Chefelf.com Night Life: A question regarding Samuel L. Jackson - Chefelf.com Night Life

Star Wars Fan Convention

• (3 Pages)
  • +

A question regarding Samuel L. Jackson If you hate him in these films...

#16 User is offline   HK 47 Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 May 2005 - 02:38 AM

My main beef with Mace is that he doesn't really accomplish anything important. He hangs out with Yoda and the council, talks a lot. He brings the Jedi to the wholesale slaughter in the Geonosis arena (and no, it's not worthy of mention in the Jedi archives since it was a strategically insane move). Then he gets creamed by Sidious. Is the character really necessary?

#17 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 May 2005 - 07:17 AM

I guess not, HK. If lucas wasn't so lazy, he could have made Mace a more likeable, heroic character.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#18 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip
  • Group: Junior Members

Posted 19 May 2005 - 03:26 PM

I don't mind Jackson, or Mace's character. However, I feel that, like Boba Fett, they are vastly overrated. Why, when The Phantom Menace came out, did everyone treat Mace like he was one of the most important characters? He basically sat around, read lines with no personality whatsoever and held up a lame little viewscreen, pretending that there were pictures of ILM vehicle renders on it.

In AOTC, he had more of a role, but problems remained. His dialogue was poorly delivered, and he had some terrible lines. "This party's over," felt like such an out-of-place line. Would anyone have said that in the originals? No. It's here to make Mace seem cool and badass to the young crowd. Sorry Lucas, but this was NOT needed. Just give Mace a lightsaber and let him kill lots of droids. That shows that he's cool. Not him delivering ridiculous lines like that.

#19 User is offline   Storm Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 May 2005 - 05:45 PM

I'm glad that Windu wasn't a likeable character, it made his death in ROTS so much more satisfying.

And "this party's over", how do you NOT laugh at that?

This post has been edited by Storm: 19 May 2005 - 05:46 PM

#20 User is offline   ernesttomlinson Icon

• Level Boss
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:47 AM

"The party's over" wasn't as bad an incongruity as "That's gotta hurt!" from Episode I but it was pretty bad. I didn't laugh, I winced. The context didn't help either, seeing as how the Jedi did such an incompetent job of crashing the party.

#21 User is offline   Bohrok Awakener Icon

• Henchman
  • Pip

Posted 20 May 2005 - 11:47 AM

"That's gotta hurt!" was pretty bad. It felt like something a kid trying to be smart would say on Earth. I know that the characters all speak Basic/English, but Earth-like kid phrases should be kept out of it.

"This party's over," was the most offensive for me, because it did feel like Mace trying to look cool. Mace is a wise Jedi Master, but also a good fighter. Note the 'wise' part. He wouldn't go around saying things like this. Could you imagine Yoda or old Ben saying this?

Vader: "Your powers are weak old man!"
Obi-Wan: "I don't think so. This party's over!"

And as ernesttomlinson said, it doesn't make much sense. What did the Jedi do? They provoked a full-scale battle droid attack, got most of themselves killed, had to be rescued by the clones, and initiated the first battle of the Clone Wars. Idiots.

#22 User is offline   StarWarsIsUs Icon

• Awesome Possum
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 May 2005 - 01:20 PM

What was really bad in AOTC, was all the stupid puns that came from Threepio.
SecretShadow (SuperShadow's main adversary)

Endor Holocaust
FIND OUT THE TRUTH

#23 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2005 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (StarWarsIsUs @ May 20 2005, 10:20 AM)
What was really bad in AOTC, was all the stupid puns that came from Threepio.

Episode I commic refief award goes to.....Jar-Jar
Episode II commic refief award goes to.....C3PO
Episode III commic refief award goes to.....R2-D2

Congratulations to the winners! It is a collaborative, team effort to pull off a feat of this magnitude. If not for this group effort it would not be possible to completely screw up a classic and iconic story like Star Wars.

Now on to the other awards....

#24 User is offline   The Lord of Dorkness Icon

• New Cop

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:56 AM

Well, actually, GL came with an explanation as to why Mace's lightsaber is purple:

Mace has a fighting style closely related to the dark side, therefore, his saber is a mix of ordinary and red.

