Chefelf.com Night Life: 1977 Star Wars - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

1977 Star Wars 1977 Version... golden classic.

#1 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 08:27 PM

I want to make a statement. Recently, I got ahold of my old copy of Star Wars... the 1977 version of the video. Different cover... different SW logo at the top... and did you also know that ANH was meant to be the end of the whole thing? Beginning and end, yes. But, they took it further and made two other ones. But that isn't what this thread is about.

When I sat down and watched it, I was pleased with myself. There was pride in my heart that I was sitting and watching the TRUE Star Wars. And I decided to watch it as it's own movie... without the other two in mind. That made it even MORE beautiful than it already was. Everything about this movie spelled 'classic.' Even if the picture was fuzzy, it still had special effects quality... the 1970's kind of quality. I didn't mind the orange blur on the landspeeder when Luke, Obi-Wan and our two droid friends went into Mos Eisly. I didn't mind that Mos Eisly wasn't filled with a bunce of generic people and dinosaurs. YOU KNOW WHY? I had my imagination. The movie was there to prompt my imagination to work... and I sat and imagined what a busy day in the city would be. And let me tell you, my dear friends, it was better than any special edition or DVD version! I don't need special effects shoved up my ass by George Lucas... back then... those special effects were good... and now... only a few people realize that they still are.

Take a good look at the poster of Star Wars, my friends. Let is soak into you, as the classic it was, and still is.

SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#2 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:40 PM

Some time back I watched my Original Original Trilogy movies, just to see if they were still okay - my Return of the Jedi is shot, but my Empire is doing okay and my Star Wars is in great nick.

And I have to say I loved it more than I had before - because of the revisionist history. It was almost beautiful to see Han blast Greedo without Greedo shooting first, it was great not to see the stupid Mos Eisley backgrounds and to miss the badly-edited Biggs/Red Leader/Luke conversation. I loved the old special effects - not seeing the ring in the Death Star explosion...

It is, to me, the best of the Star Wars movies - seamless, classic, virtually perfect.

Though I would still like to see the 1995 THX remastered version.

#3 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

It is, to me, the best of the Star Wars movies - seamless, classic, virtually perfect.

I fully agree with you. Too bad that Lucas is so stupid, as to not see that there are people who just want the first movie on DVD... not tampered with, just visually cleaned. crying.gif

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#4 User is offline   barend Icon

• Anchor Head Anchor Man
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Crappy News Team
  • Interests:The Beers of Western Europe, Cognac, and constantly claiming the world would have been a better place if Napoleon had won.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:11 PM

just signed...

#5 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Food, books, movies, history, languages, religions (though I'm an atheist), miracles of nature and marvels of technology.<br /><br />Particularly: steak, the Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, The Dark Ages in Europe, the 'created' languages, the mythologies of defunct European cultures, fish and cars.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:12 PM

As did I - as probably will most people on this here Fan Convention that read this if they haven't already.

#6 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:19 PM

Good, good. The more people the better.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#7 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

"It is, to me, the best of the Star Wars movies - seamless, classic, virtually perfect."

I wholeheartedly agree!!

"Though I would still like to see the 1995 THX remastered version."

BLASPHEMY!!! IT is another in a long series of crimes for that man. The origianl THX is the ONLY one to see. Don't get me started....

This post has been edited by lebowski: 09 May 2005 - 10:46 PM

#8 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 10:55 PM

Whats wrong with the visual cleanup job?
I'm not talking about the full Special Edition Greedo-Shoots-First version, I was just saying it might be cool to see the original theatrical cut on a younger video than the ones I have, with the polished visual effects but without the altered content.
I haven't seen them, but I would like to see them.
And even if they are blasphemy, they are the first in a long series of crimes... unless you count the Ewoks and Jabba's Palace and his first edit of Empire.

#9 User is offline   Despondent Icon

• Think for yourself
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Laughter. Louis pups. Percussion. What binds us. Bicycling, Tennis.

