everything that Star Wars was originally intended to stand for.

We know a great deal about the ideas Lucas had for his saga in the beginning, many great concepts. But his unforgivable mistakes along the way -- and his outright refusal to stick to the original story -- tarnished the legendary tale he was creating. He fell away from the true plotline of Star Wars and altered the story until it became the shoddy film series we have today. Lucas admits that his original idea for the series was to focus on the adventures of a midget hero. In fact, in interviews he even went as far as to say that he did screen tests to see if it would have been possible to make the main character a "little person." Imagine how great Star Wars would have been if only Lucas had stuck to his original story of a young midget facing adversity, adventure, and even prejudice in a galaxy far, far away (that turns out to be too much like our own). The movies that could have been crafted around this original idea would have been stupendous.

Instead, Lucas was blinded by greed -- he knew that casting a full-sized young man to play the lead role would be a more popular choice and would draw more viewers to the film. In his lust for money and popularity, Lucas rejected the glory of his original vision and decided to make Star Wars a ho-hum "coming of age" tale set in space. Furthermore, Lucas greedily chose to add special effects to the movie in order to salvage the film, which his weak, wooden dialogue and boring story (completely bereft of human midgets) nearly destroyed. Instead of simply *releasing* the movie and getting it over with, the evil George Lucas wasted nearly a year in post-production -- all because he knew that he could make more money (and garner more popularity) if he helped create special effects that would revolutionize the motion picture industry. How selfish.

And what happened to the tale of a plucky young midget galavanting around the galaxy seeking adventure? Left on the cutting room floor in lieu of a series of slightly above-average action films that have been overrated and overanalyzed for more than thirty years.

I know what you damn gushers are gonna say -- "oh, Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, he can do whatever he wants with it. He shouldn't be forced to commit himself to his first idea before he has a chance to revise it." That is a weak argument, although I admit Star Wars does belong to George Lucas. So, I guess, technically, he was in his rights to change the original story and do whatever he wanted...but that doesn't make it a good thing, and it doesn't make it a good movie series. I'll tell you what it makes Lucas -- a sellout. A total and complete sellout. And all of you Lucas cronies who lap up his non-midget tales and defend his greedy, selfish choices...you should be ashamed of yourselves.

I'm tired of hearing you gushers talk about how great the OT is. And I'm really tired of hearing gushers talk about how terrible the PT is compared to the OT. Give me a break! The vicious attempts to suppress the original midget plotline have reached their height, and now everyone has completely forgotten the true roots of Star Wars. Now the gushers spend their time debating over whether the PT was a good idea or not -- while the biggest gusher of them all (he calls himself "Chefelf"...yeah, I'd use an alias, too, if I were as much of a Lucas cronie as he is) spends time nitpicking the new Star Wars films....all of it is a smokescreen for the real issue! The fact that Lucas turned his back on true fans of Star Wars -- the fans who just wanted to see the adventures of a kickass midget -- and completely sold out.

While you gushers are wasting your time saying, "oh, look, another inconsistency," you don't realize the biggest inconsistency of all -- Luke was never supposed to be a normal-sized person. Star Wars was going to be GREAT!! But Lucas ruined it! All for fortune and fame! And you damn gushers support him all the way!

Man, Lucas is an idiot. Well, he's not an idiot, he's got you gushers eating out of his hand, eager to validate his non-midget stories. Everytime you criticize the PT (on the grounds that the OT was "better"), you play right into his prejudiced, anti-midget plans.

For a few us, the *real* Star Wars fans, the *real* bashers, the Real Star Wars -- a hypothetical yet incredible six movie series -- will always exist in our hearts, an eternal tale that Lucas will never be able to screw up with his greed...the story of a young, adventurous midget named Dirk Starkiller. May the Force be with you, Dirk.

#2 User is offline   Tpolg Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:04 PM

I ..... I ....I do not know what say.....

.....oh wait, ya I do......

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#3 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 June 2005 - 08:29 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.

I am currently midway through a Dirk Starkiller webpage, t shirt design and application to add his name to the candidates for the next election.

Although, perhaps George did not sell out. Perhaps he rejigged his aims, and instead Yoda is the revised Dirk! This would explain soooo much, SWars is not the Luke story, or the Darth Saga, it is the Yoda/Dirk tale, a story of one man's attempts to evade the empire through the Jedi Witness Protection Programme...

#4 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:56 PM

So, Lucas got the midget idea from Hobbits? And you're complaining that he didn't hold true to "HIS" notion?

I liked the SW and ESB films. Very much. WITHOUT knowing C3P0 was Luke's brother, Uncle Owen's dad was a deadbeat, or that our starkiller hero could be confused with Jack Purvis.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 01 July 2005 - 03:57 PM

#5 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:34 PM

He had no chance.

Star Wars - He got lucky.
Empire - He didn't direct it.
Jedi - Considered the black sheep of the OT.
Phantom - He decided to write it, failed, sucked.
Clones - Got someone, failed to use him properly, sucked more.
Sith - He got lucky. Replaced romance and pod racing with action.

