• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

Who's the real sucker?

#16 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:23 AM

That a boy Renegade, I like you already. Keep attacking the nitpickers. Most have no clue what they are talking about.

You're exactly right though, most people are looking for an Oscar type movie and not for a Star Wars movie. As I said before, if you loved the OT and didn't like ROTS, you've lost all sense of what Star Wars is about.

#17 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:31 AM

But anyway, the point is not your right to not like the prequels, the point is you keep whining about how the movie is shit (and went in thinking/knowing it be shit) yet still paid to see it

Because you don't turely know if the film will be good or not until you go see it. You can have a pretty good feel for how it will turn out, but you gotta go see it first hand in order to form a final opinion.

This whole idea of Lucas winning and us being whiny losers is so passe. Come up with a better agrument.

Most of us thought ROTJ was OK, not great. Go read our fucking posts before making comments.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 21 May 2005 - 03:34 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#18 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:46 AM

QUOTE (Jordan @ May 21 2005, 03:31 AM)
But anyway, the point is not your right to not like the prequels, the point is you keep whining about how the movie is shit (and went in thinking/knowing it be shit) yet still paid to see it

Because you don't turely know if the film will be good or not until you go see it.  You can have a pretty good feel for how it will turn out, but you gotta go see it first hand in order to form a final opinion.

This whole idea of Lucas winning and us being whiny losers is so passe.  Come up with a better agrument.
Most of us thought ROTJ was OK, not great.  Go read our fucking posts before making comments.

Still unable to read.... I said a minority group here not ALL believe ROTJ was shit. Even so, you also believe it was "ok". So basically, the past three movies that have come out before ROTS you guys either thought were at best tolerable and at worst possibly the worst movies you've seen in your life. Are you guys just slow? Did you really expect that the movie would suddenly become amazing despite failure after failure? Listen, its fine to whine about it here and there, but now its just gotten ridiculous. If you really think Lucas's movies aren't good, why not sending him a REAL messege and not going to see the movie.

Btw, i don't buy this whole dialogue bullshit, go watch the old ones the jokes are excessively cheasy. Though the acting I think save those lines (ie. fisher/ford mostly) but still are there... and yes the scripting in the prequels was much worst but in ROTS it was tolerable. I personally believe that generations have changed, and the fact is, people today don't think the same type of humour is funny.

#19 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:53 AM

Btw, I'm in no way a "ubber fan" of Lucas.. I think he did a shit job on the PTs in general but its still his movies. My problem is whiners continually bitching about him even making the movies or doing things in the story that THEY don't agree with, then going around watching his movies anyway (multiple times in some cases). These people also tend to nitpick every small detail error (ie. why is yoda a general OGMGOGMOGMGOMG)

The only valid complaints against Lucas are 1) DVDs only released on Special Edition bullshit and 2) being too lazy to actually weed out multiple contradictions in the PTs vs OT.

This post has been edited by Renegade: 21 May 2005 - 03:53 AM

#20 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:04 AM

QUOTE (Storm @ May 21 2005, 03:23 AM)
That a boy Renegade, I like you already.  Keep attacking the nitpickers.  Most have no clue what they are talking about.

You're exactly right though, most people are looking for an Oscar type movie and not for a Star Wars movie.  As I said before, if you loved the OT and didn't like ROTS, you've lost all sense of what Star Wars is about.

The reality is that, the original trilogy were great movies all around, that everyone could relate too and like. In that sense they are infinitly better than the PT. However, the problem with the first two PT was that it not only failed die hard SW fans that grew out from the OT, it also failed with the general public as well. ROTS just doesn't do that, it was very easily a entertaining and watchable film for the general public (not oscar worthy but than again the only one in the OT that was nominated for an oscar was ANH), and also good nuff for die hard SW fans.

The problem is mostly the conflict between people who liked the OT because it was a good movie vs people who liked the OT to the extent that they fell in love with SW as a series. The people who liked the OT because they simply were great movies quiet frankly could never have been pleased with ROTS while people who fell in love with SW could easily like ROTS as well. With that said I think ROTS is good in general as well, which is shown on players that aren't filled with elitist sw fans who think they are gods (ie. imdb, yahoo user grades, critics grades etc).

#21 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:19 AM

If anyone actually watched the originals and nitpicked it, it be pretty easy as well.

1) In ANH, how did the rebels seemingly find out the "weakspot" of the Death Star practically immidiately while the Empire who BUILT it did not foresee this one weak spot or decide to actually put a better defense on it then a couple cannons...