And as to why Sith-sabers are red: According to KotoR 1, the Jedi use crystals in their lightsabers. To become a Jedi, you must travel to the cave of crystals and collect one (not so easy as it sounds). The Sith, however, create '"crystals" from metal. These give a red glow.
[Qoute] it's not me using a double standard, it's you using a half-standard.
(that should be in someone's signature) [/Qoute]
As you command, Lord Barend.

#25 User is offline   Grand Moff Lebowski Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 11:21 AM

QUOTE (The Lord of Dorkness @ May 21 2005, 03:56 AM)
Well, actually, GL came with an explanation as to why Mace's lightsaber is purple:

Mace has a fighting style closely related to the dark side, therefore, his saber is a mix of ordinary and red.

And as to why Sith-sabers are red: According to KotoR 1, the Jedi use crystals in their lightsabers. To become a Jedi, you must travel to the cave of crystals and collect one (not so easy as it sounds). The Sith, however, create '"crystals" from metal. These give a red glow.

Oi......Although there are elements of this that MAY be interesting, if it's not on film, I don't care. It is lame to have all of this backstory and be too lazy to show it in the film in an interesting way.

Lazy.

#26 User is offline   The Lord of Dorkness Icon

• New Cop

Posted 21 May 2005 - 03:30 PM

I know, I wasn't defending him, I was helping those of you that didn't know.

I agree, he should have mentioned this in the films.
[Qoute] it's not me using a double standard, it's you using a half-standard.
(that should be in someone's signature) [/Qoute]
As you command, Lord Barend.

#27 User is offline   diligent_d Icon

• Soothsayer
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 21 May 2005 - 04:04 PM

"This party's over," was the most offensive for me, because it did feel like Mace trying to look cool. Mace is a wise Jedi Master, but also a good fighter. Note the 'wise' part. He wouldn't go around saying things like this. Could you imagine Yoda or old Ben saying this?

I dunno, for me the worst was the Trade Federation aliens (forget what they were called - don't care) uttered the line "Are you brain dead? I'm not going in there with two Jedi!" For me that was when I knew whatever hope I maintained for the movie would be for naught.

This post has been edited by diligent_d: 21 May 2005 - 04:05 PM

#28 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 21 May 2005 - 06:44 PM

Right, this is more up Mace's alley:

I been sayin' that shit for years. And if you ever heard it, it meant your ass. I never really questioned what it meant. I thought it was just a cold-blooded thing to say to a motherfucker before you popped a laser in his ass. But I saw some shit this mornin' made me think twice. Now I'm thinkin': it could mean you're the evil man. And I'm the righteous man. And Mr. light saber here, he's the shepherd protecting my righteous ass in the valley of darkness. Or it could be you're the righteous man and I'm the shepherd and it's the world that's evil and selfish. I'd like that. But that shit ain't the truth. The truth is you're the weak. And I'm the tyranny of evil men. But I'm tryin', Palpatine. I'm tryin' real hard to be a shepherd.
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#29 User is offline   SPQR Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip
  • Group: Former Members
  • Interests:To expand the realm, bring order to the fringes, and to hunt down and destroy the pretenders of the triumverate.

Posted 22 May 2005 - 11:58 AM

Also, Williams should have added a little bit of "Shaft" theme music to the score in the Windu/Palpatine dual.
An nescis quantilla sapientia mundus regatur

#30 User is offline   julie123 Icon

• Mini Boss
  • PipPip

Posted 25 May 2005 - 02:02 PM

QUOTE (Lord Aquaman @ May 9 2005, 04:43 AM)
I've met a lot of people - fans and non fans alike - who seem to habitually loath the presence of Samuel L. Jackson in the Star Wars prequels, some because they feel he is wasted (along with many other fine actors), some because his lightsaber is purple (which he personally requested), others simply because as a Jedi Master he doesn't get to curse, and some simply because he's Samuel L. Jackson. I personally have nothing against the presence of Samuel L. Jackson in these movies - there are other far more annoying distractions worth hating - but if you find yourselves hating Sam in these movies, I would like to hear them so that I can understand better why you don't want him in these movies (among other fine actors).

dry.gif dry.gif

I hate Samuel Jackson because he seems to think he's in Pulp Fiction and relies on posing, bad posing at that, rather than acting. However, I'd like to know who those other fine actors are. McGregor/Portman and that Danish bloke in particular need to practise in front of mirrors before they are let loose in front of cameras.

• (3 Pages)
  • +

Fast Reply

• Decrease editor size
  • Increase editor size