Chefelf.com Night Life: Is Natalie Portman on drugs? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Is Natalie Portman on drugs? Excuse for strange acting

Poll: Is Natalie Portman on drugs?

Is Natalie Portman on drugs?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:29 AM

I was talking on the phone with one of my friends about how much we liked ROTS, and we both agreed that Portman's acting took a strange turn, for no apparent reason. I, personally, do not mind this. But my friend, says that she is probably on drugs, and this is the reason she seems... slightly wacked out.

What do you think?

SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#2 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 23 May 2005 - 11:40 AM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ May 23 2005, 04:29 PM)
I was talking on the phone with one of my friends about how much we liked ROTS, and we both agreed that Portman's acting took a strange turn, for no apparent reason. I, personally, do not mind this. But my friend, says that she is probably on drugs, and this is the reason she seems... slightly wacked out.

What do you think?

I voted that I don't know, although it didn't seem to register in the poll. I guess that's because I am inconsequential. I can live with that.

I found her acting to be a bit weird in ROTS yea. I can't put my finger on exactly how. It seemed like maybe her reactions to people and events were not clear or peculiar, I never really got to grips with what was going on in her head (until the end of course). In the previous films I thought I understood her performance more clearly.

#3 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

now theres a cutie. or what the under 15 UK mob might call "well fit".

#4 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:21 PM

Since I haven't been following any of the online fan sites or magazines that have probably been churning out publicity photographs for Episode III these six months past, this still photo above gives me the first good look at Natalie Portman in her Leia look.

Was Lucas deliberately trying to make her look ugly? My first thought on seeing Portman in the photo was, "huh?" The Leia "buns" have long been a bit of a joke but here they stick out so much they look like frickin' wings.

#5 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Veganism, body-building, wrestling, videogames - mainly Tekken, drumming, playing guitar, reading, drawing, Buffy, Angel, AND ETC

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:28 PM

QUOTE (ernesttomlinson @ May 23 2005, 05:21 PM)
Since I haven't been following any of the online fan sites or magazines that have probably been churning out publicity photographs for Episode III these six months past, this still photo above gives me the first good look at Natalie Portman in her Leia look.

Was Lucas deliberately trying to make her look ugly?  My first thought on seeing Portman in the photo was, "huh?"  The Leia "buns" have long been a bit of a joke but here they stick out so much they look like frickin' wings.

I think she looks alright

#6 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:33 PM

what i noticed more than anything is her accent changes over the course of the series... watch her again in episode I, and she has this quasi-english accent... her voice is deeper, with more authority.

it seems her whole character changed in episode II. she becomes less confident, the accent fades away... it doesn't make much sense - even in these 3 movies, lucas cannot maintain consistency.

#7 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 12:43 PM

That's true. In Episode I she does have a strange english accent, and her voice is deeper. maybe she was trying to 'appear' more authorized to do whatever she wanted as a queen.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#8 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:37 PM

Well, I don't know about Natalie Portman being on drugs, but Padme being on drugs would certainly explain the stupid hairstyle. (Goodness knows what kind of stuff she must have been on when she was Queen. biggrin.gif )
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#9 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:42 PM

Goodness me, have mercy on poor girl. Remember, they didn't build a single set for ROTS. She had only her stupid clothes to interact with and a jerk in a leather jacket. All the rest was green screen. I can't imagine anyone carrying it off the way she did. They were all pretty good actors, for not having cringed, lauged out laud or puking for saying the lines they were forced to say. Of course, everyone would do their best for the kind of moeny they were getting..

#10 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:45 PM

Yes, poor Natalie....

I didn`t have a problem with her acting anyway! And if you don`t like her acting, instead try to imagine her saying those words naked! Unless you are a woman( then you can imagine naked Hayden, my girlfriend says he is very handsome!)

#11 User is offline   HeckHouse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:53 PM

If anyone was on drugs, it was Lucas.

#12 User is offline   Richard Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ May 23 2005, 06:42 PM)
They were all pretty good actors, for not having cringed, lauged out laud or puking for saying the lines they were forced to say.

Haha yes. I would have slapped Lucas with the script and said 'That is not a tasty burger'

"If anyone was on drugs, it was Lucas."

Hehe

#13 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 May 2005 - 02:50 PM

Yes, poor Natalie....

I didn`t have a problem with her acting anyway! And if you don`t like her acting, instead try to imagine her saying those words naked! Unless you are a woman( then you can imagine naked Hayden, my girlfriend says he is very handsome!)

I never said I had a problem with her acting. I loved her acting. It fit with the mood of the movie. I just was stating that her acting had changed alot from AOTC.

Goodness knows what kind of stuff she must have been on when she was Queen.  )

LOL! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by StarWarsIsUs: 23 May 2005 - 02:51 PM

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#14 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 23 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (HeckHouse @ May 23 2005, 07:53 PM)
If anyone was on drugs, it was Lucas.

Actually, that would explain a hell of a lot about all the Prequels. Particularly Jar Jar Binks.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#15 User is offline   Obi-Ken Barbi Icon

• New Cop

Posted 24 May 2005 - 12:25 PM

I used to be a fan of Natalie Portman. She was amazing as a child (The Professional, Beautiful Girls). She was ok in closer but she was terrible in AOTC and TPM. In this movie, she acts the best of all three prequels. But she looks like crap! I can only infer that they were trying to make her look ugly or stressed or something. It takes real skill to take a beautiful sexy woman like Natalie Portman and make her look like crap! thumbsup.gif

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size