Chefelf.com Night Life: How Many Reasons To Hate ... ? - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

How Many Reasons To Hate ... ? An Early Guess...

#16 User is offline   Ninja Duck Icon

• Cheer up, emo duck.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:40 PM

Oh no! Has Senator Chefelf comissioned the growth and training of 72 reasons? Will he unleash their fury upon the Jedi with the dreaded Operation 66? When the time is right?

#17 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:42 PM

QUOTE (Lord Melkor @ May 20 2005, 04:28 PM)
Chefelf, so  many reasons as for AOTC, he?!

Than why do you think that this film was liked by some people on this forum who really disliked TPM and AOTC!?

I haven't seen AOTC, and won't see ROTJ, but here's my guess: the people who hated AOTC and who now like ROTJ will eventually form a more accurate opinion. Right now they're still reacting to the initial rush of the music and seeing a movie with 800 other people (which almost always makes it seem better than it is).

Just a guess. Can't say for sure.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#18 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:44 PM

Sith has generally been viewed as better than the others by critics, general public, and more importantly me. It's pretty obvious this one was better than the other two, if you don't think so than you either really liked the other two prequels, or went into this one expecting greatness.

#19 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:43 AM

Chefelf, I give me back hope in my judgement. I was dreading a little bit lest you liked the film when I didn't, but now - hooray! Can't wait to see reasons!

#20 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 02:55 AM

I read another great article that panned ROTS. It made a great point.

Don't say this movie is good because it didn't suck as bad as the other two. That does not make it a good movie. You grade it on it's own meritts.

Give the Chef some time people!!! Let him think and relax, if we rush him and pester him it may screw up the thought process.
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#21 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:05 AM

This is hilarious.

So many people have said "I hate ROTS" and have struggled to come up with any good reasons why the movie is bad such as "General Grievous sucks!". That's a really good point! (100% sarcasm)

Here's a funny little story I happened to come across:

On the eve of ROTS's release, the Nitpickers all had their tickets in advance. They had already made up their mind they were going to hate the movie, yet still wasted $13.95 to see it. The shroud of stupidity had already began to surround them. And then after long wait, the movie began, as did the brainless nitpicking.

"Okay. Revenge of the Sith is the title. Chef Elf didn't like the titles of TPM or AOTC, so it's a safe bet he won't like this title. I'll make sure to bring this up."

"Oh my God! The opening description of the movie had an exclamation mark in it after 'War'. Lucas can't do that! He didn't do it in the original trilogy!"

"The stars in space are CGI! This movie sucks!"

"What kind of ship is that? That isn't a Star Destroyer from the OT. It's CGI, which instantly implies it looks like shit!"

"Oh my God! The whole space battle is CGI! It wasn't like this in ROTJ. I give this movie zero stars."

"Okay, focus. What else would Chef Elf not like about this part? Hmmm, errmm, oh....buzz droids! Who does Lucas think we are? 12 year olds? These movies aren't made to entertain kids! They're made for adults ages 20-30 so he'd better damn well make everything as realistic as possible, just like he did in OT with Imperial Storm Troopers running away from Ewoks and the Death Star entering orbit of Yavin on the side furthest away from the Rebel Base so it will give the rebellion a chance to destroy the Death Star."

"Star Wars has always been about a perfect plot and great acting. We need someone with Mark Hamill's convincing acting abilities. Just look where he went from his stunning performances in the OT."

"Screw this space battle! A war in the stars has absolutely nothing to do with Star Wars!"

"These lightsaber duels suck! Why can't the duels be more like Vader vs Obi-Wan in a New Hope. It doesn't get much more intense than that!"

And as the movie went on, the complaints grew exponentially. At the end of the movie, the Nitpickers were happy because now they would have something to complain about on Chef Elf's Star Wars forum. At first they were hesistant, because they weren't sure if Chef Elf would agree with the reasons. Eventually they began posting, and the people who liked the movie provided valid counterattacks to each stupid argument.

An intelligent person would reconsider their evidence, given that most points were just pointless rants. As where "George Lucas uses the force to explain everything in the PT", the Nitpickers used the fact that "George Lucas sucks" to defend their points. The Nitpickers were becoming a bit embarassed, and feeling slightly overwhelmed with people who actually enjoyed the movie. Lord have mercy on the people who liked the movie, for now they have another Star Wars movie to enjoy. Why would anybody want to enjoy another Star Wars movie?

The Nitpickers were confused and demoralized, but then their messiah spoke:

QUOTE (Chef Elf)
Okay. I've just seen the movie for a second time (the note-taking process) and I've completed a rough outline of notes for my upcoming "Reasons to Hate" list and I've come up with a rough estimate of how many there will be. And the estimate is 72.

Allelluia! The voice of reason has spoken. Chef Elf has returned to save us from being consumed by our own stupidity.

And the Nitpickers lived long and continued to pick apart the movies, yet conveniently always neglected all the flaws in the OT which was to be used as a standard for the PT. They felt bad for those who enjoyed ROTS, because why feel good when you can just complain?

Praise be to almighty Chef Elf. Amen.

And that's the end of the story. I'm not totally sure if it's true or not, but it almost seems like it could be refering to this forum. I do admit having the name Chef Elf in the story is a strange coincident.

#22 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:07 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ May 21 2005, 02:43 AM)
Chefelf, I give me back hope in my judgement. I was dreading a little bit lest you liked the film when I didn't, but now - hooray! Can't wait to see reasons!

I'm glad you judge your own opinions by if others agree with you as well.

#23 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:11 AM

Chef has a good way of pointing things out. IT's funny. It makes us laugh. And we tend to agree with almost all his points.

We love reading his lists, in fact, it's why most of the full time members came here.