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:05 PM

Saw it a week ago. (the unchanged 1977, 1995 THX version.)

It's even better now that it's no longer sanctioned.

What's with the first edit of Empire? the Luke/Leia kiss?

Thanks for presenting the '77 poster, SW is us.

edit: Sorry the box spines are out of sequence.

This post has been edited by Despondent: 09 May 2005 - 11:06 PM

#10 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2005 - 11:34 PM

Now those are much-loved videos!

Are these the legendary 1995 THX remastered versions? Can it be!

"What's with the first edit of Empire? the Luke/Leia kiss?"

Nah, George was having a bad love life during the post-production of Empire so his first edit had all the love scenes cut from it, but Kurtz and Kershner managed to bully him into the version we see today.

#11 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:23 AM

QUOTE (Mnesymone @ May 9 2005, 10:55 PM)
Whats wrong with the visual cleanup job?
I'm not talking about the full Special Edition Greedo-Shoots-First version, I was just saying it might be cool to see the original theatrical cut on a younger video than the ones I have, with the polished visual effects but without the altered content.
I haven't seen them, but I would like to see them.
And even if they are blasphemy, they are the first in a long series of crimes... unless you count the Ewoks and Jabba's Palace and his first edit of Empire.

My bad. I thought you wrote the THX-1138 movie. I see now you merely meant the THX mastered version of the OT. Please....feel free to roam about the cabin.

Sorry.

#12 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:25 AM

By the way...I don't even mind the "not cleaned up" versions.
They're great films. Lets remember them as they were. CLean-ups are nice, sure. But these are powerful enough to stand on there own, any year, any time.

IamLebowskisTwoCents

#13 User is offline   Mnesymone Icon

• Champion
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 01:39 AM

Its cool.
I have the original theatrical and the special edition VHS - and I do love the not-cleaned-up version, but given how nice some of the clean-up jobs are, particularly the hoth sequences in Empire it'd be nice to see the cleaned-up but not messed-with version.
Also there's a concern that my original theatrical videos are old - perhaps dying... my ROTJ is in thoroughly poor condition, while my Star Wars and Empire are still trooping along but there are only so long they'll last.
George really has to release the theatrical cut on DVD soon... as a peace offering to his alienated fans, or at the very least a moneymaking venture.

Lebowski, am I to take it that you have seen Electronic Labyrinth?

This post has been edited by Mnesymone: 10 May 2005 - 01:42 AM

#14 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 07:01 AM

OH. I know which ones you are talking about now. Sometimes I see them in video rental stores. Never watched them. Maybe I'll rent them and keep them to myself. I'm about to move to a different town, anyway.

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#15 User is offline   BinarySunset Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 10 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

(the unchanged 1977, 1995 THX version.)
It's even better now that it's no longer sanctioned.

Wordy McWord (tm TWoP board). These are the versions I have proudly displayed on a "mini shrine" in my living room. I have both the full-screen and the widescreen versions and I "lurve" watching them.

given how nice some of the clean-up jobs are, particularly the hoth sequences in Empire it'd be nice to see the cleaned-up but not messed-with version.

Mnesymone - you are a cool dude... that is exactly what I love about these THX editions: they are cleaned-up for the small screen and so IMO they look and sound the way I remember seeing/hearing them in the theater (back when there were only "twin cinemas" with HUGE screens instead of 22 "slightly larger than home theater" screens.
(I thought this was the point of having video technology in the home - so consumers can "relive" their theater-going experience. Alas, GL has other ideas. wacko.gif) But I digress...

Mnesymone, I mentioned this in another thread in one of my first posts (can't believe I've been here a month already). I'm tellin' ya: SecondSpin.com and Ebay are the places to find the 1995 THX [untouched content] versions. You do have to ask some questions to make sure it's the version you want, but trust me - when I read what GL had planned for that box set, I got my beloved OOT and have not worried about that "poser" version on dvd. Give it a try before they all go!

"Mind what you have learned! Save you it can!" innocent.gif

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size