#6 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:22 PM

Imagine how great Star Wars would have been if only Lucas had stuck to his original story of a young midget facing adversity, adventure, and even prejudice in a galaxy far, far away (that turns out to be too much like our own). The movies that could have been crafted around this original idea would have been stupendous.

Despondent took the words right out of my mouth. Lord Of The Rings, anyone?

#7 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 02 July 2005 - 03:27 AM

Is that the best you gushers can do? Attempt to excuse your idol George Lucas with weak arguments like anxiety of influence?

In 1977, the general movie-going masses wouldn't have known about LOTR, because (let's face it) the herd doesn't read books. It would have seemed fresh and new to alot of people. The only reason Lucas didn't do it was because he knew he could make so much more money if he turned his back on the brilliance of the original vision.

Oh, Luca$, Luca$...think of what could have been.

Dammit -- everywhere I turn...more gushers!!! (Except Bateman, he knows the score...thanks for the reply, man. Keep the dream of Dirk Starkiller alive!)

#8 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2005 - 01:26 PM

Keep the dream of Dirk Starkiller alive!

Boogie Nights anyone?

#9 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2005 - 05:54 PM

Perhaps the great PT Anderson (director of Boogie Nights) could direct my new vision for the final trilogy

A trilogy involving the building lust that Luke and Leia denied each other since Empire, concluding in a fantastic court battle where Obi reappears as a surprise witness to declare that midichlorians are capable of transforming DNA strands to the extent that incest is no longer a problem ... Luke cries out whoopee mind blanks everyone in the universe, orders Leia into the bikini and the fun begins. This would conclude the second film of course "Assault on Intelligence" leaving the way open for the finale, "Return of the Shebanging" a 90 minute R18 extravaganza with the welcome return of the Ewoks and a scene explaining why Chewbacca is always whining ...

Throw in William H Macy, a star turn from T Cruise and Juliane Moore as Leia and we have a hit ...

#10 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 02 July 2005 - 08:35 PM

While I don't care much for any Star Wars movie, I must say that you, Thereion, are being a bit of jerk. People who like the movies you describe are probably quite different people from the people who like the current Star Wars six movies.
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#11 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 July 2005 - 10:58 PM

I can list the people who like ALL the current six movies

My grandma who is currently in a coma and likes the light sabre fights (she also is a Jar Jar fan)
Charles Heston
George Lucas

Message over

#12 User is offline   Otal Nimrodi Icon

• Miracle Ghost
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I like my my little pony characters like I like my suspected criminals. Mirandized.

Posted 03 July 2005 - 07:17 AM

I apologise. I misspoke. Or typed, or something, although I liked all six movies equally, that isn't saying much because I think they all were about as good as being in the "Young Serial Killers" convention with Jason, Freddy, And Michael. I was simply trying to say that people who like the current Star Wars concept are not hypocrites and Lucas cronies. Also, you don't have to do much digging to find Chefelf's name to be Nate. And why should people be ashamed of them selves for liking movies? I don't care about what the OT should have been. The people who like those would be a much more intellectual bunch. I think that the Dirk Starkiller series sounds like a wonderful idea! But that is all it ended up as. So Lucas left that idea on the cutting room floor. Do you know how many ideaes a writer goes through before they even start writing? I can tell you from experience that their could have been almost a hundred great ideas left there, like a part of an old exp​ression, there is blood on the cutting room floor. Perhaps Lucas found those hard to write. Perhaps he was told no-one would like them, perhaps he couldn't find a midget actor up to his standards, and had the guy shoved aside to R2-D2. There are hundreds of possibilities. No-one can know what goes on in the, by now probably senile, mind of George Lucas. Do I think that the current movies are worth all the fuss people make about them? No. Do I think that Dirk Starkiller was a better concept? Yes! Definately. Do I think George is as mad as a hatter? Hell yeah! But do I think that people who like the OT and hate the PT are Lucas cronies and hypcrites? That I can definately say, loud and clear, no! They are not. Any more than people are hypocrites for liking my fanfic Sci-fi friday. Neither do I tell them that GL is not, in fact, the founder of modern science fiction. Gene Roddenberry is, and without him and Star Trek, no right-minded theater company would have bought the rights to the movies. It would be too risky. I will leave you with a final closing remark. Please respond. I am enjoying this dicussion!
Want a Tarot reading?

PM me, we'll talk.

#13 User is offline   Patrick Bateman Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 July 2005 - 10:11 PM

In summation

You seem smarter than me so I will bide myself

The Dirk Starkiller idea would easily be the better film. Simply a character called
Dirk Starkiller elevates it to the toppermost echelon of cinematic glory

People who like the PT are generally cronies or apologists, either that or mentally retarded. No offence but I work in a video store, I have conversations with these people all the time and that seems to be the general split.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size