2) A group of 4 people stormed the largest battle station, rescued someone, and got out of station without a single casualty (and avoided getting hit by countless countless shots)

3) Why did Obi Wan sacrifice himself when Luke and company coulda gotten out safely without him doing what he did and he could of atleast possibly killed Vader before dying.

4) When the pods are released with C3PO and R2D2, why didn't they just shoot them down even IF they were a malfunction...there was literally no purpose in letting them go and shooting them down would of left no doubt on what was in them.

Too lazy to think of more and can't remember at the moment but neway the point is there was gaping stupidity in the originals too if you sit there and think about it.

#22 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:21 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 21 2005, 04:04 AM)
The people who liked the OT because they simply were great movies quite frankly could never have been pleased with ROTS while people who fell in love with SW could easily like ROTS as well.

I agree. I feel in love with the OT at a very young age (Probably around 6 or 7 years old). At the time, I was incapable of judging a good movie, as are most children. Regardless, I've always been attached to the OT.

When the PT came out, I really liked TPM on first viewing. However, when it came out on VHS/DVD I watched it several times, and didn't like it that much. The problem I had was that I found it boring. It starts off great, but once TPM hits Tatooine it dies. AOTC was just overall a really bad experience. On first viewing in the theatre I found it to be boring. The scenes between Padme and Anakin kill the movie.

However, I just saw ROTS a few days ago and I was entertained from start to finish. It had all the old things I loved in a Star Wars film. A space battle, Star Destroyers, light saber duels, and great music. But I think the reason I liked it so much was that it was so tragic. The scenes where the clones turn on the Jedi are very emotional, as is Anakin's turn from a good life with great friends like Obi-Wan into being a very crippled person (both physically and mentally) who ends up having nothing. Yes, there are inconsistencies with the OT but for some reason I just don't care about them.

#23 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Post icon  Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:33 AM

Renegade, you're just conintually bitching about us. Doesn't that make you a hypocrit? We nitpick Lucas, you nitpick us.

We've stated 1000's of good reasons over many posts as to why we don't like certain things about SW. You've used the same reasons over and over again as to why we are wrong for stating our opinions.

Come up with a good reason as to why we SHOULD NOT complain about these films. Civillian number 2 has good retorts to this kind of crap. Ask him. We've heard it all many times.

1) All you do is complain

2) Lucas can do what ever he wants

3) You over look the flaws in the OT

Then too top it off, you make a statement "the only valid complaints.." I guess you're a nitpicker too, but we suck more so cause we nitpick more often, right?

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 21 2005, 03:46 AM)
Still unable to read.... I said a minority group here not ALL believe ROTJ was shit. Even so, you also believe it was "ok". So basically, the past three movies that have come out before ROTS you guys either thought were at best tolerable and at worst possibly the worst movies you've seen in your life. Are you guys just slow? Did you really expect that the movie would suddenly become amazing despite failure after failure? Listen, its fine to whine about it here and there, but now its just gotten ridiculous. If you really think Lucas's movies aren't good, why not sending him a REAL messege and not going to see the movie.

Btw, i don't buy this whole dialogue bullshit, go watch the old ones the jokes are excessively cheasy. Though the acting I think save those lines (ie. fisher/ford mostly) but still are there... and yes the scripting in the prequels was much worst but in ROTS it was tolerable. I personally believe that generations have changed, and the fact is, people today don't think the same type of humour is funny.

We all enjoyed ANH and ESB. We thought ROTJ was Ok. They were not the worst movies we've seen. You just sort of assumed that. Good job. The rest of your opening paragraph is just a mindless rant based on a flawed assumption of yours.

Great, you made some points in the second paragraph. The film was never about dialogue and humour has changed. (yawn)

The problem is mostly the conflict between people who liked the OT because it was a good movie vs people who liked the OT to the extent that they fell in love with SW as a series. The people who liked the OT because they simply were great movies quiet frankly could never have been pleased with ROTS while people who fell in love with SW could easily like ROTS as well.

What are you trying to say? That only true fans of SW could possibly like the PT's? IF so then Lucas is a terrible director since he banks on the loyality of his zealous fan base, and not the average movie goer. This speaks even worse of the PT's. You're such a nit picker, man all you do is complain!

This post has been edited by Jordan: 21 May 2005 - 04:37 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#24 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:37 AM

QUOTE (Renegade @ May 21 2005, 03:46 AM)
Are you guys just slow? Did you really expect that the movie would suddenly become amazing despite failure after failure? Listen, its fine to whine about it here and there, but now its just gotten ridiculous.

