Star Wars Fan Convention

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Just saw it... barends angle

#1 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 11:46 AM

you know what...

i just saw it...

but i must get sleep...

if you see it before i return to talk about it...

walk out before vader shows up!!! dry.gif

and put your hands over your ears during the romantic parts and yell "LALALAL LALAL LALALAL AL ALBAH BAH LALALA"

other than that, there's some sweet action.... great opening. waaay better acting (except for any emotional/romanitc parts), many things we thought they would fuck up were totally salvaged, palpatine looks fine, the still i found was just a lighting thing, yodas quality fades in and out, chewbacca was fairly innofensive, bail was okay, most importantly

spoiler:[HTR] anikan does not fall INTO the lava, his clothes catch alight and he get's burnt that way, still savage..... but not ridiculous...

the identity of anikans "father" are revalled, but not in the most direct route, and the gushers will deny it... but i was fucking right!!!! you all owe me $10.00

so anyway... good night.

oh, and an australian girl flew over too the states to wait in line seven weeks to see the film 15 hours after me....

AH HAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHHA HAHAHAHHAA HAHAHAHAHA AHHAHAHAHA

lamewad!!!

#2 User is offline   Dark_Sith Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

And all you people said it the whole movie would suck ass.

This post has been edited by Dark_Sith: 18 May 2005 - 12:04 PM

#3 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2005 - 12:39 PM

WOAW! Write more on ROTS, man. I need to hear this, especially coming from you. PLEEEEEZE write more.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#4 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

If ROTS is as good or close to ROTJ, that'd be fine, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Barend... you're scaring me... I think you just need to sleep on it and let us know.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#5 User is offline   CowboyCurtis Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I lose interest in more things each and every day as things grow more and more mediocre and substandard...

Posted 18 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

If ROTS is as good or close to ROTJ, that'd be fine, but I'm not expecting miracles.

Barend... you're scaring me... I think you just need to sleep on it and let us know.
Flying Ferret

Battle for the Galaxy--read the "other Star Wars"

All I know is I haven't seen the real prequels yet.

#6 User is offline   HeckHouse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:35 PM

I'm looking forward to seeing your opinions on the flick after sleeping on it.

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:29 PM

look, (i need more sleep, my eyes are burning), i warned you people that i would be dazled afterthe deafening Sound FX and sitting with friends drinking beer, etc.

(yes my cinima serves beer)

the CGI has undergone some (long overdue) upgrades in quality and interactive existence.

the lack of mention as to why Genral grevious is coughing and and in ill health... makes seem like less formidable a foe.

many of things we saw in screencaps that we speculated over were completeley different to what we thought the situation was...

most importantly... YODA DOES NOT FART!!!

the wookies are breif and painless... if you can be bothered complaining about them afterwards, then I shall bag you out for wasting time on something that was virtually perfect compared to the heart breakingly fucked Darth Vader.

when it came to choose between the 6' 7" bodybuilder David Prowse and the skinny 6' 1" Hayden Christianson in platform shoes...

they chose wrong. he moves like a hicktown highschool amature theater production of frankenstein... and the dialogue in no way is complimented by the physical acting...
Spoiler {HTR}: he askes about padme, the emporer gives him ill news of the situation, he stomps of the upright bed, his head seems to shake alot, then there is a godawful "NOOOOOOOOOOOOO" and it's just fucked, like nothing else in these films have been fucked before

looks like for the non emotional scenes that Christianson has learned to get by without direction...
Ewen totally was great...
christopher lee was breif but beutiful...

and everybody learned how to use lightsabers...
the fights are so much better.

yoda is better in everyway, but... he still doesn't look real to me (infact, he does sometimes, it's quite inconsistant) but that shouldn't effect the rest of you, i just have a particular eye for such things
his dialogue is abit torturous when it comes to longer lines and stating the obvious like its late breaking news. his fight with palpy is less rediculous (in my opinion, i already know some of you will just hate it on principal),

the nature of palpatines disfigurement was misleading in the trailers, it does not switch on and off, it's battle related damage.... so, put that one at ease (there are many moments like that one, that will make you just go... "ohhhhhhhh, I see... fair enough then."

