• +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

The Moomin/Muumi series OMG PICTURES

#31 User is offline   Rhubarb Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Regurgitator, the Froud family, T.H. White, and Dylan Moran.

Posted 09 June 2005 - 09:38 AM

W00t. I got bored (again) and scanned in the first chapter of my copy of Moominvalley In November, the final Moomin book, and to my mind the strangest and most adult. Some of you expressed a desire to check out the series, and M. Covax might be interested in seeing the English version, so here you are. If anyone's into the idea, I'll scan in chapter samples from some of the other books as well.

Page 1

Pages 2 & 3

Pages 4 & 5

Pages 6 & 7

#32 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 June 2005 - 10:23 AM

Rhybarb, thanks, I really appreciate, this is great smile.gif . As I said, right now I have to pass the last of my exams, and I am sort of preoccupied, but 'll be back. Hope you don't mind if I don't post extensively for another two weeks or so.

#33 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 16 June 2005 - 02:18 AM

Woo! Existentialist thought! I haven't read Kierkegaard yet, though I'd like to. I've been rather lazy this summer. Throw in Sartre to the list of philosophers.

Back to the books: I read Pippi Longstocking! She kicked ass! (Might have contributed to me being fond for red-heads too.) I'll get on Moomin presently.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

#34 User is offline   Madam Corvax Icon

• Buggy Purveyor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 June 2005 - 06:10 AM

I finally had some time to look into Rhubarb's scans and for anyone who does ont believe Mumins are great here is my all-time favoirite quote:

"The quiet transition from autumn to winter is not a bad time at all. It's a time for protecting and securing things and for making sure you've got as many supplies as you can. It's nice to gather together everything you possess as close to you as opssible, to store up your warmth and your thought and burrow yourself into a deep hole inside, a core of safety there you can defent what is important and precious and your very own. Then the cold and the storms and the darkness can do their worst. They can grope their way up the walls looking for a way in, but they won't find one, everything is shut, and you sit inside, laughing in your warmth and your solitude".

"There are those who stay at home at those who go away, and it has always been so"

I am still looking for the quote about skiing. I have to find it, how could I have forgotten where it is?

#35 User is offline   Snufkin Icon

• New Cop
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:53 PM

I just stumbled across this discussion, and had to add my comment.

About their names and the meanings of them, I think it's good they're translated, as they do really mean things, just depends on your opinion and language what.
I live in Finland, so I may as well tell you that the name Nuuskamuikkunen is not an actual word, but it contains the words 'nuuska', which means snuff/tobacco and 'muikku' which means the fish species vendace. I think it might refer to that he smokes the pipe and likes fishing.

Could some one tell some of the character names in Polish? I'd really like to learn them.

Oh, and I didn't know the book Moominvalley in November was the last one, it's always been my favourite due its melancholy, but now I see the reason.

And I think the Moomin characters in Finland are considered a very famous thing coming from Finland. I dear say all the Finnish kids are familiar with them, but actually all from the Japanese TV animation, and only few (those who generally read much) from the original books. Such a pity! Anyway I'm not sure if I presented the case right, I might be wrong too; but anyway the truth is that if some one says 'Moomin' you think about the Japanese animation character, not the Moomin drawn by Jansson. Still, Tove Jansson absolutely is a very famous name. Also, the Moomins are a very popular children's thing in Finland, I possibly cannot describe how popular. They are considered something rather funny, the older children don't (generally) take them seriously. This is a pity, too, because the books (especially the latter ones) aren't just that childish, funny thing, which the animation makes it.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic