• +
  • Last »

ROTS REVIEW ROLLINGSTONE

#31 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

But Primetime, Anakin`s conversion is much more subtle that Luke`s would be if he said yes to Vader or killed him in ROTJ!

This post has been edited by Lord Melkor: 13 May 2005 - 02:55 PM

#32 User is offline   Primetime Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:59 PM

That's definitely true. Obviously, a filmmaker is limited by the constraints of time. If they had really wanted to turn Luke to the dark side, they would have had to offer him something the "good side" couldn't provide. They couldn't do that. In ROTS, Palpatine actually offers Anakin something that the Jedi can't give him.

#33 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

QUOTE (Primetime @ May 13 2005, 12:59 PM)
That's definitely true.  Obviously, a filmmaker is limited by the constraints of time.  If they had really wanted to turn Luke to the dark side, they would have had to offer him something the "good side" couldn't provide.  They couldn't do that.  In ROTS, Palpatine actually offers Anakin something that the Jedi can't give him.

That is dependent on whether the dark side can actually provide something the light side cannot.. In the OT the dark side temptation is not so much a want, but a corrupting influence - once you give into negative emotions of hate and anger the dark side takes over you - like something out of Jekyll & Hyde. It's not supposed to be as if the Jedi makes a rational conscious decision - Good gives me X, but Bad gives me X + Y, Hmmmmm.....

#34 User is offline   Veer Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (Lord Melkor @ May 13 2005, 10:03 AM)
But what do you think of those spots I gave you a link to?

I actually like Hayden`s acting, and McDiarmid is stunning!

The new spots are nice, but Padmes "your breaking my heart" stinks.

That said, I feel GL and the Star Wars production gang are behind the times. The new PT breaks no new ground, even Jurassic Park was more memorable. The new trailers and spots simply don't compare to waht was done for LOTR.

#35 User is offline   JW Wells Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 04:23 PM

The funny thing is that Peter Travers and Rolling stone can usually be relied on to contribute a fawning, blurb-worthy review for any movie, no matter how hackneyed. I wonder if he's being contrarian, or if this is like the old arcade game "Defender", in that critical opinion of ROTS is so positive that Travers, trying to be more positive, has "flipped" his critical register and started back over at zero.

#36 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:47 PM

Every time a character opens his or her mouth, we're subjected to dialogue that would have rung trite in a Smilin' Jack adventure of 60 years ago. The tough-guy taunts that precipitate the numerous light-saber face-offs are so stale-sounding that, at one point, I was certain Master Yoda (Frank Oz) was going to warn an approaching enemy, "Fast there, not so." He doesn't, but he comes close.

Got that one from another reviewer, I love that "fast there, not so".
Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#37 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:02 AM

"Tough-guy taunts"? Oh no. I suppose that Vader's words to Kenobi in their duel might count as a taunt. Otherwise I remember none from Star Wars. Even the tedious Qui-Gon / Obi-Wan / Maul fight was devoid of taunts.

#38 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:06 AM

The author was talking about lame expect taunts. The kind of thing you'd see in a shmultzy action flick. Jedi are not suppose to be run of the mill action heros, but warriors with class.

I've never seen a samurai make lame remarks during battle.

That was the best thing about PT, the final Maul fight, in fact, it was the only thing I've enjoyed in the whole trilogy thus far.

Good choreography, no talk, no flying, and no in your face CG. Just a couple Jedi fighting with light sabres. Simplistic and easy to follow.

Lucas is infamous for righting scripts which sound ok on paper but on the other hand sound like absolute shit on screen. And if he's not writing them, he's giving them the AOK, and that's just as bad.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 14 May 2005 - 04:08 AM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#39 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 03:33 PM

My feeling on all the positive reviews is that our expectations have been lowered so far that we really no place to go but up.

Now all George Lucas has to do to make a moderately "good" movie is to simply not make an excruciatingly BAD one.

We no longer expect him to live up to his earlier films, we just pray he outshines the previous two.

And since the previous two were SO bad, again I say- there's no place to but up.

Still, I long for the day when high praise for a Star Wars movie doesn't consist of "well, it wasn't as bad as it could have been."

#40 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

Yeah. The only place to go, is up, or sideways. Most likely, it will be going sideways, but there is a small chance it will go up. I like being optimistic about these things... even if I know I am lieing to myself.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#41 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:38 PM

And I am already almost in love with Episode 3!

I have seen some TV spots 20 times or more!

Am I an alien on this board?!

#42 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:41 PM

Pretty much, man.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#43 User is offline   Lord Melkor Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 May 2005 - 06:51 PM

The best thing is that this film makes me bigger fan that I ever was!

I lost interest in Star Wars 2 years ago, after reading countless books!

And now Episode 3 has awaken me! And Kotor!

This is the first film I will see a midnight premiere of!

This post has been edited by Lord Melkor: 14 May 2005 - 06:52 PM

#44 User is offline   Dark_Sith Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:17 AM

This really sickens me. You all seem to read one bad review and just accept that this movie will suck, when you people haven't even seen the god damned move yet. Unless you went to chariety premires an all that crap. It just sickens me that people on this board waste their time bashing a movie when practically none of you have even seen it yet.

#45 User is offline   snaithbert Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 15 May 2005 - 01:26 AM

Who's the more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?

In other words, complaining about our complaining doesn't really help matters much.

Also if you want proof that ROTS is going to suck, go see the previous two films in the series.

Don't tell me the man who made those two steaming piles of dung could do anything that much better his third time out.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size