Back to General Grevious... the asthsmatic coward.
poor by design... if he didn't run away so much, he'd probably have started the film dead. spoiler: his fucking heart is just free suspended in the middle of his chest caging. it's just fucking haning there... i mean, if you snuck up behing him and shot up is ass you'd kill him for sure!!! ... when he utilizes his four arm fighting technique he certainly utilizes it to an effective degree (if only for visual intimidation, but fuck it... it was cool).

i hate the character though on principal (i have a four armed guy in my book, that's all... and he was based on a RPG character i had many years ago), but also because he's just there as an excuse to have someone else important to kill... but despite what the critics say (well actually that's exactly what they say), he serves a few catalystic services aswell... which means that someone finnally learned to right a little less linier if only for a moment...

over all, this movie was enough of an improovement for me to reduce George lucases punishment from a kick in the balls to a kick in the shin.

untill the next time i see that Darth Vader scene.... then it's on.

i will not rate this movie out of ten, because ultimatley, it's imposible to judge on it's own merits.

vague spoiley: i would have liked to have seen the redknights fight...

many of you who hated the first two will enjoy this enough to let many things go... but you'll still have pleanty to bitch about.
those of you who liked the first to, are going to go home and touch themselves afterwards...

bashers: many of your pre-release general grievences will be prooved unwarrented.

gushers: virtually every argument i have had with you will be vindicated as i am prooven right about virtually everything. (excluding misinterpretaions of photos)

more to come...

i must swim around the baords and spread choas....

#8 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:36 PM

also...

when padme gives birth... you'll love the maternal sneeze guard.

#9 User is offline   J m HofMarN Icon

• Knows All The Girls Named Lola
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Tyranny

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:30 PM

This is amazing. It's just like I said, Lucas is just doing the OT in reverse. instead of good good (arguably)poor its poor poor good.

I'm actually getting excited now. What about the dreaded lava surfing?

I don't know about you but I have never advocated that homosexuals, for any reason, be cut out of their mother's womb and thrown into a bin.
- Deucaon toes a hard line on gay fetus rights.

#10 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:38 PM

exaggerated... their on a large structure that is sinking into the lava, then they get onto things: mini lava skiffs or something that come out of nowhere... the platform of them is a few feet about the lava, and they talk for a bit, then hop on the one and fight which is really precarious... it reminded me of homer and snake on the bonet of the car
"hey, this is pretty dangerous"
"yeah you're right"

#11 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 18 May 2005 - 08:54 PM

Wellsy well. I look forward to the projection. Thanks for venturing out, Barend. And for hiding spoilers. smile.gif

#12 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man

Posted 18 May 2005 - 09:39 PM

you're welcome tongue.gif

#13 User is offline   HeckHouse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 02:57 AM

I just saw it.

Loved the opening shot!

I actually thought the very first romantic scene was great.

Anakin's losing the fight and certain things involving the suit could have been better.

#14 User is offline   Storm Shadow Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:18 AM

***SPOILER FILLED REVIEW****

Going in, I had read the reviews (both negative and positive), and I gotta say......I agree with the positive ones moreso than the negatives ones. Why? THE NEGATIVES ONES EXAGGERATED LIKE HELL. After a really tense and extremely well done space fight sequence, Obi and Anakin fight their way through the hanger. I dont know about anyone else, but I absolutely felt the chemistry between them during this part of the movie. You just get the sense they have been through hell and back during the Clone Wars and they've grown so close that they aren't "Master and Padawan" anymore; they are just friends. That was so huge to me. I said to myself, from the beginning of this movie, since George had wasted so much precious time with the other two movies, he absolutely MUST do a great job of making the audience believe that these guys are good friends. In Episode II you got the feeling that Obi was annoyed with Anakin and didnt really want him around; he was more of a pestering nuisance than "a good friend". In Episode III, the respect and comfort level between them is evident.

Now on to some thoughts:

-the Dooku fight went by way too fast, but it was damn good! Thats what pissed me off. There should have been more of a buildup between Dooku and Anakin when Obi got knocked out. I wish they would have talked more shit to each other. Not enough tension. So when Anakin and Dooku are battling and Dooku is telling him to use his anger and fear to defeat him (awesome parallel to the Luke/Vader fight in Empire), I was kinda shocked when Anakin overpowers Dooku so fuckin easily. I was like....wtf? This guy is a master of the dark side! He should have put up more of a fight. But alas, Anakin is the chosen one and nobody can fuck with him (except Obi Wan). BUT! I bought Anakin being conflicted between arresting Dooku and killling him. Which leads me to..

-Ian McDaramind aka EMPEROR FUCKING PALPATINE. His performance was flawless (pre-face shrivel). Every line is delivered with such subtle malice and poisonous guile, I almost WANTED Anakin to fall for his bullshit and come to the dark side. This guy was given a huge role to play and he nailed it. Period. Even when he becomes "the Emperor", with the black cloak and pale skin, I still loved his on screen presence. Some of the critics said that he becomes cartoonish when he revelas himself, and there are a few spots of him going over the top but for the most part, he was the Emperor Palpatine we all know and love from the OT. Awesome job.

-Ewan Mcgregor. Might as well rename this fuckin guy Alec Guiness Jr. I could tell right off the bat that he had dedicated alot of time and patience into making Obi Wan more likable and believeable this time around. He's alot less stiff and more outgoing with his delivery and it makes a huge difference.

-Hayden. Now this guy is never gonna win a fuckin Oscar, but goddamn if this kid didnt improve 100% over his cringe-worthy performance in AOTC. In the beginning, he exudes confidence. In the middle, he plays the romantic part as best as he could. In the end, he is just completely and utterly Darth Vader. Great job.

-Anakin and Padme's romance......now if his wasnt the most exaggerated flaw I dont know what is. It wasnt nowhere NEAR as bad as I was expecting it to be. I was expecting AOTC part 2. Uh uh. Nothing like it. At all. Matter of fact, I BELIEVED they were in love! I completely bought it, and trust me, if Im saying this then they pulled it off well, because the relationship in AOTC was just ridiculous and unbelieveable.

-Anakins confliction with doing the right thing and doing what he feels he must do to save Padme.......I admit, it felt a little rushed. But Hayden did the best job he could and I give him all the credit in the world. If he had been just the slightest bit off target in certain key scenes (the Palpatine seduction, the Jedi Council rejections, etc) the movie would have completely collapsed. I cant speak for everyone, but I definitley understand why Anakin turned to the dark side. He was being manipulated by everyone around him! Palpatine, the Jedi, and in the end, even Padme contributed to his fall. I see George's vision, and I understand what he was trying to do....and for the most part he succeeded, but when you realize how much more emotional and involving it could have been had George spent more time on Anakins conflictions and his fears in Episode I and 2 you kinda get the feeling you were shortchanged. But I digress.

-the lightsaber fights. I loved them. Im just gonna rate them instead of going into detail:
Dooku/Anakin - 3.5/5
Obi/Grevious - 3/5 (the four arms and his whirlwind attack was )
Palps/Windu - 4/5 (the window shattering part dropped my fucking jaw)
Obi/Anakin - 4.5/5 not the best duel ever, but definitely the most emotional of the prequels and you CARED that Anakin was gonna get hurt
Palps/Yoda - 4/5 OMG Lucas dropped the ball!! Dammit!! There's no reason this shouldnt have been 5/5. It was the duel between the two greatest Force users in the galaxy and it was over in a matter of minutes. FUCK!!!!!

-ok im getting tired. But overall, I must say I was completely satisfied and there's no reason a Star Wars fan should hate this movie. There are several moments of staleness and corniness but for the most part, it was awesome.

Best of the prequels by far. Better than ROTJ. On par with A New Hope. Right under Empire Strikes Back.

I give this an 8/10

my life is now complete.

This post has been edited by Storm Shadow: 19 May 2005 - 03:19 AM

#15 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 04:23 AM

Well, I just returned from seeing ROTS.

It was hands down the best of the prequel movies. TPM and AOTC don't even come remotely close to being as good as ROTS.

I will say that this movie was definitely better than ROTJ, close to or equal to as good as ANH, but still not nearly as good as ESB (You can't beat perfection).

The only thing that bothered me a bit was that Palpatine overacted a lot. However, for the beginning and ending of the movie he was fine.

• (2 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size