• +
  • « First

How well does it connect? a question and an idea

#106 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:31 PM

Yes, Madam Corvax, it will be rather interesting (to say the least) to see whether or not these bits of dialogue from the OT are tweaked to "fit" the PT.

I shudder to think of it, actually... but there is a sense of morbid curiosity now that you mention it.

#107 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:05 PM

the PT should have started with the republic already in serious decline and the empire almost formed. the PT are just too ambiguous about Good vs. Evil, you need a stronger contrast. It should mirror the OT in that anakin is very musch like luke except he reluctantly joins the Jedi and does all the right things for the wrong reasons whereas luke did the opposite. you could have the last movie or two about anakin hunting down the jedi. instead were left with a cheesy 15 minute montage that sees the end of the jedi. HAHA a F*&%ing MONTAGE to witness the decline of all the jedi in the entire galaxy! Lucas might as well have fit in some "Rocky" music!

#108 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 04 June 2005 - 04:21 PM

QUOTE (Darth Sane @ Jun 3 2005, 06:05 PM)
Lucas might as well have fit in some "Rocky" music!

tongue.gif that would be great. Wasn't there a Samuel Barber knock-off when the blue chick got it?

#109 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 04 June 2005 - 10:00 PM

Somewhere in that muddled head of mine is a plan to get a DVD of the PT, put in on computer, strip the music and rescore it with all sorts of other music - some choices have already been made - Order 66 is "Shiny Happy People" while Anakin and the Tuskens is "Maxwell's Silver Hammer" and there are plenty more besides.

#110 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:47 AM

the PT are just too ambiguous about Good vs. Evil, you need a stronger contrast

Out of all the jumps from the PT to the OT, I think this is one of the biggest. While I like all this hiding in the shadows waiting to strike, I wonder if the PT (and AotC in particular) wouldve been helped if Lucas had brought a big, old skool bad guy (maybe given Dooku a bigger role) into the mix. One of the best things about RotS is that we finally get some bad guys we can sink our teeth into.

#111 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 05 June 2005 - 04:56 AM

That was my problem - Star Wars! With Wars!
TPM and AOTC had treachery and betrayal with secrets and lies... at least ROTS gave us firestorming space opera... though what was with "heroes on both sides" - a droid that functions efficiently does not count as a hero who fought bravely.

#112 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2005 - 05:10 AM

"heroes on both sides"

still dont get that line.

#113 User is offline   Darth Dick Icon

• New Cop

Posted 11 June 2005 - 06:55 AM

That ten to fifteen minute montage had no effect on me. Here we have the jedi getting massacred, and I had absolutely no emotional reaction at all. Up untill that point, the jedi are nothing more than a bunch of confusing idiots and assholes. Thanks to poor character developement, what could have been the best scene in any SW movie has little to no effect at all. A montage to Anakin's turning would have been more appropriate, and Im serious. Seeing Anakin train under Palpy for a few more scenes may have sold me. Instead, Anakin's turn takes less than an afternoon. Still better than AotC, by far the worst of the bunch.

#114 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 11 June 2005 - 09:24 AM

A montage to Anakin's turning would have been more appropriate, and Im serious. Seeing Anakin train under Palpy for a few more scenes may have sold me.

Or the novel idea of instead squandering two movies, use them to show that....
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#115 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:17 AM

Lucas was so busy trying to keep the focus on Anakin that he forgot that the movies have to lead in to the story of Luke

TPM focused on a very insignificant time in Anakin's life. AOTC was a total mess as far as Anakin's character arcing was concerned. ROTS was very rushed and poorly done.

If Lucas did keep a true Focus on Anakin, and in turn on OB1 and Padme, then the PT's would have been a lot better.

I'm still not sure why Anakin went to the dark side. Was it because his past life was filled with memories of his mothers death and **ambition for power** in conjunction with Padme's passing, and his inability to save her? What a fucking mess!

Instead of making Anakin intrinsically evil with an honest but lazy attempt to do good, Lucas painted the worst picture in the world regarding Anakin's evolution.

Anakin should have been the anti-hero from the start. A love hate relationship with Ob1 and an obsession (not love at first) for Padme. He'd pine for her, but not in a healthy caring way. Later on he could learn to love Padme but only realize it after he lost her. bah whatever, any thing is better.

I felt like leaving the theatre and crawling in to the popcorn machine in the hall way after I saw Anakin swear allegience to Palpatine. It was so contrived, forced, and down right fake. And sure the acting in the scene was terrible, but come on, who the hell bought the idea of Anakin changing sides!

Vader of the OT does not connect in any way shape or form to the Anakin of the PT. Anakin would not join sidious, why would he bother? He only did it do save padme in the first place, chances are he'd kill the emporer as soon as possible. Heck, he wanted to kill him with Padme! Anakin wanted to rule the universe with Padme, just like he later wanted to rule with his son. He never for one minute thought about ruling along side Sidious (even though he does for the next 20 odd years....)

May I also point out that this makes the scene in ROTJ, where Vader kills Palpatine, even more meaningless. He planned on killing him all along so the fact that he stuck his neck out for his son is lost. He did not stick out his neck at all, in fact he planned it for the past 20 years!

Not only does the Vader of the OT not connect with the PT. But the the PT Vader takes away from the OT Vader.

*where the hell did that come from any ways, he hung around with JEDI for crying out loud*

This post has been edited by Jordan: 11 June 2005 - 11:19 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#116 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 11:55 AM

Interesting points, Jordan. You're right, it does take away from his final decision to kill the Emperor.

#117 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 11 June 2005 - 02:55 PM

The PT doesn't take away from Vader's decision to kill the Emperor. Even back in the OT, we already know that Vader is harboring treasonous thoughts (from the end of ESB). But he can't go through with the plan on his own. You know why? Because he is a wimp and a coward. The OT makes this very clear. All the nasty evil he inflicts on those less powerful than he...it's all basic bully psychology.

Vader only gets the courage to do the right thing when it comes down to his son's life. Remember all that stuff in the PT about "I will learn to stop people from dying"? The essence of Vader's character is that he tries his entire life to save the people he loves...but he fails miserably at it. He can't accept losing those close to him, and it drives him to the dark side.

The little bit of Anakin left in him loses to Vader when he learns of Padme's death. He has nothing left to fight for, so he gives up. Learning that his son survived somehow must come as a huge shock for Vader. Imagine how terribly conflicted Vader must be. So many years of corruption by the dark side have made him a near slave to the Emperor, but the part of Anakin that wants to save his loved ones is still in there somewhere.

Luke gives Vader the chance to stop someone from dying.

This post has been edited by DarthTherion: 11 June 2005 - 02:57 PM

#118 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 07:39 AM

You know why? Because he is a wimp and a coward. The OT makes this very clear. All the nasty evil he inflicts on those less powerful than he...it's all basic bully psychology.

Then why are we watching six movies about the life of such an unintersting character?

#119 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 12 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

Because GL wisely decided Not to have them all revolve around Boba Fett.

#120 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 12 June 2005 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Casual Fan @ Jun 12 2005, 08:39 AM)
Then why are we watching six movies about the life of such an unintersting character?

Cowards and bullies can be very interesting people. Ever read about Hitler's life?

• (8 Pages)
  • +
  • « First

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size