Chefelf.com Night Life: Later Episodes Amazingly Digressed Technology - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Later Episodes Amazingly Digressed Technology

#16 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:13 PM

Their suits don't look really identicle. It's the same suit as in the OT, I guess, but the one in the PT is a lot cleaner. Perhaps that is insentive to buy more action figures? I mean, I don't know. I'm not a collector.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#17 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

QUOTE (Helena @ May 17 2005, 02:15 PM)
Actually, it's often the other way round. Dictators often spend huge amounts of money building themselves gorgeous palaces and holding lavish parades to show off their shiny new military hardware - they're the ones who can afford to waste money on that kind of thing, after all.

ya, the oppressor gets nice stuff, not the oppressed...
Officer! officer! quick! all my money was stolen by a man in flannel!

#18 User is offline   civilian_number_two Icon

• Canada's Next Top Model.
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 12:51 AM

The "depression" theory defeats something that is at the heart of STAR WARS (and by that I mean ep IV): that the "technological terror" brought out by the Empire is defeated by a return to animism. Luke taps into the Force rather than his targeting computer to destroy the Death Star, just as earlier on board the Falcon he had used the Force instead of his own eyes to see the remote.

If the universe was MORE technological in the past, if the Jedi were already clouded and weak, if technology were already overwhelming the galaxy, then what exactly was it the Empire had done? They sure didn't fill the galaxy with technological terror, since that was already prevalent!

Carrying this farther, if the Jedi religion was already some elitist crap that only a few people ina secret council held on to, if even the Sith were reduced to Vader (and later the Emperor), then what was it the Empire took away? What were common humans doing, wishing the Force on one another? Isn't that a bit stupid, seeing as they're not Jedi anyway?

Yeesh. These movies make no sense.
"I had a lot of different ideas. At one point, Luke, Leia and Ben were all going to be little people, and we did screen tests to see if we could do that." -George Lucas, in STAR WARS: the Annotated Screenplays (p197).

#19 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 03:30 PM

Not to bump this thread or anything, but wouldn't it have been cool if the PT battles used older ships referenced in OT fiction like Dreadnaughts and Z-95 Headhunters? And then have the Star Destroyers and Tie Fighters of the Emperor come in and clean house of the crappy Republic Ships - this would totally reinforce the superiourity of Imperial Ships and the Empire in general.

#20 User is offline   Darth Sane Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:11 PM

Lucas and the ILM staff are very concerned with design EVOLUTION. What the F*&K?! just look at the star destroyers and fighters of the republic. Your telling me that ship designs in the ENTIRE star wars galaxy considerably evolve over the course of roughly only 30 year?! This is insaine! What were they thinking. The american automobile industry changes car design trends slower than lucas's galaxy! This makes the whole universe of star wars seem much smaller...and stupid! So your telling me that the super star destroyer and all the Imperial star destroyers in the Entire starfleet spanning an entire galaxy was constructed in less than 30 years in time for EP IV?! what utter crap...

This post has been edited by Darth Sane: 03 June 2005 - 06:14 PM

#21 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:to inspire you vast and cool intellects to regard Star Wars with more sympathetic eyes.

Posted 03 June 2005 - 06:17 PM

many battleships were constructed FOR WWII. and decommisioned not long after. the empire building new ships with the largest portion of a galactic budget is not crap, not at all.

#22 User is offline   srmoore Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Redcloud Collective

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:38 PM

Actually I think it is quite simple...
When you have to mass produce stuff.. because all the tie fighters and x-wings are being blown to bits.. you loose all the flashy stuff, and go for functional.

Sure they could have all had nice shiny chrome exteriors.. but that costs money. (Not to mention all the polishing that would have to happen.)

That is my take on it. Sure you have nice things before the war, but pretty soon you try to go for over powering in numbers.. plus replacements.. plus things like factories being destroyed.. makes it hard.

#23 User is offline   DJJ Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 03 June 2005 - 07:58 PM

I'm glad to see people desperately trying to conjure plausible solutions to Lucas' plotholes but I'm not entirely convinced. I agree with the possibility of some of the arguments concerning functionality of the x-wings and so forth but I think that between the PT and OT there is a difference in technology not simply style and hence there's at least a slight discrepancy in continuity. The rebels would have to do with less technology but a mad dictatorship would be able to plough absurd amounts of money into technology (hence the death star) and so would be able to take at least the old designs as a starting point and then improve them. However what's really got me worried is this: what if Lucas decides to redo all the starfighters and technology in the OT to make it more advanced thus "solving" the conitunity problems. Arrggggh the horror! If he did I think I might have to find a lightsaber and fall on it...

#24 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 June 2005 - 11:51 PM

its not a continiuty error, lucas says that in his galaxy, a dictatorship means no chrome on the ships, simple. and what BESIDES padme's ROYAL starship was shiny? even the nubian fighters had scratches. but keep in mind they hadnt been used in acctually war fare for a very long time.

#25 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:37 PM

So after watching the prequels, why the hell are the ships in these movies more technologically advanced than the ones in the later movies? Anyone else ever notice that or ask themselves that?

I asked myself that in 1999 with respects to the Naboo Starfighters being sleeker than the Rebel Alliances space armada.

But dont worry, I am sure it'll all be fixed in the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy: SPECIAL EDITION tongue.gif

#26 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:45 PM

Well, you could say they were all shiney because they never got used and Naboo was a fairly rich planet. The rebel fighters were being used all the time, and cause they don't have much resources.

You could say that. I'm not going to, specifically because the fighters in EP III are definitely more advanced than X-wings.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#27 User is offline   Giff Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2005 - 08:57 PM

You could say that. I'm not going to, specifically because the fighters in EP III are definitely more advanced than X-wings.

Hell, even the fighters that the troopers were using that were supposed to "evolve" into the future's X-Wings were more advanced.
Just like the new Jedi Starfighters later got a technology downgrade to become TIE Fighters.

Whatever though, I'll take my TIE Fighter anyday...that shrieking engine could strike fear into the heart of any space pilot.

#28 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:04 PM

Ignoring the fact that sound waves don't travel in space.

I would have a TIE interceptor. No shileds, but way too bloody fast.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#29 User is offline   xenduck Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:10 PM

so uh, how are the prequal ships more advanced? how? what do they do that is so far beyond the capacity of original ships? what?

#30 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2005 - 09:43 PM

^ The way they look! They're just more advanced looking - you have to admit it. More curves, shiny hulls, etc...

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size