Star Wars Fan Convention

Page 1 of 1

Thoughts on ROTS

#1 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 20 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

Well, I didn't expect much from this film going into it, but I was very impressed after seeing it. At last, a prequel "feels" like a real Star Wars movie, with a sense of fun, danger, and adventure all at once. It's not perfect, but it's a big improvement over the other two movies, and it tells the only part of the story fans are interested in anyway.

The most impressive improvement is in the quality of the acting, which is about ten times better than that found in Episode II. Of course it can still be criticized, but given what they had to work with, this was pretty damn good. Christensen does an excellent job with his role; he is charismatic, and you feel bad for him. Seems like the acting coach they hired for this movie paid off!

The script still has a few silly lines here and there -- but, then again, silly lines are a Star Wars tradition. Overall, though, it handles the seduction to the Dark Side plot line very well. I loved all the scenes with Ian McDiarmid, who steals the show again with his brilliant Iago-like portrayal of Palpatine.

It's interesting that the sense of urgency that drives Anakin's hasty decisions has its root in the "dream premonition" concept, which was established in Episode II. This also adds some extra weight to the concerns of Obi-wan and Yoda in ESB, when they advise Luke not to go off to save his friends on the basis of a premonition.

The battles were incredible, particularly the Anakin/Obi-wan fight with its hellish backdrop. The buildup to that final duel was also very, very nicely done -- Vader's insistence that he could overthrow Palpatine so that he and Padme could rule the galaxy together was such a great touch.

I don't mean to gush it up like this, but this movie really did have a "Star Wars" feel to it. There are, of course, several flaws in the movie, but only one I want to bring up here, because I think it's a really glaring problem that needs to be fixed. Palpatine more or less directly tells Anakin that he can save Padme from death. Then, right after the confrontation with Mace Windu, he changes his tune! He says, "If we work together, I am sure we could discover the secret."

WHAT???

It is a *major* flaw in the plot line that Anakin would follow Palpatine with such conviction after a sudden reversal like that. To get Anakin to bow down before him, he would have to say something like, "I will teach you the secret as soon as we are safe from the Jedi and the Separatists"...*anything* other than admitting he doesn't know the secret! As it is, the movie simply makes Anakin look stupid as all hell.

Yes, Anakin knew that after he helped kill Mace Windu there was no turning back. Yes, he was incredibly desperate. Yes, he didn't completely trust Palpatine and secretly plotted to overthrow him right from the beginning. Even given all that, what Anakin did is so stupid. He should have killed Palpatine on the spot for saying something like that.

I don't even mind the fact that Anakin's decision was so sudden. Even "Othello" gets criticized for depicting a too-sudden reversal of allegiance. But that one line of dialogue needs to be fixed for the movie to have a truly powerful effect.

I just thought I'd point that out. Even with that glaring flaw, however, ROTS is really good, alot of fun to watch, and fairly moving at times. I felt the emotion of that final battle...and I also happened to think that "This is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause" was one of the most powerful lines of the film.

#2 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:39 PM

[quote=DarthTherion,May 20 2005, 07:23 PM]
Well, I didn't expect much from this film going into it, b

This is wise.

The most impressive improvement is in the quality of the acting, which is about ten times better than that found in Episode II.

So let me do the math...hmmm.. 10 times 0 equals...0! I agree. Ten times better!

The script still has a few silly lines here and there
Tell me how you define "a few"?
Q:"How many nerves are in the human body?"
A: "A few."

Overall, though, it handles the seduction to the Dark Side plot line very well.

This is an obvious attempt at irony so I won't comment.

It's interesting that the sense of urgency that drives Anakin's hasty decisions--yada yada yada....

No. It isn't interesting. He's a dufus.

Vader's insistence that he could overthrow Palpatine so that he and Padme could rule the galaxy together was such a great touch.

Until the dufus decides it would be best to choke her to death instead because he thought Obi-WAn hitched a ride.

I don't mean to gush it up like this, but this movie really did have a "Star Wars" feel to it.

I agree. When that STAR WARS logo pops up on screen and the music bounds across the room it is STAR WARS!!!!!!!!! Immediatley after it is...not. (you thought I was going to type 'shit', right?)

There are, of course, several flaws in the movie.....

Severalllllll hundred?

As it is, the movie simply makes Anakin look stupid as all hell.

Did you mean to say Anakin or Lucas here? Oh wait...both apply. Never mind.

Yes, Anakin knew that after he helped kill Mace Windu there was no turning back.

Until Return of the Jedi, I guess. Don't be so forgiving like he had no choice.

Yes, he was incredibly desperate. Yes, he didn't completely trust Palpatine and secretly plotted to overthrow him right from the beginning. Even given all that, what Anakin did is so stupid.

Total agreement here. No joke on my part. Annie is a dufus.

I don't even mind the fact that Anakin's decision was so sudden. Even "Othello" gets criticized for depicting a too-sudden reversal of allegiance. But that one line of dialogue needs to be fixed for the movie to have a truly powerful effect.

Please let's not compare to Billy Shake's work. At least Othello had a Cassio for a love triangle. And where is the handkercheif? (cliff notes anyone?)

I just thought I'd point that out. Because of that glaring flaw this movie sucks. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!! I take back all the good things I wrote before and condemn it to Hell!!!!!!

Whoa! I didn't catch that part before. Sorry, I misunderstood your point. Carry on.

*****DISCALIMER*****

Like Mr. Lucas I kind of rewrote history a bit there to suit my needs now. I'm sure I can be redeemd though.

#3 User is offline   DarthTherion Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:13 AM

QUOTE (Grand Moff Lebowski @ May 21 2005, 12:39 AM)
I just thought I'd point that out. Because of that glaring flaw this movie sucks.  I hate it, I hate it, I hate it!!!  I take back all the good things I wrote before and condemn it to Hell!!!!!!

Well, if I did hate any part of the movie.....

....it's all Obi-wan's fault!!

HE'S HOLDING ME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *weak throw*

#4 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:57 AM

QUOTE (DarthTherion @ May 20 2005, 09:13 PM)
Well, if I did hate any part of the movie.....

....it's all Obi-wan's fault!!

HE'S HOLDING ME BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *weak throw*

rolleyes.gif

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size