Madam Corvax is highly intellectual and she has about 100 thousand opinons based soley on her judgement. If you bothered to read some of her comments then you'd probably not write that crap!

And the Nitpickers lived long and continued to pick apart the movies, yet conveniently always neglected all the flaws in the OT which was to be used as a standard for the PT. They felt bad for those who enjoyed ROTS, because why feel good when you can just complain?

Actually, we've gone through all the OT flaws. Since you're new here, you've missed about 2 years worth of topics.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 21 May 2005 - 04:19 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#24 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:24 AM

Ha ha ha...

I don't know about you Renegate, but as it happens I highly value opinions of Chefelf, and that is why I am here. Basically, there is no point talking to some people, who just don't share your opinion, and don't share the same, how can I put it, frame of thoughts and line of reasonings.

I am just happy that somebody shares my opinion. Aren't you? And as far as I know, there are not many people around like me, who totally dislike the new flick. Even JYAMG, who usually has similar opinions to miine, liked it. I just didn't.

Are you , or Storm, completely sure that the opinions you express are totally your own? Or maybe you've seen one too many commercial?

Storm - have you come up with one reason why should we like the film?

If you liked it, fine. I can understand it. The rants you have listed are basically true, they just need some explanations, but they are valid points.

Let's take the first one, shall we.

Yes, Genral Grievous sucks

I found him cartoonish. I could not believe his being real. I could not fear him, and does not evoke any emotions in me save - gee, what a piece of cool CGI. A robot with a heart? I've heard that there was explanation for that in some catoons or something, but would you really have to read tons of material from EU to understand this bit? General Grievous? What sort of name is that? And a robot that can transform into a "monocycle"? Cool, huh? And so on, and so on...

If the reason to hate is "it sucks", then the reason to like is "it is cool". If you have anything "pro" other than that, let me know.

Jordan, I;ve just read your comment, thank you. It is nice to hear that wub.gif

And you are absolutely right, I've forgotten to mention it - nitpicking is FUN!

This post has been edited by Madam Corvax: 21 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

#25 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:26 AM

Whoa whoa....it was just a story I read. I have no clue if it is actually refering to this forum. I think it's just a coincidence.

QUOTE (Madam Corvax)
I found him cartoonish. I could not believe his being real. I could not fear him, and does not evoke any emotions in me save - gee, what a piece of cool CGI. A robot with a heart? I've heard that there was explanation for that in some catoons or something, but would you really have to read tons of material from EU to understand this bit? General Grievous? What sort of name is that? And a robot that can transform into a "monocycle"? Cool, huh? And so on, and so on...

I thought he was a neat idea. You can't always just play it safe and create human villians, just because they seem more realistic. It's Science Fiction. I'm happy that Lucas is willing to stand on the edge and create characters like this.

I think Lester is a stupid name, but that doesn't make everyone named Lester a retard.

QUOTE (Madam Corvax)
Storm - have you come up with one reason why should we like the film?

I listed several reasons I liked the movie in a different topic.

This post has been edited by Storm: 21 May 2005 - 04:41 AM

#26 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:30 AM

Come again????? Oh, now I understand now, you' re being sarcastic....

There was another story with General Grevious in it .And another forum with Chefelf......? So, was the General Grievous cool or not?

#27 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:50 AM

QUOTE (Madam Corvax @ May 21 2005, 04:30 AM)
Come again????? Oh, now  I understand now, you' re being sarcastic....

There was another story with General Grevious in it .And another forum with Chefelf......?  So, was the General Grievous cool or not?

Honestly though, there is no point of us arguing like this. We each have a special gift called "free will", therefore everyone is entitled to their own opinions. At one point I really liked Chef's reasons and supported all of them. But then I realized that despite they are damn funny, a lot of them are just blown out of proportion. Two months ago I would have been saying "Revenge of the Sith" is going to suck, but then I watched the biography of Star Wars on the OT DVD and gained a lot of respect for Lucas. The man practically sacrificed his family, and even his health at times, to make the movies. So yeah, he made some mistakes in Episodes I and II. But there are good things in them, you just have to look for them.

The bottom line is I liked ROTS a lot. It was 2.5 hours of pure entertainment. I'm glad that I now have four Star Wars movies that I will not cringe to in watching. And personally, I think enjoying a movie is a lot more satisfying than nitpicking one to death.

This post has been edited by Storm: 21 May 2005 - 04:51 AM

#28 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:56 AM

^^^ she merely asked you to state your reasons. Nobody is aruging with you, but the other gushers who only use personal attacks as means to defend Lucas.

Good to know you saw the humour in the writings. All of chef's writings are funny. It's why he does it. It's not in your face funny, but subtle.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 21 May 2005 - 04:58 AM

#29 User is offline   Renegade Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 05:01 AM

There's a difference between defending Lucas's RIGHT to do what he wants with his own picture and defending the strength of his movies. I simply don't like ppl who nitpick every detail of his movies and go on to whine that Lucas has ruined the movies.

People who merely point out contradictions or story holes are fine though.

#30 User is offline   Failureboy2 Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members
  • Interests:smoking cigars and pipes, playing computer games, writing, buying stuff

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:52 AM

Chefelf, I'm impressed that you came up with so many reasons already (then again it's your job to be passionate about this and you have a whole community counting on you).

Personally I would find it hard to muster the energy to make a big nitpick list. The bad parts (Vader's scene aside) had the same...how do I say this..."badness" that the previous movies had - only for the most part it was to a lesser degree. Or maybe they were just as bad and I've become immune to the badness. Or maybe I'm good at ignoring the badness now - or something...

I guess I don't have much anger/disappointment because I had low expectations, you know?

But I'm glad you're making a big list. Good luck!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!"
(worst line ever)

P.S. where would you rate this movie out of the six? (for me its the 2nd worst)

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked