• Last »

How well does it connect? a question and an idea

#31 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 21 2005, 06:04 PM)
Did people laugh in the threatre when he said "nooooooooooooooooooooo"?

I certainly did. I couldn't help it. I can't beleive anything that bad would be put in seriously.

QUOTE (Veer @ May 21 2005, 10:58 PM)
I always believed that the PT would be -

Episode I - Discovery/Training of Anakin, the Clone Wars

Episode II - Military take over of the republic, fall of Anakin to the dark side

Episode III - Defeat of the Jedi, death of Anakin’s wife, beginnings of the rebellion

Exactly. For the most part that was my assumption. The main problem is that if you get rid of Episode I and II you don't really lose much. Nearly all the development and characterization happens in ROTS. You could quite easily accept ROTS as an in media res beginning and aside from a few brief references (midi-cholorians, Qui-Gon, etc.) you would know exactly what was going on.
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#32 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:11 AM

""I certainly did. I couldn't help it. I can't beleive anything that bad would be put in seriously.""

I counted the 'No' scene. It lasted three seconds. And it wasn't that loud. Didn't bother me any. *shrugs*
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#33 User is offline   Chefelf Icon

• LittleHorse Fan
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:14 AM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ May 22 2005, 10:11 AM)
I counted the 'No' scene. It lasted three seconds. And it wasn't that loud. Didn't bother me any. *shrugs*

Saying the word "midi-chlorians" only took less than half a second. rolleyes.gif
See Chefelf in a Movie! -> The People vs. George Lucas

Buy the New LittleHorse CD, Strangers in the Valley!
CD Baby | iTunes | LittleHorse - Flight of the Bumblebee Video

Chefelf on: Twitter | friendfeed | Jaiku | Bitstrips | Muxtape | Mento | MySpace | Flickr | YouTube | LibraryThing

#34 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:16 AM

True...
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#35 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 22 May 2005 - 10:24 AM

Chefelf, bu the context in which midichlorians were brought in ROTS was quite interesting, don`t you think?

#36 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 21 2005, 11:34 PM)
That doesn't even make any sense... how can you refuse to accept Lucas "way" of tieing up lose ends when its his movie and his story. You guys have like bigger egos then he does, acting as if the role of Lucas is to make movies that you will accept. Besides he basically had the ideas in mind for ROTJ when writing ESB too, its not like they were mutually exclusive.

Now I get it where you're coming from....
I was shocked at your loyalty to a horrible film but now it makes sense to me.

Lay off the kid. Once he sees the lame PT through adult eyes we can resume the conversation.
Does your Mom know you are on the computer so much?

#37 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:12 PM

QUOTE (Darth Pants @ May 22 2005, 06:18 AM)
I wouldn't expect it to make any sense to the average mindless gusher who blindly accepts whatever nonsense Baron Crapanoida chooses to feed him or her. smile.gif
It may be his story and he has got all the rights, in the world, to go wherever he pleases with it BUT once he released it and decided to share it with the world, there were going to be varying opinions on it - this is a free world and  people are allowed to have individual opinions on the merits or demerits of any story.

Not all individuals are going to have the same opinions and not all are going to love all the movies and not all are going to blindly accept his tale blindly without putting it to scrutiny.

As far as I'm concerned, only the first two movies released (ANH and ESB) are worthy of the moniker "Star Wars". In my opinion, the other four movies making up the saga are, crap and are, therefore, not worthy of the "Star Wars" name.

biggrin.gif

I don't understand WHY THIS IS SO HARD TO UNDERSTAND. You have a right NOT to like the movie, but you sound like an elitist little prick when you say you "don't accept what Lucas did with the story in ROTJ". That doesn't make any sense, whether you like it or not its his story between ANH-ROTJ, and just because you don't like one of them, doesn't mean you should be saying "oh ya that doesn't count apart of the saga". That's like me watching a movie, like Gladiator, and then at the end getting pissed off that Roussell Crowe's character dying so i just choose to "leave that out" and write my own ending that i prefer.

#38 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:18 PM

You could quite easily accept ROTS as an in media res beginning and aside from a few brief references (midi-cholorians, Qui-Gon, etc.) you would know exactly what was going on.