Hm, nobody has ever called me slow before... However, despite your opinion I shall continue my nitpicking, even if it is ridiculous. At least it's fun. Nitpicking OT is fun, more enjoyable than watching these films. If you consider it ridiculous, then obviously your place is with the worshippers, not with nitpickers... We've had those before. But you are welcome to make some constructive remarks....

#25 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

You guys still don't get the point.. my problem is you keep whining and moaning and moaning about small little details about the PT (primarily ROTS) and keep crying over Lucas supposidly "ruining your classics". If you don't like the movies the don't go.. I just don't understand how individuals can go to movies they don't like or know they won't like based on previous experiences.

Here's what my impression of you guys would be:

I watch Godfather I and II and love them. I watch Godfather III and realize wow that movie was shit. Then I watch GF IV and V and again decide these movies were shit. Then all of a sudden when GF VI comes out, despite hating three movies in a row (or atleast two with a passion), I STILL go to see the sixth one.

And my point about the SW series fan vs the normal fan was that ROTS was a good movie for a fan of the series but it wasn't exactly an oscar winning movie like the original three perhaps. Even more so though, because of how good the originals were, its near impossible to have pleased people who wanted the prequels to be JUST as good as the old ones. I personally think ROTS stacked up fine with them (especially as a person who loves the SW series) and it actually did resonate with normal people too as shown by its commercial success and reviews by the public and critics.

And no its not a "old" argument that the old ones had cheesy lines. The fact is they did, and that is irrefutable; they weren't as in excess but they had them but were accepted because of acting and possibly a generational divide.

I'm not that nitpicky, i look at the big picture. Special Edition was blatent arrogance by Lucas and yes there were some contradictions that were shameful but to sit there and cry about every small detail that he chooses to do is ridiculous.

This post has been edited by Renegade: 21 May 2005 - 04:58 AM

#26 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:01 AM

No, we get your point. You've stated it so many times that we could not possibly miss it.

We complain about the PT's too much and you think it's lame. End of story.

Great, we like to pick apart certain movies, and glorify others. We're critics in our own right. We talk about many many things. The good and bad.

You're taking one aspect of this forum and blowing it out to be this big deal. When it's not a big deal at all.

#27 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:03 AM

Umm.. basically the entire star wars area is rant after rant of people whining about some intricate detail in the movie(s). Ya theres an oddball good review or compliment (or even valid criticisms) but all in all its mostly crying over things.

I'm actually not trying to make attacks on people personally so if i'm coming across as such then its just because its 1) late and 2) i'm bored and annoyed smile.gif

#28 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:31 AM

Renegade, there is one simple reason why we complain so much about the prequels: It's fun. As Madam Corvax pointed out, it's considerably more fun than actually watching the movies. If it annoys you so much to see our complaints, why do you bother coming here? We've heard the 'get a life' thing hundreds of times before (along with all the other arguments about why the prequels are good) and believe me, once more is not going to make any difference. If you can't stand being on a forum where most people are bashers, I suggest you go and join your fellow gushers at theforce.net, and everyone will be a lot happier.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

#29 User is offline   jariten Icon

• making the nature scene
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:35 AM

Helena- have you seen RotS yet?

#30 User is offline   Helena Icon

• Basher Extraordinaire
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Current age: 22<br /><br />Current occupation: Auditor<br /><br />Interests: Reading, computer games, music, and Star Wars (obviously).<br /><br />Talents: Can't act, can't dance, can sing a little.<br /><br />Loves: Terry Pratchett's 'Discworld' series.<br /><br />Hates: Harry Potter. Surely I can't be the only one?

Posted 21 May 2005 - 08:47 AM

No, I haven't, which is why I'm staying out of most of the RotS discussions. However, given my personal tastes in movies and the spoilers I've seen so far, I doubt I'm going to like it any more than Madam Corvax did. But you never know.
The sandpeople had women and children. We know this because Anakin killed them how could he tell? The children might be smaller but I never saw a sandperson with breasts. Did they hike their skirts and show him some leg or something?

Also, I can see the point of wanting to kidnap a human and use her as a slave, but they didn't. They tied her to a flimsy easel for a month. It's assumed they had to feed and give her water. What for? Was she purely ornamental? I can understand them wanting the droids, you can sell those for a lot of money, but a chick who's only skills are finding non-existand mushrooms and getting randomly pregnant, you're not going to get much.

- J m HofMarN on the Sand People

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked