Chefelf.com Night Life: Top (Whatever #) Games List - Chefelf.com Night Life

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Top (Whatever #) Games List List 'um.

#16 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:46 PM

FD, If you liked Advance wars you should try and track down a working copy of Warsong for the Megadrive (Genesis). Similar stuff but with swords and sorcery, a bit like fire emblem in fact.

The second games the better of the two, but it's in japanese.
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#17 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

Sidequests in Majora's Mask:

Sun Mask Quest
Romani Quest
Bombers' Notebook Quest
Skulltula Houses Quest
Stray Fairy Quest (fetch quest)

OoT's:

Skulltula Quest (fetch quest)
Biggoron Sword Quest
Mask Quest
Big Poe Quest (fetch quest)
Gerudo Training Quest

While they may be equal in number, in quality, not so much. The only single sidequest in the game that isn't a fetch quest or a 'give this to that guy' quest is the Gerudo Training Quest, while MM's, with the exception of the Stray Fairy Quest (which is a lot less fetch questy than Big Poes), it's an actual quest, not collecting 100 things.

#18 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 08:26 PM

I play Zelda games for long dungeons with fun puzzles not a billion boring side quests. Majora's Mask was rather dull in all aspects.And I don't like where square went after FFVI at all, but the Super Nintendo games were all great. Earthbound was sort of fun to play, but absurd, and the battle system was atrocious. The sound and visuals were also distinctly lacking in any creativity or charm. And Harvest Moon 64 is above Kirby's Adventure by how much?

Listen to me, sheesh. I'm not going to argue over the merits of old video games. To each his own. Unless you liked Superman 64 or Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, in which case you must die.

Oh Eris, somewhere along the way I've died inside.
QUOTE (Slade)
I'm not going to argue over the merits of old video games.

This post has been edited by Slade: 14 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

This space for rent. Inquire within.

#19 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 10:23 PM

Yeah? Well, I personally like it when the game length isn't shoved down my throat. "Okay, go here. Then go here. Then go here. No, nothing there, go THERE." That didn't make any sense, but damn if I ever drop it. I'm not playing a rail shooter where you go on one path and never stray away for anything, I'm playing an Adventure, and I'll take something which encourages me to stray off of the path. That's why Paper Mario, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door and to a lesser extent Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga are so much better than Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars - Super Mario 64 was a six hour romp through Square's Mario world, which doesn't feel like Mario one bit. It's not a Platforming RPG, it's an RPG which happens to involve jumping. Back onto MM vs. OoT... What does OoT have on MM? Game Length? And what are you talking about, a 'billion side quests?' I gave the nod to MM's side quests because OoT's sidequests SUCKED. They were tied, but one of them happened to be nothing but fetch quests, so don't talk 'dull side quests' to me. Also, I don't see how you can like OoT's Dungeons better anyway. The existence of the Water Temple makes them fail as a whole.

So, let's compare, say, all of the Zeldas?

Graphics: The Wind Waker > Majora's Mask > Ocarina of Time
Gameplay: A Link to the Past > Majora's Mask > Link's Awakening DX
Storyline: A Link to the Past > Link's Awakening DX > Majora's Mask
Game Length: Majora's Mask > A Link to the Past > Ocarina of Time
Ingenuity: The Legend of Zelda > Ocarina of Time > A Link to the Past (Zelda 1 introduced the series, OoT did 3D, ALttP sky-rocketed the series in the plot department)
Replayability: Four Swords Adventures > A Link to the Past > Zelda 1
Audio: The Wind Waker > Four Swords Adventures > Majora's Mask
Dungeon Number: LttP (13) > OoT (12) > LADX (11) = OoA (11) > OoS (10) > LoZ (9) > AoL (8) = TWW (8) > MM (7) > TMC (6) > FS (4)

Honestly, OoT can't compete with anything in any categories. Plus, MM's Dungeons are more advanced, sorry to say.

I'm sick of OoT fanboyism and FFVII fanboyism. MM takes a departure from linearity and OoT becomes 'clearly superior'. Also, how are EB's visuals lacking in creativety? So, what, if it looked like Final Fantasy, would it become creative? Also, how is it atrocious? Just because you can't see Ness hit a Runaway Dog with a Yo-Yo?

#20 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

Majoras Mask was a lot less fun to play. The dungeons were more annoying then challenging, and constantly losing your arrows/bombs etc was annoying. Having to wait for the correct time of day to do sidequests was annoying. You have to meet someone at 11, but you can only skip to 12, so that means you have to stand around and do nothing in real time, which got annoying. Not to mention the final bit was stupid. I mean, seriously, what the hell was going on? And the fact that you got stuck as young Link(with the exception of the Fierce Deity Mask)the entire game. I dislike Young Link. Don't get me wrong, it was still a good game, but OoT was superior.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#21 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 02:50 AM

So, you only like Link in one game then?

#22 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 15 May 2005 - 03:20 AM

I haven't played much of the others. But it was adult link in the NES games, as well as in Link's Awakening. It was only A Link to the Past, Wind Waker and the 64 ones that starred a younger link. But in the top down view it never really mattered. Once they went 3D Young Link was a problem. His high pitched wails and general lack of competence compared to his older version was annoying. Plus, playing as older Link gives a much better atmoshpere then playing as a 11 year old.
The Green Knight, SimeSublime the Puffinesque, liker of chips and hunter of gnomes.
JM's official press secretary, scientific advisor, diplomat and apparent antagonist?

#23 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Who am I? I'm Laughlyn, resident Gentleman B*stard of the highest order of the british empire, A geek who's crawled out of the far side of the abyss to wreck havoc upon his breathren. A closet troll, purveyor of bartender brand advice (<br />Call me for realtionship advice\general abuse on +447949623581.... Just don't expect me to answer), thinks-he's-artsy person, and occasional Pirate.<br /><br />Interests? What the bloody hell is this? A census?

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE (A Link to the Past @ May 15 2005, 03:23 AM)
I'm sick of OoT fanboyism and FFVII fanboyism.

Oot and FFVII earned their fanboyism by redefining the way we looked at the genre and the series, they brought lots of new players to the series. Although the FF series went on to butcher all that goodwill by makiing FFVIII. (most of the flaws in the series could be seen coming in FFVI, but everyone ignores that)
IPB Image
I want to go back to the films of the 80's, where plots were simple, and explosions happened regularly....

#24 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:19 AM

I'll take playing as an inexperienced kid over a hardened adult.

Also, if Link is an adult in LoZ, then he is officially the smallest adult I've seen. He's clearly a child. And in AoL, he's a teenager. In LA, he's a child. The only game in which there's an Adult Link featured is OoT, and that was a TRANSFORMATION.

FFVII doesn't deserve the high ratings it gets. It has a lame battle system, subpar plot and blech characters.

Also, OoT may be good, but its is NOT the best. Not by a long shot. People see Adult Link and 3D, and they slap 'Best Game Evar' on it.

This post has been edited by A Link to the Past: 15 May 2005 - 05:22 AM

#25 User is offline   Kirby Icon

• Zzzz
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Geeking out and nerding it up.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:25 AM

I'm going to have to back up Sime's point on the young link thing. His high pitched 'Hye' or 'Hyea' always annoyed me about a quarter into the game.

But please explain the supposed plot alittle bit. Magic mask appears and a big ol moon starts to head to earth. Hmmm

Laughlynn: yeah, FF VII did introduce me to the series, and it has always been that your first FF is your favorite.
The Power of Christ Impales You!
- Tagline for Jesus Christ Vampire Hunter

You've read it, you can't un-read it. Stay tooned for more
TALES OF INTEREST.
I like to be part of the crowd so I want to say that Icey is the best guy ever

#26 User is offline   A Link to the Past Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:26 AM

It didn't APPEAR. It appeared in the sense that the Ocarina of Time appeared... which doesn't even make sense! Majora's Mask is centuries old.

#27 User is offline   Laughlyn Icon

• Token drunk
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 05:53 AM

QUOTE (A Link to the Past @ May 15 2005, 10:19 AM)
FFVII doesn't deserve the high ratings it gets. It has a lame battle system, subpar plot and blech characters.

That's odd, that's exactly how I felt about FFVI. Melodramatic emotional shit shovelling from the people at squaresoft.
IPB Image

#28 User is offline   SimeSublime Icon

• Monkey Proof

Posted 15 May 2005 - 08:39 AM

I didn't mind the plot for Majora's for the most part. Just the end. You go into the moon and suddenly your in the middle of an infinite field with little mask people dancing around. What the hell was that about?

And you're ranking system lacks the important feature of atmosphere. It's why I prefer Golden Eye over Perfect Dark. Sure, it's technically inferior, but I find the entire package holds a better atmosphere. It's really easy to get into OoT, but MM struck me more as being annoying rather then challenging.

#29 User is offline   floppydisk Icon

• The Amazing Bag-Man!
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Movies. Books. Video Games.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 10:40 AM

I can't speak for the plot, because I never finished MM, it was my friends, I only played it at his house, but I do remember that the dungeons were sort of.... hard. Besides, the water temple may have been way too hard, but that doesn't mean that the rest were crap. I think that the hardest dungeons in the series were from ALTTP, but you're not slamming that.
QUOTE (Theodor Herzl)
If you will it, it is no dream.

#30 User is offline   Slade Icon

• Full of Bombs and/or Keys
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Head Moderator
  • Interests:I like stuff.

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:19 PM

I'm proud to say I beat the water temple on my own.
This space for rent. Inquire within.

• (4 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size