• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Jedi Corpses Some vanish, some don't

#1 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 21 May 2005 - 10:00 PM

I have heard this topic brought up a bunch of times, but I didn't see it in the list of reasons to hate star wars, and I did a topic search and didn't find it. I notice that Yoda disappears as does Obi Wan when they die. But some other Jedis do not, as seen in the prequels. Why is the rule not consistent? If it were just Yoda disappearing, it could be said that it was just his species that disappears when it dies, but Obi Wan vanishes as well. I had assumed (when watching the original movies) that it was linked to the Jedi, rather than Yoda and Obi Wan specifically, but when I watched the prequels, it seemed as though it is not applied to all Jedi. Maybe I am missing something fundamental, if so please flame me.

#2 User is offline   SouthernRonin Icon

• Director of Fall of a Saga

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:24 AM

I think Lucas actually commented on this. In some magazine, he was asked, basically, why do some Jedi vanished and some don't?

His answer:

"Um, 'cause."

Or words to the effect.
Watch "Fall of a Saga" on Southern Ronin.com - The film for every Star Wars fan that died when Greedo shot first.

The Creative Orgasm - You have to see it for yourself.

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 01:38 AM

Vader didn't Vanish Either. Maybe it has to do with your midichlorine count.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:36 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 22 2005, 01:38 AM)
Vader didn't Vanish Either.  Maybe it has to do with your midichlorine count.

I think he explained it at the end of ep III with the whole qui gon thing yoda talked to OWK about... was a bit of a weak explanation but meh.

#5 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 02:49 AM

This is a minor detail, one that i can easily over look. This is one aspect that the expanded universe could explain.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#6 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 22 May 2005 - 08:54 AM

Yea there might be a valid logical explanation for why some disappear and some don't. I just haven't come across it so far. Maybe it's a choice of the Jedi, like an ability they learn. Yoda knows how to disappear and teaches Obi wan. However, this is not connected with becoming a ghost, as Anakin becomes a ghost even though his body is still there. Still confused at the moment.

#7 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:26 AM

QUOTE (SouthernRonin @ May 22 2005, 07:24 AM)
I think Lucas actually commented on this.  In some magazine, he was asked, basically, why do some Jedi vanished and some don't?

His answer:

"Um, 'cause."

Or words to the effect.

Well, at least he's being honest for once, rather than coming up with some bullshit excuse. I actually wish he had never included the 'vanishing' thing in the first place; it never really made any sense to me that the Jedi's bodies would disappear like that. Shouldn't it be their souls that become one with the Force, leaving the 'crude matter' of their bodies behind?
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#8 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 09:32 AM

Its through some secret technique Qui Gon taught to Yoda, who then teaches it to Obi Wan.

But in that case, why does Anakin appear as a 'force ghost' in ep6?

#9 User is offline   Private Zod Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:21 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 22 2005, 09:32 AM)
Its through some secret technique Qui Gon taught to Yoda, who then teaches it to Obi Wan.

But in that case, why does Anakin appear as a 'force ghost' in ep6?

That is the only difficult part. The only Jedi that vanished that we knew of was Obi-Wan and Yoda, figuring they learned it from Qui-Gon. Anakin, maybe because he is a product of the Force, was just able to reappear.

#10 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:46 AM

In the deleted scenes of the script I read, Qui-Gon tells Yoda:

'This gift comes from compassion, and not greed.'

Or something to that same effect.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#11 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:57 AM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 22 2005, 03:32 PM)

[sarcasm]Oh, of course it is. Because this is totally explained in the movies and everything. And it totally makes sense that Qui-Gon would magically have worked out how to do this, when no other Jedi in history (including those who had lived far longer than Qui-Gon) had done so before him.[/sarcasm] Jesus, even when Lucas has the sense not to bother with the pathetic excuses, there's always some gusher to do it for him.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#12 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:09 AM

Oh, of course it is. Because this is totally explained in the movies and everything. And it totally makes sense that Qui-Gon would magically have worked out how to do this, when no other Jedi in history (including those who had lived far longer than Qui-Gon) had done so before him.

If you payed attention, near the last part of ROTS, it does explain it very well. Enough so that you can use your imagination, or whatever, to work out the rest.

And we do not know if he was the only Jedi in history who managed it. There could have been hundreds that just didn't CONTACT YODA, like QUI-GON did!

This post has been edited by StarWarsIsUs: 22 May 2005 - 11:10 AM

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#13 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:39 AM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ May 22 2005, 04:09 PM)
If you payed attention, near the last part of ROTS, it does explain it very well. Enough so that you can use your imagination, or whatever, to work out the rest.

And we do not know if he was the only Jedi in history who managed it. There could have been hundreds that just didn't CONTACT YODA, like QUI-GON did!

Qui gon didn't disappear did he? I thought his corpse stayed there and was burnt later

#14 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:20 PM

His corpse was burnt. I was referring to Helena's speaking about Qui-Gon figuring out how to become a ghost.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#15 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (jariten @ May 22 2005, 09:32 AM)

Okay, let's ignore the characters for a moment, and examine this issue. Dissappearing as you die is a stupid thing to learn, because it has no practical use. All that happens is you dissappear as you die. Don't you think that it would be better to have your corpse explode as you die, so you can take out your killer with you? Seriously, I cannot imagine anyone spending the time and effort to learn how to do this.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size