I dont buy it. as well as the actual dramatic impact of Palpatines slow rise to power/final revalation, Anakins turn to the darkside only really makes sense in the context of Shmis death in AotC.

TPM, on the other hand, is a different matter...

#39 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:33 PM

TPM is a better film than AOTC, by the way.

#40 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:36 PM

The only good scene in TPM was the Maul Vs OWK Vs Qui Gon fight, which I still think was the best duel in the prequels. Besides that the movie was garbage, useless, and unentertaining.

#41 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

TPM was on TV the other day, so I tuned in. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it, esp. in the light of Sith, it seems almost...quaint. Dont get me wrong, ive always been a fan of the film. I do regard it as the weakest of the SW franchise, but placed next to other summer blockbuster fair, it seems all the more imaginative and impressive.

#42 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:52 PM

I accept Star Wars for what it is. I accept Episodes I, II, III, IV, V and VI as part of the official canon. I sure don't like TPM and ROTJ, but they ARE part of the continuity, and there's nothing I can do about it. If I had my way, Star Wars would just be ANH, but the other movies are there, and there's just no way to ignore it - they are part of the story.

It's when you get to the Expanded Universe stuff that I begin to disregard things. I don't care for the comics or RPGs. I don't really like the books either, and there are very few good videogames that fit into continuity. The only EU thing that I really like is Star Tours, even though it's in need of updating. I accept most of those as canon, because they are... not because I necessarily want to.

And I found AOTC to be better than TPM. AOTC had a lot more problems, but I felt that AOTC just left me slightly more satisfied. It felt a little more like a Star Wars film. TPM was just a joke-fest and politics lecture dressed up in flashy duds, while AOTC did have some elements of Star Wars in there.

#43 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 04:55 PM

As i remember, main problem with TPM was Jar-Jar and it being oriented towards kids. Since I am a big child to an extent I didn`t have big problems with it, though I agree Jar-Jar was used too much. But I really like Palpatine, Qui-Gon and Darth Maul, not to mention those funny Trade Federation villains and Watto-my favourite alien!

On the other hand AOTC was film which didn`t live to its potential-including Anakin-Padme relationship and the portayal of Jedi Council as people who are lacking Wisdom and Insight, rushing to Geonosis, and Yoda taking the Clone Army( while knowing it was created from Jango)- I would have much preferred if the Senate forced Jedi to fight war against their will! And some scenes I liked to see were cut- therefore plot was too convoluted and not enough explained!

What do you think, Jariten?!

This post has been edited by Lord Melkor: 22 May 2005 - 04:57 PM

#44 User is offline   jariten Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:11 PM

About AotC? well this probably isnt the thread for it so i'll be quick.

What I loved about AotC was the masive scope of it, its dense, complex plotting and this overall sense of impending doom that runs up the spine of the narrative. You really get the feeling that events are overtaking the Jedi who are becoming powerless to stop the flow that Palpatine has set in motion. They are forced to rush into that final battle in order to try to prevent war, and theres a great feeling of desperation about the attack, as well as the knowing audience feeling that regardless of what they do, it'll all be for nought anyway. plus theres jango and bobas relationship, Obi Wan turning SW into a Marlowe detective story, the excellent chase scene and numerous fights throughout, Anakins slaughter of the tuskans, his confession to Padme, the promise he makes himself about "not failing again" (brilliant in the light of RotS), Obi and Anis teacher/learner dynamic, as well as the general look and feel of the film. Its meloncholic and sweetly melodramatic.

Yes there are flaws (some big ones), but all the SW films are lumbered with them. Its a shame that AotC's are so obvious, as it gave critics something to latch onto.

#45 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 05:41 PM

The problem with TPM was that it played like a Warner Brothers cartoon, complete with ethnic stereotypes (I'm not being PC, it's just that they were stupid). We have Gunray and crew who are subservient protocol bound asians, Watto is an immigrant Italian, Jar Jar is a caribbean islander, and Anakin has midoclorians which more than appear to resemble a certain y-haplotype study being carried out by a race of people.
The whole production reaked of kid appeal with 2 headed play by play commentators and Anakin's friends who mimic a Sesame Street cast of diversity. I'm surprised oscar the grouch wasn't piloting a pod racer.
Sucked.
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size