#1 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:I have none.

Posted 12 May 2005 - 07:56 PM

http://www.rollingst...eregion=double1

Check it out!

"the final and most futile attempt from skilled producer, clumsy director and tin-eared writer George Lucas"

It's really well done, he does not give away any spoliers, and manages to rip the film apart.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 12 May 2005 - 08:01 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#2 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:39 PM

That's a harsh review. I hope Travers isn't right.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#3 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

Travers speaks the truth though. ROTS will suck. I mean, you're kidding yourself if you think this film will be any different from the last two.

This post has been edited by Jordan: 12 May 2005 - 08:42 PM

Oh SMEG. What the smeggity smegs has smeggins done? He smeggin killed me. - Lister of Smeg, space bum

#4 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 12 May 2005 - 10:57 PM

Travers is my hero.

#5 User is offline   HeckHouse Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:00 PM

Meh, sounds like a rant to me. I have yet to read a review that wasn't on either end of the spectrum: A gush or a rant. I don't really care about reviews as it is.

As long as the action sequences are good, I will enjoy the film.

#6 User is offline   Just your average movie goer Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:30 PM

Hopefully, even if it is crap, it will at least be vaguely entertaining crap. I wouldn't be surprised if the review turns out to be right on the mark... but hey, it can't be worse than the previous ones, can it?

Can it? unsure.gif

#7 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 12 May 2005 - 11:36 PM

I'm hoping i don't end up hating it as much he does...

but that was one hell of an article...
quite articulate.

#8 User is offline   littlejerryseinfeld Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 12:54 AM

what an outstanding piece of writing.

i was beginning to think the whole world had turned upside down after reading the advanced reviews...

"To hail Revenge of the Sith as a satisfying bridge to a classic is not just playing a game of the Emperor's New Clothes, it's an insult to what the original accomplished. To paraphrase Padme: This is how truth dies -- to thunderous applause."

#9 User is offline   azerty Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 01:21 AM

The fact that this movie is to be simultaneously released in something like 20,000 cinemas around the world is slightly worrying. That's what you do when you know that the word will get out pretty quickly that the movie is crap.

I also notice that the tomatometer is droping, (was at 90 percent) now that the poodles who were invited to see it first are beginning to be diluted by the ranks of the sane.

However, to quote myself from long ago
azerty Posted on: Dec 18 2004, 11:52 AM

.... Those little kid jedis, well let's just say I wish Annakin would do a Sand People on them. 

Maybe all my hopes and dreams will come true. Yipee!!

#10 User is offline   DBrennan3333 Icon

• New Cop
  • Interests:Aside from finding myself pathetically addicted to ChefElf's writings, I'm big on:<br /><br />-Star Wars<br />-Futurism<br />-Studying Systems<br />-The Matrix <br />-PS2<br /><br />But that's kind of forcing myself to be specific about things that are ever-changing and actually really broad in the first place. <br /><br />Really I get interested in lots of things.

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:05 AM

Certainly there will be some people who don't like ROTS, just as there were people who didn't like 'Titanic' (the most successful of all time both in the U.S. and globally by a MILE) and there were people who DID like 'Gigli' (Jimmy Kimmel said he liked it, so there's a trivia question you can use at your next pop culture shindig).

But I am 100% certain that the vast majority of people who see it will enjoy ROTS, most of them quite intensely.

And the fact that this particualr critic says that the picture will get "thunderous applause" is proof that either (1) he doesn't really believe his own points about the picture or (2) he's hedging his bet in case it's a bit hit, which shows that he's a phony.

Really, I can decide for myself whether I like a picture or not. I mean, I don't need this dude to tell ME what I think of a movie. Sure, sometimes I read critics because there's something about a picture that gnaws at me which I can't articulate, so I dig through a few reviews in hopes of swiping a good point, but that's the rarity.

I took my younger brothers to see a remake of one of my all time favorite pictures, 'The Manchurian Candidate,' because the critics were slobbering all over it. It was the biggest piece of shit any of us had ever seen. It's my money, my time. I'll fucking decide what I think.

This post has been edited by DBrennan3333: 13 May 2005 - 02:07 AM

#11 User is offline   Jordan Icon

• Tummy Friend
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:10 AM

The previous post sponsered by, Paid lobbyist.

biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by Jordan: 13 May 2005 - 02:11 AM

#12 User is offline   Casual Fan Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 02:30 AM

The review makes the interesting point in that the prequels have only enhanced the reputation of the three original movies. I wonder if this is what Lucas was really after?

#13 User is offline   Paladin Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:07 AM

Very, very harsh, but nonetheless truthfull. I've actually used phrases similar to his when I was criticising Star Wars way, way back, and that's one of the reasons why I like him.

But one thing that I disagree with him is when he calls the young Anakin in TPM a 'snot-nosed kid' is wrong. Anakin in TPM was a very well-adjusted kid, well behaved, very caring and helpful, and an all-round sweetheart. What pains me the most is seeing turn into a complete psychopath in AOTC after a seemingly good start... pirate.gif

#14 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 07:06 AM

I don't know what to believe until I've seen it, but the Rolling Stones review does ring true. The weird thing is, I've seen many reviewers who absolutely hated episode I and II actually praise RotS calling it "magnificent" and giving very high marks. One things for sure though, it'll be the best PT film. The question is: will it be better than RotJ? Meh, probably not...

#15 User is offline   rangwe Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 13 May 2005 - 09:03 AM

Great read. Thanks for the article!

I think that its becoming more mainstream that the actors are not to blame for the slapstick comedy. For example, I have a lot more respect for Ewen McGregor as a result of what he's accomplished *in spite of* the pap he's forced to endure. Pretty sad state of affairs, I reckon.

I think its hilarious that the acting and writing is *still* so godawful dumb-down stupid. Promises to be comedy night at the theater with my buddies come Doomsday Plus One. The reviewer hits it right on the nose. I don't doubt that the visuals will be impressive (never have, the curious amateurism of the revised originals aside, Lucas is the Master when it comes to a certain "feel" for the technical aspects.), as the fact that Lucas can Produce and work his cyborg special effects creator pods better than anyone is right on. Just a shame he had to think he could direct and write. He needs *help*.

But anyway, keep on keepin on with the links to good negative reviews folks. I feed on their hatred and ready my six-armed lightsaber-wielding Kali statue for some serious whup-dee-doo!

We have a serious Uh-oh here, roger that.

- rangwe

P.S. HK, *LOVE* your new image at the bottom. I snarfed my RC cola when I saw the muppets. Priceless.

• (7 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size